View Full Version : Are You Still Waiting for the Windows Mobile 6 Upgrade for Your T-Mobile Dash?

Kris Kumar
05-01-2007, 10:35 PM
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/Kris-may2007-wm6dashupgrade.jpg

In case you haven't heard, Windows Mobile 6 upgrade for the T-Mobile Dash has been leaked. Cannot believe it? Well, it happened over the weekend; tons of Dash users have upgraded their devices, and now they are trying to figure out the enhancements and the quirks. :) So my question to our readers who own the Dash is - Are you still waiting for the official release of the T-Mobile Dash Windows Mobile 6 upgrade? What is holding you back from trying out the leaked upgrade? Is it the scare of turning your awesome gadget in to a brick, or is it because you want to get the feedback from the initial wave of upgraders? In case you are one of those brave Dashers who have upgraded your device then tell us about the upgrade experience? Is it worth it? Do you think it is the real deal, I mean the version that will be released (hopefully) soon? What are the cool features? We would like to hear your thoughts and comments. And please refrain posting links to the leaked upgrade file, I am sure our readers can do a quick Google search to dig up the link. :wink:

bryant
05-01-2007, 10:43 PM
I upgraded my dash on Monday and everything worked great. I was previously running the beta image and the new image fixed a lot of issues that I saw on the beta. I know a few other people that also upgraded (from wm5) without any problems.

cube68
05-01-2007, 11:40 PM
:lol: I just upgraded mine, no brick here!!! My wife, also my personal TMo Data Device Tech Support rep, would have killed me if it did.... lol

LUIS
05-02-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm just waiting to hear from other users whether the upgrade re-activates the application lock on my Dash, and whether programs like Total Commander, Vieka Wordpad and TCPMP still work. Also, are there any changes with the way Pocket Internet Explorer accesses proxy servers?

Thanks!

LUIS

nutzareus
05-02-2007, 02:15 AM
Flashed 2 Dashes today, no bricks. :wink:

Kris Kumar
05-02-2007, 02:29 AM
Also, are there any changes with the way Pocket Internet Explorer accesses proxy servers?

What kind of changes? :?

xb
05-02-2007, 03:00 AM
The update does application lock it again but if your dash is already sim and cid unlocked it is just a matter of running the application unlocker again.

decodergrizzly
05-02-2007, 03:05 AM
I upgraded my Dash Sunday night, and after some tweaks (reinstalled Facade, Opera Mini, etc) it's working great! Honestly it's not that much different than WM5 so don't get too excited, a couple GUI improvements, some new sounds, themes, even new vibrates (pulsing, multiples, etc). Some new plugins/apps:

- Music Plug-In (my personal favorite): adds a media component to the homescreen for easy access to WMPlayer!
- Live Search: same one that was already available
- Windows Live: hotmail, etc.
- Handango InHand
- Live Messenger
- Office Mobile: edits only (we already knew that)
- Windows Mobile Extras (includes some ringtones, a free golf game and live search... again): you can access this by going into Pocket IE and checking Favorites
- Other native apps got a fresh coat of paint: calendar, messaging, calc, wmplayer, etc.

Everything runs pretty smoothly, and it might be just my imagination, but i think its running a little faster than before. As to the question whether or not its the Official update, I think it definitely is. First of all, the update interface shows a Dash with the Tmobile logo on it, the install was really easy, the internet explorer homepage is now a Tmobile page, and some other tmobile services are updated along with the phone. I guess we'll find out for sure in a couple days though.

By the way, the ROM update won't work in Vista with WMDC (at least it didn't for me), your Dash needs to be connected to ActiveSync for the update to recognize it, which means you need XP (i don't think that many people have made the switch anyway). For me it meant fishing out my old laptop from a pile of under-used tech...

