View Full Version : Stupid Question: Additional PCs

eufreka
08-30-2007, 01:15 AM
Okay, stupid question time...

So I have a zune pass, and love it. As everyone may already know, it allows you to add up to 3 PCs and 2 Zune devices under one account. Sounds great!

But *HOW* does it work? Sure, I understand that I have to install the software, but what happens then...

I want to add a second laptop so that I can browse the store and listen to new tracks (trolling for new content) without being tied to the "Master Sync & Library Machine."

So what happens when I install the software on a second laptop, and sign in? Is it going to complain about my library? Is it going to ask for my device (which I don't really want to hook up to it), etc...

I search zune.net support, and these forums, but hey, nothing...

I have thousands of tracks in my library, both zune pass and owned/ripped cds...I REALLY REALLY *don't* want to screw things up...

David Tucker
08-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Good that you asked. Here's the deal...if you connect to another computer and your content isn't on that machine...it'll wipe your Zune clean. You can put Zune on all the computers but only have one computer as your 'home' PC. Have the others as guest machines. Then you won't lose your music.

However anything you add on those machines will be lsot when you go back to your home computer.

HMMM...anyone else seeing where this setup isn't so hot? I actually have been bitten by this myself.

eufreka
08-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Good that you asked. Here's the deal...if you connect to another computer and your content isn't on that machine...it'll wipe your Zune clean. You can put Zune on all the computers but only have one computer as your 'home' PC. Have the others as guest machines. Then you won't lose your music.

However anything you add on those machines will be lsot when you go back to your home computer.

HMMM...anyone else seeing where this setup isn't so hot? I actually have been bitten by this myself.

Thanks...

It is kinda sad, really. All they need to do is track my library online (oh, wait, they do)...and then let me *STREAM* from those flagged items OR any ZUNE PASS accessible content to the other 2 eligible PCs. They kinda protect themselves already by limiting your PCs changes to 1 every 30 days, so I don't think it would create a DRM-related issue.

Since you can only browse the marketplace online via the THICK(!) client app, they should at least allow you to install *stream only* versions of the client to the other eligible PCs...then I could research music when mobile on my laptop, but flag downloads to occur later when I am at my *library/sync* machine at home.

Again, this simple structure coupled with a clear marketing message would change market perceptions. In fact, they could even *SELL* additional "stream only* client licenses, say for $3 to $5 more.