View Full Version : HTC Licenses Smith Micro's Device Management Solution

Pete Paxton
09-18-2007, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theunwired.net/?item=ota-htc-licenses-smith-micro-s-device-management-solution' target='_blank'>http://www.theunwired.net/?item=ota-htc-licenses-smith-micro-s-device-management-solution</a><br /><br /></div><em>&quot;Smith Micro Software, Inc. announced today a global licensing agreement with HTC to preload and distribute the Insignia Mobile Device Management client on the next generation of HTC smartphones for consumers and business users worldwide. While Windows Mobile 6 has a native solution for providing ROM updates over the air, for some reason HTC prefers to use Smith Micro's Insignia Open Management Client&nbsp; solution instead, which also provides firmware updates on mobile phones already in the hands of users. The Insignia Mobile Device Management client supports file updates, compressed image updates and multiple sequential updates all in one package and is backed by a broad range of integrity checks to ensure the process is secure and 100 % fault tolerant, even during power outages.&quot;<br /><br /></em>Interesting article. HTC wants to be in control of updating your device via ROM updates over the air. So I wonder how this is going to work? Hopefully HTC and Microsoft will know what the other is doing. There are so many cooks in the kitchen these days. My Dash is made by HTC but I have to go to Tmobile for the latest ROM that I thought I would be updating over the air through Microsoft. Who do you think should be in control of updating the ROM on your device? Should it be the manufacturer like HTC, the OS maker like Microsoft, or the network provider like Tmobile? <br /><em></em>

possmann
09-18-2007, 05:34 PM
OK – this goes back to the multiple threads (and rants) I’ve had regarding being able to really own your own device and rely on the Operating System as we currently rely on the operating system in the desktop, server, laptop etc… world. If GSM or CDMA is really a standard then there should be little that needs to be tweaked by carrier vendors and in that case the Creator of the Operating System should be the one owning the updates – just as MS does now when looking at desktops, servers (etc…).

The problem I have is that the carriers want to produce that “value add” specific to their company that often rides on top of the operating system so they can effectively control (read in LIMIT) the potential of the device and operating system in an effort to capture more revenue.
Having said that, the carrier is really the one who turns out “owning” the operating system and therefore should be the controlling factor in rolling out updates. I don’t like that model at all – it drags out the time for releasing an update and doesn’t create a significant need for carriers to run the update through their quality assurance (testing) process – where is the value for the carrier in committing the hours/effort to pushing the update out the door to the end users?

I say if the carrier kept their hands out of the operating system they could save a ton of money in resource costs for customizing the operating system as well as costs to evaluate, test and rollout updates. Ideally wouldn’t it be great if we could use the Windows Mobile Devices like we use our desktops now – without having to go through a vendor “interface”?

Mike Temporale
09-18-2007, 05:44 PM
I have a feeling that this software will only appear on HTC branded devices and not carrier ones. I don't expect that HTC will push a ROM upgrade over the air either. It's too large and unless there's a storage card inserted, there's no place to store it during the wipe.

Chances are this will be used for small updates to applications and customizations. I wouldn't expect too much.

mpaquette
09-18-2007, 10:21 PM
As a Blackjack owner I agree with Possmann. Why can't it be like the desktop environment? If a new OS is released and your device meets the requirements, why do I have to wait for ATT to release the update to me? I really don't need or want any of the extra junk that ATT adds to the menu anyway.

eVader
09-21-2007, 12:46 AM
While i agree with who owns the phone and OS there are several factors to consider.

"you" bought a $500-700 phone for $79-400 via the cellular subsidy for signing up for a 1-2 yr contract.
carrier needs (or wants) to supply its customer with products that will work on its service. Why do you think Palm, HTC, Samsung have released updates -- its because carriers and users have found bugs or requested new feature sets.
WM6 has an update feature which is great however I believe it only updates critical WM patches such as DST2007 patch and DOES NOT have updates specific to a device. This is different than the WQHLed driver and software updates you can pull from Microsoft Update on your PC.
ROM updates can be pushed OTA. its a new technology but they can do it in small batches like firmware updates or software patches. a full blown ROM like WM5 to WM6 would still likely require a local install though I hear this will someday be pushed.
the dynamic architecture of a handset is very different than PCs today. while the OS is a base, every manufacturer adds special features and functions. An example is Palm's h\w switch to mute\vibrate ringer\sound or the s\w Today screen overlay that no other device has. A bad example is the value add junk for at&t Music\Videos or other overpriced\overhyped marketing effort to increase profits.
finally i agree that devices should be unlocked and I wish not confined to Windows Mobile. Just like you can fdisk a PC's HDD removing WinXP to install Umbuntu I wish you could do the same for smartphones.... someday we will.