KiLLiN-TiMe
05-02-2007, 03:08 AM
well I havent upgraded yet.
Im waiting for T-mobile to release it just for the sake of being honest and not running a pirated or leaked version. This may sound funny to some, but I believe in karma. How do you think T-mobile is going to act next time? And all because some of us couldnt wait just a few more days or weeks.
Now the funny thing about this is that I got scolded on the forum for talking about this image getting leaked. And it appears that I'm the only one who just wanted to talk about it... everyone else appears to have upgraded. LOL

Kris Kumar
05-02-2007, 03:29 AM
...Honestly it's not that much different than WM5 so don't get too excited, a couple GUI improvements, some new sounds, themes, even new vibrates (pulsing, multiples, etc). Some new plugins/apps:

- Music Plug-In (my personal favorite): adds a media component to the homescreen for easy access to WMPlayer!

Cool! Rocco will be happy to hear about the new sounds.

And the new vibrate mode sounds interesting. Can you set different vibrate modes for incoming-call, email and notification?

Music Plug-in, I don't remember hearing about that. I remember home screen plugin for Windows Live (Hotmail and Messenger) but not for Windows Media. That is a great idea.

- Windows Mobile Extras (includes some ringtones, a free golf game and live search... again): you can access this by going into Pocket IE and checking Favorites

Hmm, sounds like a page out of the Vista Ultimate marketing book. Windows Mobile Extras! Will have to keep an eye on that one. I usually delete all the Favorite Bookmarks that come out of the box and load my own set. This one sounds like a keeper.

Thanks for sharing the details. For a FREE upgrade I think it sounds like it is well worth it.

Kris Kumar
05-02-2007, 03:34 AM
Im waiting for T-mobile to release it just for the sake of being honest and not running a pirated or leaked version. This may sound funny to some, but I believe in karma.

It is definitely the right thing to do. :werenotworthy: It takes a lot of will power to do what you are doing.

This kind of leaks will only result in stronger copy protection mechanisms, which means registration keys, activations, all that Windows desktop pain will trickle down in to the mobile world.

Kris Kumar
05-02-2007, 03:42 AM
I would like to also hear about:

- Performance: in terms of response time, how quicky you can switch apps, launch menus, move thru items?
- Memory: Available memory (If you run Task Manager, it shows the Available Memory at the bottom of the screen). Is WM6 a hog?
- Battery life: better or worse? or same?

decodergrizzly
05-02-2007, 03:51 AM
And the new vibrate mode sounds interesting. Can you set different vibrate modes for incoming-call, email and notification?

Unfortunately, no. The different vibrate modes are for customizing different phone profiles.

Honestly I don't see the big deal in upgrading my phone with a leaked version of software that is offered free in the first place. If Tmobile was charging for the ROM updates and it was leaked, then that's a problem for me. Of course we still don't know if this is the true official update, so I might still have to update all over come Friday (i really hope not).

Gavino1212
05-02-2007, 05:37 AM
I'm still waiting for the official upgrade. From what I could ascertain from tmo tech support, it'll be free, unless there's a drastic change. I'd rather have an official release, better eligible for tech support that way than with a leaked version.

From what I saw in the ms released demo and from what I hear, I'm quite looking forward to it!! Can't create office docs in then"standard" version though. good thing I have Docs To Go! :D

chaznet
05-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Never tried the beta, but this version is working great.

I think you'll be disappointed to discover T-Mobile is further along with enforcing levels of service. The proxy server settings that allow internet use with the $5.99 per month T-Zones plan are not working consistently for email, not at all for Live Messenger. The $5.99 plan is fully implemented within the WAP browser included in the new ROM. It's all there now, the info you configure via the T-Mobile site now appears in the WAP browser (movie theatre info, weather, news, etc).

Also, are there any changes with the way Pocket Internet Explorer accesses proxy servers?

Thanks!

LUIS

zilla31
05-02-2007, 01:31 PM
I'm just waiting to hear from other users whether the upgrade re-activates the application lock on my Dash, and whether programs like Total Commander, Vieka Wordpad and TCPMP still work. Also, are there any changes with the way Pocket Internet Explorer accesses proxy servers?

Thanks!

