View Full Version : Orange Branded Samsung i600 Crashes When Changing Ringtones?

Mike Temporale
05-18-2007, 02:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/index.php/2007/05/17/orange_samsung_i600_problems' target='_blank'>http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/index.php/2007/05/17/orange_samsung_i600_problems</a><br /><br /></div><i>"A while ago we unboxed the Samsung SGH-i600 and published this video of the device. Since then the i600 has been released on the Orange network and a number of our regular visitors have been asking if there is any difference between the straight Samsung and the Orange branded version of the i600. Both devices have exactly the same hardware but there are some software differences as, once again, Orange removed MSN messenger from their version and branded the homescreen and icons. However there seems to be a more worrying problem with the Orange version. As you'll see in the video below, there are some stablility issues. One of the first things I tried on the i600 is to change the ringtone but simply doing this is enough to crash the device and all one can do is remove the battery as it wont even respond to the power button."</i> <br /><br />Matt has come across an interesting bug with the Orange branded Samsung i600 device. Fresh out of the box, the device will crash if you try and change the ringtone. 8O I haven't had any problems with the BlackJack, so this is either something specific to his device, or something that Orange has done by accident. Anyone here have the Orange device and can confirm this problem with their device?

Stinger
05-18-2007, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't be surprised. Orange have a long history of botched custom software across all platforms.

Foxbat121
05-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Actually, BlackJack has the same exact issue for a lot of people. The work around is to fire up Windows Media Player on the phone and let it finish build the library.

SnozBerries
05-19-2007, 02:17 AM
Wow, how did that one get past their test team? If I had to rank the tasks someone does when they get a new phone, changing the default ringtone would be at the top of the list!

Dade
05-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Actually, BlackJack has the same exact issue for a lot of people. The work around is to fire up Windows Media Player on the phone and let it finish build the library.

My vanilla i600 doesn't suffer from the problem whereas the Orange branded one does. Allowing media player to build the library doesn't help at all besides which it there are not very many media files on the device out of the box.

Foxbat121
05-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Obviously this is a random problem. Not all BlackJacks are affect either. Mine does not. And it has nothing to do with how many media files you have. If you search HoFo or Cingular Samsung forums you will see quite a few posts from BlackJack owners about this very same issue.

The problem could either be Samsung or Microsoft.

MitchellO
05-20-2007, 11:31 PM
I haven't had any troubles changing ringtones on my unbranded SGH-i600. I only have the problem where the devices freezes trying to change the alarm with the microSD card in requiring a battery pull. Must be something to do with how the device accesses the microSD card.

Have you tried removing the microSD card before changing the ringtone? If it worked for alarms it MIGHT for the ringtones.

Mitchell