View Full Version : An open letter to the Zune Team

bix
09-20-2007, 03:08 PM
I can't quite express how disappointed I am with my Zune. I want so badly to like it, but it never lived up to the promise. I mean seriously... a WiFi enabled MP3 Player made by the company that makes the Xbox360 and Media Center? The tie-ins (which were all implied by the dev team from the get go) were obvious. I should be buying TV shows and music on my 360 and having it sync up to my Zune by now. I should be able to stream content from my Media Center to my Zune wirelessly over the internet. I should be able to see gamerstats and messages from the 360 on my Zune. Heck, I should be able to wirelessly sync from my Zune to my PC. Wait... forget that... just give me podcast support! Or if even *that* is too complicated, how about some basic SmartPlaylists that actually update on the device, instead of just on the PC. It could have been so much fun... I want so badly to like it. But here I sit, getting far more value from my 30gig iPod photo instead. Forget colors and special branding. Just give me some features. I mean seriously... the only "feature" that has been added since I bought it (which was launch week) was "improved shuffle." Wow. Thanks guys. What happened to Zune being easy to update. What happened to updates often? What happened to all those sexy features you guys hinted at at launch? As far as I can tell, it was all just to sucker me in so you can get enough money to develop the second gen device. I know, I know... I shouldn't have bought a device on future features... but you guys made it sound so awesome. Instead, the hottest Zune rumors on the net are A) a blue zune (which was just bad color in an ad) and B) new hardware which runs the exact same feature barren software, but includes more space. Wow. More space. And even if you did update the OS, at this point I'm almost certain that you'll accompany the update with some little footnote that says that unfortunately due to the totally awesomeness of this ubercool update, 1st gen hardware really just won't work. And I'll be in the exact same spot I was with my Casiopea HandheldPC... and my Phillips Nano... and my MSNDirect Spot Watch... and the handful of MS created products that simply just don't live up to the hype. Sorry guys, but my Zune is taking the place in my abandoned gadgets drawer that I hoped would be held by my iPod for years to come. It's been fun... wait... no... it's been frustrating.