View Full Version : PodCasting News Reconsiders the Zune

Jason Dunn
10-17-2007, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.podcastingnews.com/2007/10/03/reasons-reconsider-microsoft-zune/' target='_blank'>http://www.podcastingnews.com/2007/10/03/reasons-reconsider-microsoft-zune/</a><br /><br /></div><em>&quot;Microsoft has updated its line of Zune portable media players. While they are still no iPod-killers, they offer enough new features that it&rsquo;s time to reconsider the Zune platform. Here are five reasons to take a second look at the Zune: The Zune&rsquo;s WiFi features are starting to get useful. Zune devices can now automatically sync over your home wireless network. In a nutshell - Microsoft is delivering the wireless capabilities that portable media owners want, including the ability to sync up podcasts wirelessly. The Zune syncs wirelessly with your local computer, so that you can use it as part of a home music system, without hooking it to your computer, and still have current content to take with you. You can also share songs, pictures and podcasts wirelessly. The Zunes will be able to do some things that Apple&rsquo;s $400 iPhones and iPod touches can&rsquo;t do. The Zune has podcast support. One of the big downsides to the Zune platform has been its lack of podcast support. That&rsquo;s changing with the second generation of the Zune platform. While the Zune&rsquo;s directory of podcasts is limited to about 1,000 podcasts, about 1/100th of the number in Apple&rsquo;s iTunes podcast directory, it&rsquo;s an important start and opens up the Zune to a world of free content.&quot;</em><br /><br />In addition to some of the unfair hack-jobs we've seen on the upcoming next generation of Zune players, we've also seen some interesting reversals: sites that have previously not been interested in the Zune now giving it a second chance because of the features and functionality that v2 is going to offer. One such site is PodCasting news - now that the Zune will have PodCasting support, and a PodCasting directory, they look be be giving the player a fair shake.

Adam Krebs
10-17-2007, 11:07 PM
This is really what we've been hoping for a while now. The podcasters love anything that can get their content out to a wider audience. the fact that you can wifi send podcasts is probably very appealing to them too, and it's exactly what the Zune needs. The two areas where consumer electronics live and die is in the eyes of tech bloggers (many of which also podcast) and the mass market. I'm going to wager the mass market doesn't really care about podcasting--despite loud claims to the contrary--and only a small subset of Zune users will likely find it useful. At the same time, the Podcasts have been given a prominent placement on the Zune's home screen, "proving" the Zune team's commitment to podcasting, and making them heroes in the eyes of the content creators.

The real battle is for the people in the middle--those who know enough and care enough about tech, but also are influential in pushing the new gadgets onto their friends. It's a seriously difficult situation to begin in, but now that the iPod is a household name, Apple's pretty much all set. Microsoft has to prove that they're up to obeying the needy cries of the tech press while also putting out a device that will actually sell.

Jason Dunn
10-18-2007, 02:27 AM
I'm going to wager the mass market doesn't really care about podcasting--despite loud claims to the contrary--and only a small subset of Zune users will likely find it useful.

Yup, absolutely - Podcasting is still a niche concept. Most people are interested in listening to music and not random tech people blathering on (I include myself here). BUT...for those that are really into podcasting, it's indeed an important feature and the Zune needed to support it.

It also occurred me that with the "3 days" restriction gone, you could beam someone a podcast and they'd have it as long as they needed it because once they listen to it once they likely won't want to listen to it again.

So from what angle, the Zune is the best way to share Podcasting content with others...:)

Adam Krebs
10-18-2007, 05:29 AM
I'm much more interested to use podcasting as a means of music discovery (e.g. the Zune'll automatically sync the latest and greatest mixtapes or Spinderella's Backspin) than to hear about tech or world news. Then again, I'm a teenager, and so this other stuff doesn't interest me as much. I really hope they implement some good discovery tools for podcasts as well.

David Tucker
10-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Podcasting is commercial too...there are some radio shows that play during the day that I get at night when I get home and listen to it. Some of these shows have very broad audiences.

Rocco Augusto
10-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Spinderella's Backspin

now im convinced! adam is spying on me!

that's the only way he could know of my love for spinderella! ;)

Adam Krebs
10-19-2007, 12:11 AM
now im convinced! adam is spying on me!

that's the only way he could know of my love for spinderella! ;)

It's one of the few shows I'll listen to on my local ClearChannel-owned garbage spout they call a radio station. Her knowledge of hip hop culture and DJing ability is nothing short of superb. It's too bad she doesn't have a podcast though...

Do you get the Baka Boyz too?