View Full Version : Deleting protected files

humayunl
08-01-2007, 11:07 PM
I have a TMobile Dash which is unlocked and running on AT&T.

I have noticed that the /windows/startup folder containts three .lnk files
- WiFiinit.lnk
- TMobilehelp.ink
- My5Favs.lnk

I assume the WiFi Init is required so its fine. But since i'm not a TMobile customer i'm pretty sure running those TMobile specific things on startup is unnecesary (I dont use the My Favs thing anyway). But if I try to delete those files from the directory, i get an error saying i dont have permission.

Any ideas as to how I can delete them?

Is there any other bloatware I can remove from this phone that i dont need and hogs memory?

Thanks.

humayunl
08-02-2007, 07:40 AM
nobody willing to help a newbie? :(

scottb
08-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Try connecting your device to your PC via ActiveSync and removing the Read-only attribute from the files you want to delete using Windows Explorer.

humayunl
08-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Even when i connect via Activesyn and try it, it doesnt' let me.

In the properties, the checkboxes for "read-only" of "hidden" properties are both unchecked. In the details tab, the values against "System" is YES but its a read-only field.

If i try to delete, i get a message saying :

"Could not delete the file. The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected."

It is probably something that gets loaded in memory at startup and is running thats why i can't delete it... is that possible? There must be a way of finding/killing the process and deleting it.

Sven Johannsen
08-04-2007, 03:32 AM
There's a good chance that those files are in ROM and can't be deleted. Not sure of that, but it is possible.

onlydarksets
08-04-2007, 02:00 PM
What are you using to attempt to delete them? Windows Explorer via ActiveSync, or the built-in file explorer on the Dash?

humayunl
08-05-2007, 02:01 AM
What are you using to attempt to delete them? Windows Explorer via ActiveSync, or the built-in file explorer on the Dash?

I've tried both. On the device I tried with the built-in file explorer and also via resco file explorer. Then I connected through activesync and from Windows explorer, checked properties to make sure they were not hidden or read only (they are marked as system files though) and tried to delete but failed as mentioned above.

Mike Temporale
08-14-2007, 02:40 PM
You'll have to application unlock your DASH first. Then you should be able to delete them. :)