LUIS

upgraded mine with no problems a couple days ago... TCPMP works great. As a matter of fact ALL of my previous programs (Agenda One, TCPMP, Resco Explorer and Photo Viewer, code wallet, smartphone notes, etc.) all work just fine. Am having a problem with txtman (which is sad because it is one of my most used, most loved programs): Everything installs and i can send SMS great but it won't trap incoming... they go straight to the new "text/mms" account in Pocket Outlook :(

tflags
05-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Finally, a MUCH needed upgrade which deserves 8 out of 10 stars.
One caveat: Although the LEAKED file DOES come from T-Mobile, there is a CURIOUS function MISSING: The upgrade DOES NOT, REPEAT, DOES NOT let you DOWNLOAD the E-mail Settings from T-Mobile. Due to this fact, T-Mobile Users with Corporate E-Mail DO LOOSE Push E-mail Capability if unable to set up an Outlook account with their own Exchange servers (like me... :(.) (I guess I should have copied the previous settings from my T-mobile account on a piece of paper...)
You'll continue to receive a SMS for EACH e-mail you receive; SMSs that were previously used to PUSH your e-mails through to the device.
On the other hand, Windows Live (Hotmail) account is THE FASTEST E-Mail PUSH account I've seen. I just registered to this Forum and the confirmation e-mail got to my Dash about TWO SECONDS after I pressed ok on the computer... BEAT THAT blackberry!
Windows Live is, i repeat, IS GREAT! Somebody at MS is getting his act together... HTML e-mail is GREAT, 'desktop' live for Mobile is great (although also available for the WM5.)
Anyhow, most of this stuff are QUITE WELCOMED corrections to previous FRUSTRATING KINKS about WM5; most notable:
- You can download messages every 5 mins (from 15 before)
- Better handling of long e-mails and attachments (although most require Exchange 2007 or windows live...)
- You can finally finish an e-mail without getting interrupted by anoying messages while typing... FINALLY!!!
- You can shortcut commands from the main or e-mail screens (like pressing 1 will reply all with just one press (nevermind a two second press.)

... I've used wm6 for a few days but so far the upgrade was HANDS DOWN WELL WORTH IT.
If you think about, THIS MIGHT AS WELL BE THE ONLY MICROSOFT OS UPGRADE that is FASTER, FREE and BETTER THAT THE PREVIOUS VERSION...

:) T.

cinimod1000
05-02-2007, 05:16 PM
I think this is a GREAT step forwards. Far better integration of programs, and therefore a better user experience. However, "chaznet" is right, T-Mobile is getting better at enforcing levels of service. I have the $5.99 T-Zones package, and with WM5 and WM6Beta I was able to set up IE, personal e-mail, Outlook with Exchange push, AND T-Zones to ALL WORK with the proxy connection (WAP). Now I can get everything EXCEPT T-Zones if I get data to connect WITHOUT the proxy. I can get T-Zones but NOT my persoanl e-mail if I DO use the proxy.
The problem lies in the personal e-mail UI. It only allows you to select either "work" or "internet" for each individual account, whereas in WM5 and WM6Beta you could also select "WAP Network". If anyone knows of a good workaround, let us all know!!!! Maybe WM6Beta is the answer for us cheapskates!!!!!!!

I think you'll be disappointed to discover T-Mobile is further along with enforcing levels of service. The proxy server settings that allow internet use with the $5.99 per month T-Zones plan are not working consistently for email, not at all for Live Messenger. The $5.99 plan is fully implemented within the WAP browser included in the new ROM. It's all there now, the info you configure via the T-Mobile site now appears in the WAP browser (movie theatre info, weather, news, etc).

Thanks!

LUIS

bkonia
05-02-2007, 06:12 PM
I did the upgrade and it worked fine.

The SINGLE biggest advantage of WM6 (IMHO) is that it's now possible to PERMANENTLY disable XT9! Hoooooooooooooooray!!!!!!

XT9 has to be one of the most annoying "features" EVER created. Now that it's dead and buried on my Dash, the usefulness of the Dash has increased by an order of magnitude. Before this upgrade, I had literally given up on using the Dash for any kind of serious work, due to the fact that every time I tried to enter any text into an app, I had to deal with the %$#@$&^$ XT9 interface popping up and messing up whatever it was that I was trying to type. Even text messaging was a constant frustration. What made matters worse was that I ended up with all kinds of misspelled words in my XT9 dictionary and there was no way to edit the dictionary. Argh!!!

