View Full Version : Sync Media Player with Zune?

shelby756
10-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Have I totally screwed up buying a Zune or am I missing something? I have tons of music that I have downloaded into Windows Media Player and now have this new Zune that I would like to sync with. I keep getting the "protected error". All of my music is from my own CD's. Is there a way? Thanks, Alice :confused:

Jason Dunn
10-21-2007, 10:00 PM
First off, welcome to Zune Thoughts. I wish I had better news for you on your first post... :(

I think I know what the problem is: in Windows Media Player 10 and 11, in the Rip Music settings there's an option called "Copy Protect Music". On Windows Media Player 11 on Vista, it's not checked off by default...I'm not sure whether or not it's checked off on Windows XP or Windows Media Player 10. But in essence, when that box is checked off, it applies Digital Rights Management (DRM) to your WMA files - even through the music is your own off your own CDs. So while Windows Media Player can play your files because it has the licenses for it, the Zune desktop software uses a slightly different type of DRM. I don't know of any way to get the Zune software to work with the Windows Media Player DRM.

I don't know if there's a way around this...but it's a good example of how problematic DRM is. All I can think of us that you re-rip your music without having that option turned on, ideally in MP3 format.

shelby756
10-22-2007, 04:00 AM
Jason,
Your the best. Thank you so much for the response. I just knew this would be the answer to my problem. I feel stupid that I did not explore this before spending so much money; but I never dreamed Microsoft would not work with Microsoft. Hope I can return it and make a better choice in choosing a different MP3; if not I hope I can reburn correctly. :eek: Thanks, Alice

Sven Johannsen
10-23-2007, 04:34 AM
If you did have protection turned on when you ripped, which it sounds like, you are looking for Plays-For-Sure compatible players. These are the ones that comply with the WMP form of DRM. While there are a lot of them, and good ones too, it appears the MS has kind of abandoned that direction.

While it is a PITA, Iwould say bite the bullet, blow away your collection and re-rip with the protect check turned off. You can keep the Zune, which is due for a significant upgrade shortly, and you won't have any issues with any other player you may buy in the future.

The bad news is you still need to use the Zune software to sync the Zune, but it will just absorb your Media Player Library, and use it, assuming the DRM was turned off when you ripped it.

Talyn
10-24-2007, 05:01 PM
I haven't paid attention to DRM news, has Microsoft totally dropped PlaysForSure or have they only dropped it on the Zunes?

Jason Dunn
10-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Hope I can return it and make a better choice in choosing a different MP3; if not I hope I can reburn correctly

It's indeed completely and totally ridiculous that the WMAs you ripped with Windows Media Player won't work on the Zune. But rather than returning your Zune, I'd like you to think of your ripped music collection as being "tainted". Every file has DRM, and I guarantee that it will be continue to be a huge headache for you, even if you get a PlaysForSure player that it will work on today - what about a couple of years from now? :(

It would be a huge pain, but if you re-rip your music into nice, high-quality MP3s (256 kbps is good), you'll have music that will work on ANY player in the future.

I think the short-term pain of re-ripping would be offset by the long-term gain...

Jason Dunn
10-24-2007, 10:32 PM
I haven't paid attention to DRM news, has Microsoft totally dropped PlaysForSure or have they only dropped it on the Zunes?

It's still fully supported, and new players are being released, but the music services are fading away...MSN Music goes away, Urge being rolled into Rhapsody, etc.

Investing in ANY music tainted with DRM is a bad investment. :(

onlydarksets
10-25-2007, 12:24 AM
I think the short-term pain of re-ripping would be offset by the long-term gain...

I agree, although I ripped everything to lossless (I use WMA Lossless, but you could use FLAC, as well). The benefit is that if you buy a Zune, you can batch convert everything to WMA one time, then if you get an iPod, you can batch convert everything to AAC one time. Disk space is cheap, conversion is simply clicking a button and waiting. The benefit is that you never have to convert from lossy to lossy format.

***long quote trimmed by mod JD***

shelby756
10-25-2007, 01:07 AM
Thanks to all of you, especially Jason, for the great info., of course much of it I don't understand but that's okay I don't need to. I may take the advise and re-rip...........gosh I hate to. Do I understand that an I-Pod will infact work okay with Windows Media, if so isn't that funny. What is another great MP3 that is avalable today? Thanks again.:)

onlydarksets
10-25-2007, 01:13 AM
Thanks to all of you, especially Jason, for the great info., of course much of it I don't understand but that's okay I don't need to. I may take the advise and re-rip...........gosh I hate to. Do I understand that an I-Pod will infact work okay with Windows Media, if so isn't that funny. What is another great MP3 that is avalable today? Thanks again.:)

No, the iPod does not support WMA. However, iTunes will convert non-DRM WMA to AAC, which the iPod does support.

Good luck!

Jason Dunn
10-25-2007, 03:23 AM
Do I understand that an I-Pod will infact work okay with Windows Media, if so isn't that funny.

No, the iPod has the hardware to play WMA files, but Apple disabled it because they don't want to support Microsoft file formats. That's why I'm suggesting re-ripping to MP3, because that will work in ANY player.

