View Full Version : HELP with Windows Mobile Device Center (Vista) and Exchange

rhythmick
05-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Hi all. I have a Windows Small Business Server 2003 set up running quite happily here with XP Pro and Vista Business PCs.

I just bought a HTC S710 vox and plan to set up direct push email. However I'm having trouble getting the Vista WMDC to sync up through Exchange. It prompted me for server name, user id and password etc, verified the credentials and then tried to sync. I get a sync error "The security certificate on the server is not valid. Contact your Exchange Server administrator or ISP to install a valid certificate on the server."

The Exchange Server uses a self-signed certificate, which is the norm for small businesses. No problems with this cert from other PCs, remote web workplace works just fine.

Any ideas ? Also where do I get to the server config information so I can check it ?

applejosh
05-30-2007, 02:42 PM
I think I got around this by exporting the root certificate off the server and importing it on the device. It had something to do with trusting the signing source, IIRC. I think I just went to the server, exported the root cert, and then copied it over to my device and installed it by tapping on it. (But this was for a PocketPC device and not a SmartphoneOS.)

Possibly more info:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915840

rhythmick
05-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks - that ties in with some info from elsewhere (related to Windows Mobile 5, but I guess the principle follows for 6).

I'll take notes and post back.

I think I got around this by exporting the root certificate off the server and importing it on the device. It had something to do with trusting the signing source, IIRC. I think I just went to the server, exported the root cert, and then copied it over to my device and installed it by tapping on it. (But this was for a PocketPC device and not a SmartphoneOS.)

Possibly more info:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915840

Sven Johannsen
05-31-2007, 05:31 AM
This may be totally wrong, but I would think you could just add the Exchange parameters directly on the phone, though you still need the certificate. I am pretty sure that all WMDC is doing is helping you set up the phone with the Exchange server it knows about. Once set up WMDC has nothing to do with the phone and Exchange syncing.

rhythmick
05-31-2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks sven and based on progress yesterday I believe you're right. You don't even need to use WMDC if you'd rather not (though actually it's quite useful).

The problem was all about the certificate. There's an extremely useful step-by-step document in the MS knowledgebase which talks through the process. I'm now syncing via USB without a problem.

Next step is to get it to sync wirelessly using Direct Push, but for that I need to get my phone account set up with data access.

This may be totally wrong, but I would think you could just add the Exchange parameters directly on the phone, though you still need the certificate. I am pretty sure that all WMDC is doing is helping you set up the phone with the Exchange server it knows about. Once set up WMDC has nothing to do with the phone and Exchange syncing.

Sven Johannsen
06-01-2007, 03:13 AM
WMDC does add syncing capabilities that you do not get with Server sync, like Notes (still isn't supported is it?) or OneNote, or any of the other third party sync conduits. For the things that are server sync though, even hooking it up to the PC that has WMDC, all the USB connection does is provide a path to the server over the network. You never sync the PIM stuff with Outlook through WMDC if you have Server sync set up.