I'm sure there are some people who like XT9, but I found it to be a ridiculous attempt to solve a problem that didn't exist and in the process, making life miserable for the user.

Anyway, I will stop ranting now, but I would LOVE to hear from other users who shared my frustration and now feel liberated from this awful technology.

LUIS
05-02-2007, 08:42 PM
It's a good thing I waited to upgrade, since I thoroughly enjoy my T-zones package's FULL functionality 8) Although that is a slick-looking UI. I agree, if anyone finds a work-around the WAP problem, please post it. Is it possible for anyone to extract the Home Screen Music plug-in so I can try to install it on my WM5 Dash?

thanks!

LUIS

quiksand
05-02-2007, 09:47 PM
well I havent upgraded yet.
Im waiting for T-mobile to release it just for the sake of being honest and not running a pirated or leaked version. This may sound funny to some, but I believe in karma. How do you think T-mobile is going to act next time? And all because some of us couldnt wait just a few more days or weeks.
Now the funny thing about this is that I got scolded on the forum for talking about this image getting leaked. And it appears that I'm the only one who just wanted to talk about it... everyone else appears to have upgraded. LOL

T-Mobile shouldn't act funny w/ us, we didn't leak the Upgrade. Someone on their end did. If anything is going to happen it will be w/ the way they handle releasing software internally a week before launch. They may make it a point to release it internally as well as to everyone else on the same day.

Upgraded w/ no problems. WMZip causes the phone to go into an infinite reboot loop while the TransFlash card is installed. Removing and reinserting the card after boot up works as a work around if u need the program. I decided to uninstall it and my phone booted normally w/ the card inserted afterwards.

zilla31
05-02-2007, 10:15 PM
I did the upgrade and it worked fine.

The SINGLE biggest advantage of WM6 (IMHO) is that it's now possible to PERMANENTLY disable XT9! Hoooooooooooooooray!!!!!!

XT9 has to be one of the most annoying "features" EVER created. Now that it's dead and buried on my Dash, the usefulness of the Dash has increased by an order of magnitude. Before this upgrade, I had literally given up on using the Dash for any kind of serious work, due to the fact that every time I tried to enter any text into an app, I had to deal with the %$#@$&^$ XT9 interface popping up and messing up whatever it was that I was trying to type. Even text messaging was a constant frustration. What made matters worse was that I ended up with all kinds of misspelled words in my XT9 dictionary and there was no way to edit the dictionary. Argh!!!

I'm sure there are some people who like XT9, but I found it to be a ridiculous attempt to solve a problem that didn't exist and in the process, making life miserable for the user.

Anyway, I will stop ranting now, but I would LOVE to hear from other users who shared my frustration and now feel liberated from this awful technology.

wait... how??????

bshpmark
05-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Let me get this straight. If I have the $5.99 data option right now under WM5, and I upgrade to WM6, I will NOT be able to use the $5.99 plan
any longer. Is that correct?

Kris Kumar
05-03-2007, 02:48 AM

How can it be disabled? :?

bkonia
05-03-2007, 03:14 AM

How can it be disabled? :?

Press Alt-Space when entering text. A menu will pop up that will allow you to select your desired text input mode. Select "ABC" from the menu (rather than XT9) and that's it! Goodbye XT9 :-)

Note: This is the exact same procedure you would use in WM5 to switch text input modes. The difference is that in WM5, you would have to go through this procedure EVERY TIME you entered text. In WM6, once you change the setting, it says remembers your selection and you never have to change it again.

Kris Kumar
05-03-2007, 03:50 AM
Thanks.

