View Full Version : Anti-theft Phone Tracking Software

Pete Paxton
10-03-2007, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.wimp-software.co.uk/' target='_blank'>http://www.wimp-software.co.uk/</a><br /><br /></div><em>&quot;In the event of your phone being lost or stolen, you can simply send a specially formated SMS text message to the phone and the W.I.M.P software will silently intercept it. W.I.M.P. will then send back a message containing the phone's GPS location in a format which can be entered into any common mapping application. OK - so someone steals your phone. What is the first thing they're going to do? Change the SIM card right? The W.I.M.P. application will automatically detect a change in the SIM card and send you a text message containing the new number. You can then use that number to track the device's location or even ring the phone&quot;<br /></em><br />The irony of the name W.I.M.P an anti-theft software that helps you track your phone stands for &quot;Where is my phone?&quot; Now I've never tried this but if you do I'd love to find out if it really works. Can you imagine busting the guy that took your phone? It will supposedly send you a text message if your sim card is replaced. It then gives&nbsp; you the new number so you can give it a call and say &quot;Hey Dude, where's my phone?&quot; Have you ever had your phone stolen? Would you use something like this? Let us know.<em></em>

John Cody
10-03-2007, 04:48 PM
"Hey Dude, where's my phone?"

Actually, with the GPS function, it would be more like "Hey Dude, look behind you and give me back my phone!". :D

Mike Temporale
10-03-2007, 06:14 PM
I haven't had any of my devices stolen - at least not yet. It might be helpful, but it just doesn't seem like something I would use. I change phones on a pretty regular basis - for testing and what not, so I'm sure I would have numerous false positives with it.

I like the idea though.

John Cody
10-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Loosing the phone "hardware" is not a huge deal - I could always get another one.

But, having my personal info "out there" is a big deal, so the ability to wipe the internal *and* storage card memory remotely is a must for my peace of mind.

Mike Temporale
10-04-2007, 02:17 AM
yeah, just knowing that someone out there could call my firends at any moment... chilling. ;) :D