View Full Version : Vox Vs. the Competition: Comparison Reviews

Pete Paxton
05-23-2007, 10:00 PM
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/paxton-20070523- voxcompare.jpg

So what do you think of the Vox (HTC S710)? Does it beat out other smartphone competition? Does it add anything new that helps it stand out as a must have smartphone? Well Matthew Miller has a blog for Zdnet's The Mobile Gadgeteer and he directly compares the Vox to the Tmobile Dash. On a slightly different note, Steve Litchfield of All About Symbian has an article comparing the Vox to the Nokia E70. So which do they prefer? You'll have to head on over and read them for yourself. When you're done, come back and let us know if you agree or disagree with the articles and whether or not you think they are biased. You can check out the Vox/Dash comparison here (http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?p=369) and the Vox/Nokia E70 comparison here (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/Head_to_head_Nokia_E70_vs_HTC_S710.php).

karinatwork
05-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Sometimes reviews make me sad... :( It's the "rain on my parade" -kinda feeling.

I guess the reviewers don't think it's important to throw the size of the devices into the equation. The minimal size of the S710 was the main reason for me to get it. I guess everybody has different priorities. :)

K.

Pete Paxton
05-24-2007, 12:45 AM
I think the vox is a great device and I'd own it before I'd own any Nokia device. It doesn't give me anything new that my Dash doesn't already have but I can certainly see the Vox's appeal - and as you mentioned, especially the size. The vox is a great device. Don't let the reviews make you feel any different.

Rocco Augusto
05-24-2007, 02:05 AM
The Vox doesn't have EDGE so boo to the Vox! ;)

Pete Paxton
05-24-2007, 02:56 AM
It doesn't have EDGE? I thought I saw in different reviews and on the HTC site that it does have EDGE.

Mike Temporale
05-24-2007, 03:12 AM
yeah, the Vox has Edge, just not 3G - at least that's my understanding.

brmcguire
05-24-2007, 04:18 AM
The Vox has Edge and WiFi. No 3G. Atleast mine does ;-)

nosmohtac
05-24-2007, 04:40 AM
I absolutely love the look and styling of the Vox, but I'd be more inclined to agree with the reviewers. The size of the vox makes it so much more appealing than the other popular smartphone offerings, but the more I use my Q, the more I realize the benefits of one handed use.

heliod
05-24-2007, 05:44 AM
Unfortunately I have to agree with both reviews: the VOX seems to be a combination of the right form factor with the wrong SPECS.

I wouldn't expect HTC to release in these days a device which is completely GPRS, without EDGE or UMTS, and sporting a 200MHz processor. Though I can still accept the processor (since it is a Smartphone), the lack of 3G is unforgivable.

Helio

linusmd
05-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Unfortunately I have to agree with both reviews: the VOX seems to be a combination of the right form factor with the wrong SPECS.

I wouldn't expect HTC to release in these days a device which is completely GPRS, without EDGE or UMTS, and sporting a 200MHz processor. Though I can still accept the processor (since it is a Smartphone), the lack of 3G is unforgivable.

Helio

Agreed, HTC is growing more and more complacent, while the competition will eventually take them out. They are in love w/ the 200mhz omap, and 64 mb of ram, and 65,000 screens...they will love these specs next year, I wonder if they are just waiting to get bought by a larger company. They have used the same specs on their smartphones/pocketpc phones for the past 2-3 years and probably for the next 2-3 years until Samsung, LG, and Toshiba have overtaken them, and HTC is forced to make "Keepin' it Real Fake" phones, like all the other chinese/tawanese companies.

Philip Colmer
05-26-2007, 12:31 AM
The main thing that the Vox is missing for me is 3G.

I'm currently trying to put together a device pick list for my company. The biggest issue I'm facing at the moment is that the HTC devices (e.g. Dash, Wing) have great form factors and features ... except that they don't have 3G.

I work for a global company, and the lack of 3G means that these devices won't work in Japan. It looks as if I'll have to get airtime contracts without devices and then specially buy in devices with 3G for the staff that truly need worldwide coverage.

Is it really that hard to include 3G functionality? Roll on the iMate Ultimate range!

--Philip