View Full Version : Microsoft Releases Live Search for Windows Mobile 2.0

Jason Dunn
07-14-2007, 12:15 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.betanews.com/article/Windows_Live_Mobile_Search_20_Out/1184339738' target='_blank'>http://www.betanews.com/article/Windows_Live_Mobile_Search_20_Out/1184339738</a><br /><br /></div><i>"In the Windows Live Search 2.0 desktop version, new features include movie showtimes and the addition of more local data and user reviews. The Virtual Earth maps functionality has been improved and users would have the option of increasing the cache by using a storage card. The directions functionality has been bolstered as well, with better support for in-phone GPS and improved turn-by-turn navigation. The application would even prompt to reroute if it detects you have veered away from the given directions."</i><br /><br />Windows Live Search for Windows Mobile (I think that's the proper name, it's all rather confusing) has reached the 2.0 level, and it looks like mostly polishing - the movies feature is cool if you live in a supported area, but unfortunately I do not so the product continues to be of limited use. And, sadly, since I lost my flat rate GPRS data plan (I haven't shared my secret horror with everyone yet, have I?) programs like this are dramatically less useful. That said, if you have flat-rate data and a fast connection, this program truly rocks. Version 1.x had the storage card cache feature, but now you can use up to 128 MB of storage. You can navigate to <a href="http://wls.live.com">WLS.LIVE.COM</a> to download the CAB file directly to your device. And hey, it's free!

John Cody
07-14-2007, 01:03 AM
Yeah, I have been playing around with the new version - the new panning method of the map is pretty neat.

The only thing I wish they would add is the ability to edit the "Current Location" drop down list on the main page, so I could manage it to just contain my favorites in it.

And kudos to MS for having an "Exit" in the menu :wink:

onlydarksets
07-14-2007, 01:24 AM
Thanks! Downloading now...

Kris Kumar
07-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Love the movies, wish they had released it a couple of days ago. We were doing searches for theatres screening Harry Potter.

I like how they have the tabs for listing by Theatres and Movies. Wish they can add another on for By time, showing the movies in the next 2 hours or so. ;-)

The map rendering seemed a bit faster than the previous version. It could also be because of the EDGE speed boost by AT&amp;T.

Kris Kumar
07-14-2007, 02:49 PM
The only thing I wish they would add is the ability to edit the "Current Location" drop down list on the main page, so I could manage it to just contain my favorites in it.

That would be a good idea. Have you seen this FAQ? (http://mobile.search.live.com/client/faq.aspx)

Q: How do I clear the saved locations and other data in the application?
A: Delete the "preferences.xml" file in your Live Search directory.

So looks like there is a hack to clear the list, start again and/or edit it manually.

John Cody
07-14-2007, 02:51 PM
So looks like there is a hack to clear the list, start again and/or edit it manually.

Cool Kris, thanks for the tip!

onlydarksets
07-14-2007, 03:14 PM

Cool Kris, thanks for the tip!

Hmm...now, if we only knew of a clever developer who is experienced in writing WM apps who could whip up a small program to maintain the preferences file. If only... ;)

bendy
07-15-2007, 02:24 PM
So i feel dumb for asking but how do i get the movie times?

I dont see any option?

I am in the uk, is that the reason

Ta

Mike Temporale
07-16-2007, 12:34 PM

I'm guessing it only works for the US. :(

ctmagnus
07-16-2007, 08:47 PM

I'm guessing it only works for the US. :(

Nope. I pulled down some for Calgary. Unfortunately, I'm not in Calgary atm and my local theatre apparently isn't in their database.