View Full Version : A Zune With School Spirit?

David Tucker
09-23-2007, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://blogs.technet.com/migreene/archive/2007/09/19/1979608.aspx' target='_blank'>http://blogs.technet.com/migreene/archive/2007/09/19/1979608.aspx</a><br /><br /></div>I love all things technology. There is something I love more than technology though and that&rsquo;s the University of Florida. The athletics of course are the most visible thing others see but I am a Gator through and through. I thought of getting the Colorware treatment on my Zune so that I could have mine in Orange &amp; Blue. After Jason&rsquo;s very mediocre experience, however, that idea went out the window.<br /><br />There may be a better option for me one day. The Zune team seems interested in providing branded Zunes to schools who are interested. <a href="http://blogs.technet.com/migreene/archive/2007/09/19/1979608.aspx">According to Michael Greene</a>, Zune is going to be working with large institutions to brand devices for their own uses. They do present some interesting possibilities of things to do with it. Such as trading flash cards between incoming freshmen. Do they SERIOUSLY think that&rsquo;s a good idea?<br /><br />Other, better, ideas include preloading school songs and videos from professors. Those ideas are certainly more appealing. If Florida offered a branded Zune through the bookstore I&rsquo;d buy one pretty quick and would love if it included songs or better yet, videos. As far as how interesting this is to the general populace? Well, it would be nice if anyone could special order a Zune with a logo on it.

Chris Gohlke
09-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Good to know there is another Gator fan on staff at Thoughts Media. I live just up the road in Tally, but I'm a Gator alumni and was just down there last week recruiting.

tbird
09-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Actually, this is not a bad idea.
But I would not buy a "Florida" Zune!!!!:D;)

Dyvim
09-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Gators? No way. Go 'Canes!:D

David Tucker
09-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Good to know there is another Gator fan on staff at Thoughts Media. I live just up the road in Tally, but I'm a Gator alumni and was just down there last week recruiting.

2002 grad here. When did you graduate? Must be rough living in Tally! ;) You ever get to any of the games?

Macguy59
09-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Your ex coach has recruited well for my alma mater (Illinois) and has the program going in the right direction. It was also nice of him to leave so much talent for Meyer ;)

Chris Gohlke
09-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Class of 1995. Not really a sports fan, so have not gone to a game since college. Gator football is about the only sport I can stand to watch on TV.

Since there are a good # of Gators in Tally, it is actually much easier to live here than it would be to be a Nole in Gainesville.

David Tucker
09-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Your ex coach has recruited well for my alma mater (Illinois) and has the program going in the right direction. It was also nice of him to leave so much talent for Meyer ;)

He didn't leave Meyer as much talent as he'd like to believe and your program will be going in the right direction for ever. It just won't actually go anywhere in that direction ;) One of the worst coaches in I-A

Macguy59
09-24-2007, 01:13 AM
He didn't leave Meyer as much talent as he'd like to believe and your program will be going in the right direction for ever. It just won't actually go anywhere in that direction ;) One of the worst coaches in I-A

Really ? Remind me how many of the starters on the NC team last season were Zook recruits ? All but 2 or 3 ? We will be bowl eligible this season. Considering the season before he took over was an "0 for" that sure seems to me to be a directional turn for the better. FireUrban.com already has an owner doesn't it? You must think Zunes are great to :p

David Tucker
09-24-2007, 01:35 AM
Zunes are great...the yreally don't do anything less than an iPod ;) Just with they did more.

I'll leave my Zook rants on Rivals.com.:p

Macguy59
09-24-2007, 01:42 AM
Zunes are great...the yreally don't do anything less than an iPod ;) Just with they did more.

I'll leave my Zook rants on Rivals.com.:p

Uh huh thats what I thought :D I lurk on orangeandbluenews.com which is the Illinois Rivals site. Sorry for the brief interruption in programming :P

David Tucker
09-24-2007, 04:02 AM
Heheh, I'm a paying member of Gator Bait ;)

What was this story about again?

Damion Chaplin
09-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Step right up for your Josten's class Zune!

Now you can show it off to people well into your 50's... 'Cause we all care that you went to Sonoma State. :rolleyes:

David Tucker
09-24-2007, 09:56 PM
You'd understand if you were a Gator.

Macguy59
09-24-2007, 10:01 PM
You'd understand if you were a Gator.

