View Full Version : Sprite on WM6

Kris Kumar
05-24-2007, 03:14 AM
I haven't heard any horror stories yet about Sprite Backup not working on Windows Mobile 6. I was able to install it successfully and also create a backup file. I have NOT tried restoring it. So don't know if it works all the way. :?

Wondering if someone has tried the restore on WM6?

I am preparing for my vacation trip and don't want to end up with a phone I cannot recover.

Mike Temporale
05-24-2007, 03:19 AM
I wouldn't count on it working. It would be nice if it did, but.... It is a new OS and things change.

Kris Kumar
05-24-2007, 03:22 AM
I wouldn't count on it working. It would be nice if it did, but.... It is a new OS and things change.

I wish I had tried the restore. Now I don't have time to test it and recover my phone in case of a hiccup.

Mike Temporale
05-24-2007, 04:07 AM
Is there ever a good time to wipe your phone and test a restore? If it doesn't work you're out a lot of time and effort. :?

I would load the installer for all your needed applications on a storage card and take them along for the trip. If need be, you can do a rebuild. It's better than nothing.

Kris Kumar
05-24-2007, 04:28 AM
I just thought of my survival strategy. The most important thing for me is the Contacts while I am on the road. Even if I reset my device, all I need is Internet access (thru ActiveSync or GPRS) and I can then do an Exchange Server sync. Thank God for the Exchange Server, the ultimate in backup! ;-)

Mike Temporale
05-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Nice! I really should setup Exchange some day. I just need some free time - anyone selling any free time?

onlydarksets
05-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Nice! I really should setup Exchange some day. I just need some free time - anyone selling any free time?

$250/hour.

onlydarksets
05-24-2007, 02:42 PM
BTW, Sprite does say that it supports WM6 with its existing product. It does not support an upgrade path to restoring your data from WM5->WM6, though.
https://spritesoftware.crmdesk.com/answer.aspx?id=373&back=search.aspx%3F

Kris Kumar
05-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks onlydarksets. One less thing to worry about during the trip.

Mike Temporale
05-24-2007, 06:39 PM
$250/hour.

Wow, with prices like that, I think I'll take a minute please. ;)

zilla31
05-25-2007, 01:22 PM
i'm using sprite backup on my wm6 dash and i've restored successfully several (i'd say at least 5) times for one reason or another... seems to work flawlessly. as a matter of fact i'd even venture to say that it works (for me at least) BETTER than on wm5... I have yet to get any "backup completed successfully with messages" :)

PS - If you sprite users out there don't know about sprite explorer yet - check it out. it's a nifty little program that lets you explore (well duh) sprite backup files and easily pull out individual files. man is this cool. saved me from a restore countless times when i just wanted a few files and made my upgrade from wm5 to wm6 a snap... i backed up in wm5, upgraded to wm6, then selectively went through my wm5 backup over the coming weeks to pull out stuff i remembered i needed... very cool.

Kris Kumar
05-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks for confirming that it works.

PS - If you sprite users out there don't know about sprite explorer yet - check it out.

Yes, it is indeed an awesome tool. It has saved me a couple of times, mostly with home screen and profiles. I do wish there were a way to pull out SMS messages at the least.