Sven Johannsen
10-25-2007, 04:13 AM
And NO the ipod does not work with Windows Media Player. You need i-Tunes loaded to sync the iPod. That's why you need to load Zune desktop, or Zune sync or whatever it is called. The model of having proprietary sync software worked so well, MS was sure they had to copy it to compete.

shelby756
10-26-2007, 03:32 PM
All I can think of is that you re-rip your music without having that option turned on, ideally in MP3 format.

Thanks again Jason for the help and I hope to be around for a while. Okay I am biting that bullet you spoke of and re-ripping my music (ickkkkk). I have now unchecked the "copy protect music" and am ripping in the mp3 format. Hope this is correct. Funny how things are stated. I had previously saw where it said "copy protect music" and simply read it as "Yes, copy protected music". Tricky!!! I am sure I will be back with more questions as time goes on, glad to have found Thoughts Media Forums.

***long quote trimmed by mod JD***

Sven Johannsen
10-27-2007, 05:21 AM
Do a couple of albums (I think you call them CDs now) and try a sync to make sure it works. If everything is cool, do the rest. Hate for you to rip the whole mess over and have missed some setting that bites you.;)

shelby756
10-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the heads up, but I am ahead of you. I did a couple and it works just great............so simple when you know what to do!! One thing that is somewhat irritating with this Zune is when you load it, unless you fully understand what to do (and than even at that) EVERYTHING LOADS. It does not give the greatest instructions on how to not load everything and even than when a path is "ignored" it still picks it up. So now I have stuff on the software that I did not even know I had on my computer. So much to delete; might consider removing and reinstalling.

Okay, now since I am a real novice at much of this I could use a couple more tips. Wanting to down load movies; am told I can use Netflex movies with a conversion program? I also can not see on the Zune Marketplace where movies can be purchased (am I missing it). I have a few movies which I have not yet tried to put into Zune..............scary for a newbie. <O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
This is fun!!!! Thanks

Jason Dunn
10-29-2007, 03:01 PM
One thing that is somewhat irritating with this Zune is when you load it, unless you fully understand what to do (and than even at that) EVERYTHING LOADS. It does not give the greatest instructions on how to not load everything and even than when a path is "ignored" it still picks it up.

Yes, by default the Zune will load up all the music it can find. It sounds like you're saying it found music from all over your hard drive, which you don't want. Here's how to fix that:

Press F3 to get into MONITORED FOLDERS. Remove any of the folders you don't want the Zune software it to look in for music.

Then you can select all the music in your libraby and delete it - but ONLY delete it from the library, not from the computer (it doesn't delete by default, but there's an option in the section above to determine whether a delete is a real delete or just a remove).

After you've removed the music you can let it re-scan and it should pick up your music (just leave the software open for a while).

Wanting to down load movies; am told I can use Netflex movies with a conversion program? I also can not see on the Zune Marketplace where movies can be purchased (am I missing it).

There isn't yet a way to purchase movies via the Zune marketplace. It's coming eventually, but for now, no movies. Regarding your Netflix movies, I'm pretty sure that they too have DRM - no one sells movies without it as far as I know. I did some research but I can't find what kind of portable devices, if any, are supported. I highly doubt the Zune will be supported, but you'd have to ask Netflix. Unfortunately at this point in time, the only way to get movies onto your Zune is by ripping DVDs.

shelby756
10-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Yes, by default the Zune will load up all the music it can find. It sounds like you're saying it found music from all over your hard drive, which you don't want. I finally got how to do this; takes a few tries but eventually like with all things having to do with computers, IT SIMPLY TAKES PATIENCE.:o

There isn't yet a way to purchase movies via the Zune marketplace. It's coming eventually, but for now, no movies. Regarding your Netflix movies, I'm pretty sure that they too have DRM - no one sells movies without it as far as I know. I did some research but I can't find what kind of portable devices, if any, are supported. I highly doubt the Zune will be supported, but you'd have to ask Netflix. Unfortunately at this point in time, the only way to get movies onto your Zune is by ripping DVDs. Thanks for the confirmation regarding DVD's; greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Jason Dunn
11-01-2007, 01:02 AM
...apparently I need a "conversion" program? There is Windows Encoder, is that sufficient? I understand there are many many programs out there for $29 and $39, but I am scared they won't do what they say and are illegal.

If you live in the United States, technically you are breaking the law in decrypting the copyright protection on a DVD. That's the stupid DMCA law for you - there's certainly nothing immoral about ripping your own DVDs.

The first thing you need to get around that is AnyDVD, a program that seamlessly bypasses the copyright protection on commercial DVDs - you don't even have to run the program, it just sits there in the background and removes copyright protection. Use this link (http://www.slysoft.com/?aid=50312) and use the coupon code halloween at checkout to save 20% off the program.

Now that you have AnyDVD and can work with commercial DVDs just as easily as if they're home-grown, you need a program to convert the DVD to a format that works with the Zune. The challenge here is that there are a LOT of programs that support the iPOD, PSP, etc...but a lot less that support the Zune. This is probably the best program I've seen for direct Zune support:

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1171405228635

Hope this all helps!

shelby756
11-01-2007, 05:58 AM
Hope this all helps!

Thanks Jason, this does help, it educates me one bit more. BUT, like the old saying "the more you learn the less you know". Later!!!:)