OR an Illini ;)

jeff119
09-25-2007, 01:55 AM
screw the gators and the canes, go hokies:D

David Tucker
09-25-2007, 03:07 AM
Man, I'm surrounded by leagues where they play AA ball. Aren't there any more SEC schools out there?? :p

Macguy59
09-25-2007, 11:50 AM
SEC stands for SECond to the Big 10 :p

David Tucker
09-25-2007, 01:06 PM
I think Ohio State knows a lot more about being second... ;)

enjoythemusic
09-25-2007, 03:42 PM
I think Ohio State knows a lot more about being second... ;)

Go Gators! Now pass the Gatorade :)

PS: the senior editor of my magazine, www.EnjoyTheMusic.com (http://www.EnjoyTheMusic.com), is also a Gator (alumni).

ucfgrad93
09-26-2007, 01:00 AM
Yeah, great move by Microsoft. Forget developing a new player, lets just slap a college logo on it and people will buy them by the case.:rolleyes:

It reminds me of this

http://www.news.com/2100-1040-243941.html

Ridiculous then and even more so now.

Macguy59
09-30-2007, 04:47 AM
How bout those Gators ? ! Losing to unranked Auburn while we just beat #19 Penn St. to go to 4-1 ;)

Jason Dunn
09-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Haha. You Americans and your college spirit! :p

I was amazed that this thread had so many posts, then I see it's all a bunch of people chest-thumping for their team. That's just something that doesn't happen up here in Canada with our schools, and frankly I find it amazing and sometimes scary. :D

Macguy59
09-30-2007, 11:36 PM
Haha. You Americans and your college spirit! :p

College athletics in the States is a religion unto itself. Maybe if Canadians weren't so infatuated with knocking a piece of charcoal around on ice they might figure it out :p

Jason Dunn
10-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Maybe if Canadians weren't so infatuated with knocking a piece of charcoal around on ice they might figure it out :p

What I don't really grasp is that you already have the NHL, NBA, NFL, etc. - there's no shortage of professional sports leagues. So why are amateur college sports such a big deal? Is it that you feel more of a sense of belonging or ownership with the college team because you went to that college? And it makes you feel more invested in the success of that team because you went to school there years ago?

Honestly, the psychology here is fascinating. :) Canadians tend to be more lax about sports, and even patriotism...I love seeing all the US flags in the US. I find patriotism inspiring, and in Canada it's sadly lacking much of the time.

Macguy59
10-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Is it that you feel more of a sense of belonging or ownership with the college team because you went to that college?

Bingo, for me at least. I was also on a baseball scholarship there so I was part of the inner culture so to speak. I know the sacrifices a lot of the kids (and their families) make to go to college. We gave on average 35 hours a week to our scholarship sport (not including travel time for away games) in-season and 20 hours a week in conditioning during the off-season all the while being a full time student with a 13-15 hour class load. Professional sports are all about "getting paid" IMO.

David Tucker
10-01-2007, 02:53 AM
Yeah, we don't just chest thump our sports. Such as in the case of Florida, we love to wave it all in the face of our rivals. Better classes. Cuter girls. Etc. ;) There is a sense of belonging. I can walk around in my Gator apparel anywhere and have random people say "Go Gators" to me. (I love it!)

The team represents the university that I give money to and helped me get to where I am today. How could I not love them?

Macguy59
10-01-2007, 02:59 AM
Yeah, we don't just chest thump our sports. Such as in the case of Florida, we love to wave it all in the face of our rivals. Better classes. Cuter girls. Etc. ;) There is a sense of belonging. I can walk around in my Gator apparel anywhere and have random people say "Go Gators" to me. (I love it!)

The team represents the university that I give money to and helped me get to where I am today. How could I not love them?

Have you been in mourning all this time? :p

David Tucker
10-01-2007, 03:00 AM
:(

No, I was just in Orlando for the weekend and just got back.

Macguy59
10-01-2007, 03:06 AM
:(

No, I was just in Orlando for the weekend and just got back.

Ah so it's been delayed ;)

David Tucker
10-01-2007, 03:24 AM
More like trying to put it out of mind ;)

Macguy59
10-01-2007, 03:28 AM
More like trying to put it out of mind ;)

I will cover the mirrors in the house out of respect for you and the Gators.