View Full Version : "best" current WM6.0 device for R&D purposes

andrewbadera
06-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi all-

I'm looking to pick up a WM6.0 device right now, something GSM-based, already unlocked, or unlockable by me. I need something I can justify as a business research & development device -- I have a Cingular 2125 (HTC Faraday) and an 8125 (Wizard) and a Treo 700w, all running 5.0 and .NETCF 2.0 ... I'd like to get a 6.0 device - OEM - on which to do managed code development, something that expands the number of target platforms for which I have real hardware, not just emulators. Something with GPS would be ideal, but remaining in a portable (ideally pocketable) configuration is critical.

The Touch might be a nice toy, but I think I need something with a real keyboard. I may in fact pick up two devices -- one Standard one Pro -- so I'm open to a lot of suggestions, if anyone would care to make any.

Thanks!
--Andy Badera

Mike Temporale
06-28-2007, 04:09 PM
I would go for the HTC Vox - It doesn't have GPS, but it's a third party device and as such, is unlocked. So there's no hassle on that end.

As for a Pro device, I'm not really sure what to suggest. The touch would be nice, but I wonder if the hermes would be a better device to get?

andrewbadera
06-28-2007, 04:19 PM
You know, I've been thinking about the Vox. I've seen a few on eBay running $300-$400 used, $400-$500 new, all unlocked. Does that sound about right?

As far as the Hermes ... that's just a beefier Wizard, right? That doesn't do much to extend my inventory of development testbeds ...