View Full Version : I can't set a mp3 as a ringtone

aghiutza
10-30-2007, 06:40 PM
I have a HTC S710 (Windows Mobile 6). I copy the mp3 files in the "Windows/Rings" folder or in the "My Documents" folder. When I go to Settings -> Sounds, the mp3s appear in the list, but when I choose a mp3 as a ringtone and I press "Done", nothing happens. If I choose a ringtone that came with WM6 (.wma), it works. The thing is that it used to work until a week ago.

What could be the cause of this problem? The only sound plugin that I have is "TCPMP AC3 plugin", but I uninstalled and it still doesn't work. I also uninstalled Pocket Player and TCPMP. All I have now is Windows Media Player and Audio Manager.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Temporale
10-31-2007, 03:14 AM
try reducing the bit rate of your MP3. Also, make sure the size isn't too large.

I have no problems playing MP3s as ringtones on my s710.

aghiutza
11-01-2007, 01:18 PM
I tried that, using small sized mp3s as ringtones, but it doesn't work. Actually, I've tried just about anything (uninstalling programs, moving files form one place to another). The thing that bugs me the most is that it used to work like a charm two weeks ago. I'm thinking that maybe it has something to do with one of the application I installed.

I want to contact the technical support for Windows Mobile, but I haven't found an email address. All that I found is a forum (Windows Mobile Owners Circle Forums), which hasn't proved itself very helpful. Probably I should write an email to the technical support for Windows for PC, and hopefully they'll guide me in the right direction.

Another option is to reinstall Windows Mobile. But I don't really want to do that (I don't know if I have to pay for it and I wouldn't like that), I still hope that there is a solution to my problem.

Mike Temporale
11-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Chances are good that it's something you installed. It works just fine on my device.

As for tech support, you won't find anything for inMo directly. Microsoft doesn't sell to the consumer. You need to find tech support from your carrier or the hardware manufacturer.

There is no "reinstall" for Windows Mobile. You can hard reset your device to return it to the factory settings, but it's not like your desktop PC. You can't just reinstall the OS. Well, not really anyway. ;)

Rocco Augusto
11-20-2007, 09:03 PM
I had this same problem on my Samsung Blackjack when I was testing the WM6 ROM. I finally seemed to get it to work by lowering the bitrate to 64kbps and dropping the total track time to less than 30 seconds.

Hopefully that helps!

swapnilgyani
11-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Hmmm, that is strange indeed. MP3 ringtones work totally fine on my vox!

Before going for a hard reset, try uninstalling the softwares u've installed recently