I am amazed that it took Microsoft upto WM6 to make the user selection stick. :lol:

Gavino1212
05-03-2007, 03:54 AM
WhooHooooooo!!!! Man, that's a relief!!!! I'll tell ya, while I initially liked the xt9, it eventually became a great pain in the thumb!! I'm glad ms actually listened to feedback. Maybe they actually had their own pains with it!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Kris Kumar
05-03-2007, 03:59 AM
How come no one has answered my question regarding - battery life, overall performance and memory availability. :cry:

decodergrizzly
05-03-2007, 04:21 AM
How come no one has answered my question regarding - battery life, overall performance and memory availability. :cry:

battery life: improved (i keep checking my battery percentage after surfing for a while and it definitely depletes slower than it used to... don't hold me to that claim though :wink: )

memory availability: could be better (the 22mb of memory definitely gets worked a lot, no different than before, as far as i can tell)

overall performance: great (even with the memory limitations, apps have so far run as they should, i've been esp. impressed with the power of the music plugin which is incredibly responsive in directly interfacing with media player, shows song information in real time, scrolls, etc all on the home screen).

what's a really good/the best a2dp headset to get? i've been looking at the plantronics pulsar 260

Kris Kumar
05-03-2007, 04:28 AM
memory availability: could be better (the 22mb of memory definitely gets worked a lot, no different than before, as far as i can tell)

Thanks...

20+MB available RAM is good. That is what WM5 had at the most. I am reading reports that Voice Command and possibly My5Fav eats up memory and processing power. Is it true? Or have you disabled them?

Is anyone using the Voice Command? How is it?

decodergrizzly
05-03-2007, 06:56 AM
Is anyone using the Voice Command? How is it?

I'm currently checking out voice command, and it's awesome! was this available in WM5? if it was i sure wasn't aware of it.

You only have to hold the Home button for a second or two and Voice Command activates, then you can say a command for it to carry out. Pretty straightforward, but it's pretty powerful. you can say things like "what time is it" "what is my signal strength" "what missed calls do i have" "call xxx", etc.

The cool thing i've come across though, is if you say "play media", you can specify exactly what album, artist, or song you want to play, so if your music files are well organized (like mine), it'll actually repeat the folder names to you (txt to speech style).

This stuff is much better suited for hands-free operation of course, but pretty damn cool either way.

Check out the features here: (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/voicecommand/features.mspx)

Pete Paxton
05-03-2007, 07:01 AM
I heard you can no longer create voice tags for contacts. This is one of my most used features in WM5. So is it possible to create voice tags for contacts in WM6?

decodergrizzly
05-03-2007, 07:23 AM
So is it possible to create voice tags for contacts in WM6?

I'm pretty sure you can't create voice tags anymore. With Voice Command you can still call your contacts by just saying the name, but i suppose not being able to assign nicknames and so on would be a negative.

Kris Kumar
05-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Does Voice Command work over Bluetooth?

Kris Kumar
05-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Engadget and the::unwired are reporting that T-Mobile has informed them via email that the official upgrade will be available tomorrow, May 4th.

We will be keeping an eye out and post the link on front page. Let us know if you see it first.

bshpmark
05-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Once again, am I correct in understanding that the $5.99 data plan will no longer allow me to access the internet or get my Comcast email under WM6?

KiLLiN-TiMe
05-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Once again, am I correct in understanding that the $5.99 data plan will no longer allow me to access the internet or get my Comcast email under WM6?

doesn't sound like it...

And for $5.99 your not paying for internet... your paying for T-Mobile Web. :roll:

T-MobileWeb
T-MobileWeb gives you a convenient mobile directory of information right on your phone. Access the same kind of information, news, and communication features you might use on the Internet, but made to fit your phone. Customize settings like My News, My Stocks, My Movies, My Weather, My Scores, My Horoscopes, and My Lottery so you can get quick access to just the T-MobileWeb information that interests you.

Another fine example of honesty and karma... :wink: Users were taking advantage of a flaw and now T-Mobile has plugged that hole with the new OS.

IMHO
KT

Islanti
05-03-2007, 10:31 PM
I've noticed a few annoying bugs so far...
1. Voice Command does NOT NOT NOT work via Bluetooth! With WM5 and VC v1.6 you could hit the headset button and talk to VC. No longer. Announcements do work via Bluetooth (although with a caveat, see below).
2. Also, Voice Command seems to ignore the "Announce Always" setting. If you're in a meeting (i.e calendar marked as Busy) you won't get voice notification for incoming email or phone calls.
3. The homescreen is sometimes reset to the default after a soft reset (strangely, it happens several seconds after you see your chosen homescreen!).

