View Full Version : Why Can't Windows Mobile Phones Record Phone Calls?

Jason Dunn
05-07-2007, 05:00 PM
"I've long been looking for a solution to record my phone calls (for archiving for my electronic diary database - it's just fun to listen to, say, calls you've made twenty years ago. Yeah, I've archived my calls back even then - then, onto audio tapes, with my self-built automatic call recorder circuitry and automatic tape recorder controller). As you may already know, except for some (in Europe / the States, rare, Asia-only Gigabyte models) NONE of the current Windows Mobile Pocket PC's (and only some MS Smartphone models) support this. It's just not possible to record the other party, let alone directly saving the GSM-based encoded stream to greatly preserve sound quality while keeping the same low speed (without recompressing it), just like how the vast majority of non-Windows Mobile-based call recorders do on both Symbian and in many "dumb" phones like the Sony-Ericsson t68i and the t610.

Werner Ruotsalainen, better known in the Windows Mobile world as "Menneisyys", has posted an article talking asking the question why Windows Mobile is the only phone OS that doesn't allow for easy phone conversation recording. I've heard the issue raised at MVP Summit meetings and Mobius events, and the answer is always the same: legal reasons. Since recording a phone conversation isn't something I've needed to do every often, I honestly never gave it much thought.

Ruotsalainen's article has made me re-think this stance: if Symbian phones can do this task, and they're being sold in great numbers in the USA, then how much of a legal issue can this really be? And if 38 states allow it without consent, and only 12 do not, clearly the majority of the country supports this scenario. Windows Mobile phones are sold all over the world of course, so even if the issue is United States law, why wouldn't Microsoft include basic support that the USA carriers would just exclude? On-device voice mail is also a feature I've seen on other device that Windows Mobile lacks - and it never occurred to me until now that the reason we don't have it is because of this call recording issue.

Rocco Augusto
05-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Personally, I just do not like the idea of someone being able to record my conversations with them and vice versa. No good could ever come of it! ;)

galatians51
05-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Vito Audio Notes will let you record phone calls. I've done it but it sure takes a lot of memory after a while, recording all of your conversations! Plus, it makes you realize just how dull of a person you are to talk to when you sit through 20 minutes of "OK"s and "Uh-huh"s.

chaznet
05-07-2007, 08:17 PM
I agree 100% -- and if they are recorded, it shouldn't be 'stealth', a regular 'beep' should sound indicating the converstaion is being recorded.

Personally, I just do not like the idea of someone being able to record my conversations with them and vice versa. No good could ever come of it! ;)

Rocco Augusto
05-07-2007, 08:52 PM
I agree 100% -- and if they are recorded, it shouldn't be 'stealth', a regular 'beep' should sound indicating the converstaion is being recorded.

or a recorded voice that says "this conversation is now being recorded", something that would 100% obvious so no one could claim they had no idea they were being recorded :)

mbranscum
05-07-2007, 10:31 PM
This is an issue that many people have misconceptions about. Most will say that recording a phone conversation is illegal. As Jason mention, it is legal in most states as long as ONE party to the conversation is aware you are recording. I regularly record all phone conversations, and more that one time it has gotten my butt out of a crack! I simply do not use a phone that will not record. Even in other states, all you have to do is tell the other party you are recording the conversation.

Recording calls is benificial in many businesses. As with any feature, you can use this one for good, or to harm another person. Just because it can be abused doesn't mean I want the phone or OS manufacture to disable that feature. You can go to Radio Shack in ANY state and buy a in-line recording device for your home phone.

Jason Dunn
05-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Personally, I just do not like the idea of someone being able to record my conversations with them and vice versa.

Well, some people don't think HTML should ever be used in email, but that doesn't mean that Microsoft shouldn't provide the functionality. This feature needs to be added.

ARW
05-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Vito Audio Notes will let you record phone calls. I've done it but it sure takes a lot of memory after a while, recording all of your conversations! Plus, it makes you realize just how dull of a person you are to talk to when you sit through 20 minutes of "OK"s and "Uh-huh"s.

In theory this software would record calls, but in the two Smartphones I've used it with it does not work and in fact crashes the OS. I'd also add that support from the programmers is non-existent.

Don't waste your time or money with Vito in my experience.

Rocco Augusto
05-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Well, some people don't think HTML should ever be used in email, but that doesn't mean that Microsoft shouldn't provide the functionality. This feature needs to be added.

Yes, but I can turn off HTML support if I do not wish to view HTML emails. Even if I tell someone not to record me, there is nothing stopping them from doing it. mbranscum brings up an interesting point about using it for business and if i worked in a field where recording phone calls was needed or helped to recall details or save my rump if something goes wrong, im sure i would feel differently. As a general consumer though, I have no reasons to record a conversation with the Misses asking her to pick up some milk ;)

chiptransisto
05-08-2007, 12:47 AM
I hod the Cingular 2125. It would record all of my calls (with the right software). I miss that feature on my Blackjack.

thehelios
05-08-2007, 03:36 PM
This trick with turning on the video calling on the Samsung Blackjack still will not record a call. Typical, stupid glitches in BJ hardware.

onlydarksets
05-09-2007, 12:42 AM
I don't get the demand for this feature. Maybe I just don't do enough business on my cell.

quiksand
05-09-2007, 04:32 PM
I've used the feature on my old Motorola V300, & E398. It helped me out alot especially while getting directions from the person on the other end while in route. I would just record the conversation and play it back once I made it to their area.

The VITO Audio Notes program records your conversation but the party on the other end can barely be heard.