View Full Version : Over the air sync....tips & suggesstions

Sooner Magic
05-07-2007, 05:37 PM
I am a long time PPC user and now am the proud owner of a Tmo Dash. My employer does not use Exchange (they use Scalix and some folks use a Blackberry) and I am able to use Tmo triggers to get "push" email. What I would like to do is sync my calendar, contacts, etc. I have read about Blackberry software on a Dash, but don't know if it needs to be on the Dash versus the Scalix server vs. some other set up. I would like to keep the Dash, but would consider trading in for a Blackberry if I have to. Any ideas?

Rocco Augusto
05-07-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm a huge fan of 4Smartphone.net (http://www.4smartphone.net). They have a hosted exchange account that is about $30-$40 a year. With this hosted exchange account, they are also regularly backing up your data which is a plus in my book!

Not to long ago I accidentally deleted all the contacts from my account (very long story ;)) and after a few emails back and forth with 4Smartphone's customer support, I had all my information back, including contact photos. :)

Sooner Magic
05-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Thanks Rocco!

Sounds like a great idea, but I don't see how it would work for my work based Outlook?

Rocco Augusto
05-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks Rocco!

Sounds like a great idea, but I don't see how it would work for my work based Outlook?

I know 4smartphone.net (http://www.4smartphone.net) use to have account option that would sync with Outlook. I personally do not that option since I try to keep all my work and personal contacts separate, minus my calendar. What I do is sync my computer with my workstation and manually uncheck the Exchange settings so they sync with my PC. When I'm done I set it back.

It is a tedious process but I only do it once every few weeks to make sure my calendar is up to date. Lately I haven't done it since I was able to get Google to sync my work calendar with my personal Google Calendar, now I just run software on my phone to keep all my calendar entries up to date for free :)