View Full Version : Which Carrier? US please

possmann
10-16-2007, 04:54 PM
OK - looking to do some business travelling soon from the US over to Europe so I am thinking about switching from Verizon (EDVO) to <<enter carrier name here>> (GSM).
I live in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin Area and was wondering if anyone could offer some suggestions or opinions on their wireless carrier experience?
And seeing that I'm on this site, yes I will be using a Windows Mobile device and plan to access internet as well.

Thanks!

Sven Johannsen
10-16-2007, 09:10 PM
For GSM in the US you have basically two choices. T-Mobile and THE NEW ATT. Six of one half dozen of another in IMHO, and I have service with both. Customer service wise they are about equivalent, and on par with most other CS offerings in the tech sector, shoddy, spotty, but occasionally helpful, if you get the right CSR, in the right mood.

Coverage I think ATT still wins, though there are places T-Mobile does better. You'd have to decide based on where you are or where you go. I don't think the rate plans are that terribly different if you can figure out how to compare them.

They both believe PDAs use a different, more expensive form of data than smartphones do, so I get plans via the net, and put the SIM in whatever I want. T-Mobile has their WiFi T-Mobile HotSpots, which you can add to a GSM data plan for only $10 more ($30 for unlimited GSM data + unlimited HotSpot). The hotspot is a username and login, so it works with any laptop you may have, or the WiFi on your Windows Mobile device. It's a consideration if it would benefit you.