View Full Version : HELP!!!! Internet Setting BlackJack + FIDO

jay_are7
05-21-2007, 05:19 AM
I just bought an unlocked Blackjack and have since been trying to connect to the internet.

I have followed several sets of intructions and nothing works.

Can anyone with experience with fido and blackjacks?

I dont care about connecting to media net or other cingular features. I just want to set up my outlook and browse the internet every so often.

thanks for any help

Mike Temporale
05-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Not a problem, I think I can help you. - I use Fido and a blackjack everyday. 8)

You can't use Media.Net or any of the cingular features because they're for cingular customers, so you can't connect into them. Not that it matters, just wanted to clear that up.

So, setting up your blackjack...

press Start / Settings / Connections / GPRS

Anything listed in here, highlight and press Menu / Delete.

Now you should have a blank settings page. So press Menu / New and set the following settings:

Connects To: The internet
Access Point: internet.Fido.ca
User Name: fido
Password: fido

The save and close that screen and you should be good to go. Let me know how it turns out.

jay_are7
05-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the reply. However, ive tried those settings, unfortunately, its not working.

I was told by a tutorial on Howard Forums to set up 2 acounts under gprs. One called fido internet, with the same settings you gave me, and one called fido wap with these settings.
connects to: The Internet
access point: wap.fido.ca
fido
fido

If i delete these settings, when i try to open IE it gives me an erroe msg right away. But when i keep them in and try to connect it trys to connect for a while then gives me an error msg.
And then theres the proxy settings.
Its all very confusing, the only thing that is certain is that nothing works.

Should i do a reset and start over? And if so, is there any other way then the reset option? because when i try that, it asks for a password.

thanks

Mike Temporale
05-22-2007, 02:45 AM
forget WAP. The settings I listed is all you need. Go into IE Mobile and press Menu / Options / Connections and make sure "Automatically detect settings" is checked on, and Select Network is set to The Internet.

That's all you need - it's all I have and it works like a charm.

jay_are7
05-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks Mike, But its still not working. Im starting to think resetting everything would be the best bet, but like i said i dont know the password.

Like you, im from toronto. I live right downtown. If you want to meet up, or ill even mail it to you. Ill Pay you to try to figure this out. Im at my ropes end

Mike Temporale
05-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Password? for the rest? It should be 1234 ;)

I don't think you need to do that, but if you have nothing on it, then it's not going to hurt.

Have you removed all the GPRS settings listed under connections ?

Mike Temporale
05-23-2007, 04:17 PM
where abouts downtown? (closest major intersection) I'm in the burbs, but I travel down and around on a regular basis.

jay_are7
05-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Im all over the place. I live downtown at Bay & College.

I work in North York at Yonge & Sheppard

And i spend my weekends in Markham.

I dont have much on the phone, just a bunch of phone numbers that i dont have anywhere else. Ill hold off on resetting though.

And yes, i have deleted everything under settings GPRS

Mike Temporale
05-24-2007, 02:35 AM
Do you have anything under Settings / Connection / Proxy or VPN?

Under Settings / Connections / GPRS / GPRS Authentication - mine is set to CHAP.

jay_are7
05-24-2007, 04:07 AM
ive tried wap settings in Proxy, and ive tried it with no settings

I have always had no settings in VPN

and Im also set to CHAP.

Mike Temporale
05-24-2007, 04:18 AM
I can't think of anything else. That should really be all you need to do. It's all I ever do and I've been doing it a lot. :mrgreen:

Is the phone unlocked? Can you make and receive calls?

jay_are7
05-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Yes, i can make and recieve calls, as well as text msg.

Mike Temporale
05-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Hrm....

One of the GRPS settings has to be wrong. I maybe I can take a look at it. I'm not sure when I'll be back in the downtown core. I'll be passing by in the middle of the day Friday and then late at night on Friday. Maybe at that point I can stop and take a quick look.

jay_are7
05-24-2007, 06:41 PM
that would be really cool of you dude

ill PM you my work number for tomorrow.

Just a thought, i havnt set up my account with data. I just assumed that since i was able to connect from my regular fido phone, i would at least be able to connect on my unlcoked blackjack on a pay-for-use situation.

Do you think this might have something to with it?

Mike Temporale
05-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Nah, you should be fine. I'll just try and put my card in your phone and see if it works. I figure that's a good place to start.

jay_are7
05-29-2007, 08:48 PM
mike, sorry i msg ur msg, i left work at business days end. Maybe some time this week we can meet up?