Everything else is really nice. Phone performance is still so-so (try to make a call and nothing happens or the phone immediately hangs up). Memory and performance seem similar to WM5, maybe a bit less available memory (I had Voice Command with WM5).

The bugs I mentioned above seem pretty obvious. I'm hoping the ROM wasn't the absolute final version that we'll see tomorrrow and these issues will be addressed.

No idea on the $5.99 T-Zones issue... I pay for the "real" Internet. :)

Kris Kumar
05-04-2007, 03:32 AM
Voice Command does NOT NOT NOT work via Bluetooth!

That sucks! :evil:

BTW, the home screen changing to T-Mobile default one is because of the MyFav program getting triggered from the \Windows\Startup folder upon bootup.

Gavino1212
05-04-2007, 05:50 AM
I take it that all my apps will be wiped upon intallation of WM6> and I have to reinstall them? hmm, most are on my memory card. but what about files? pics? :(

bystander
05-04-2007, 06:42 AM
I have Voice Command installed on my Cingular 3125 WM5 phone and have a BT headset installed.

I use BT connected headset to communicate all function, Call, Next Appointment, PLay, etc and it works well.

Curious in WM6 this does not work?

Kris Kumar
05-04-2007, 11:18 AM
I take it that all my apps will be wiped upon intallation of WM6> and I have to reinstall them? hmm, most are on my memory card. but what about files? pics? :(

The applications will have to be re-installed. Even if they are on the Storage Cards, the applications have some registry entries and the Start Menu shortcut icons which are in the main device memory which will get wiped out.

The good thing is that the stuff on the storage card will not be deleted, so the files will be preserved. For example files in My documents and My Pictures on the storage card will remain un-touched.

johnlo
05-04-2007, 02:05 PM
my DASH is unlocked and being use under Cingular. If i upgrade the OS to WM6, will the phone get locked again? or it will be fine?

GadgetGirl
05-04-2007, 03:55 PM
I upgraded my Dash's OS to WM6 yesterday, and have found VERY little problems so far. Also, I ONLY hve the $5.99 data plan with TMobile and am TOTALLY able to access the full web...Yahoo, eBay, Woot, my bank's website, even THIS website came up WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. Actually, I'm pretty sure browsing is even faster now! When using my WiFi connection at home, it opened pages almost immediately. But I am at work and NOT on a WiFi connection and am still able to access the web just fine, so I'm pretty sure the $5.99 plan is still gonna give full web.

The one problem I have found so far is when accessing streaming TV through Orb. When I select "Full Screen", it rotates the video vertical! I can't seem to find any place to adjust the orientation and this was never a problem on WM5...it always went full screen without a problem. I haven't had any of the home-screen probs I've read about...my settings have all stayed the same. Also, my Yahoo and Hotmail email come straight to my phone now (I have a free Yahoo account and was unable to get email sent to my phone with WM5). Also, the media shortcut on the homescreen is REALLY cool.

I'm LOVING WM6 so far!!! No big complaints here!!

khefer
05-07-2007, 09:15 PM
The one problem I have found so far is when accessing streaming TV through Orb. When I select "Full Screen", it rotates the video vertical! I can't seem to find any place to adjust the orientation and this was never a problem on WM5...it always went full screen without a problem.i'm getting the exact same issue in windows media player for wm6. i saw someone on another forum mention this also. I've called t-mobile tier 2 support about 3 times, noone knows how to resolve it. the local stores don't have wm6 phones yet.

hopefully microsoft issues a fix, i'm going to check windows updates on the phone tonight.

also regarding the $5.99 data plan, do you have to sign a contract for that or have a regular voice contract?

zilla31
05-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Voice Command does NOT NOT NOT work via Bluetooth!

That sucks! :evil:

BTW, the home screen changing to T-Mobile default one is because of the MyFav program getting triggered from the \Windows\Startup folder upon bootup.

is the app in startup we need to remove "cttmengine"? i only have two other executables in there besides that one and both appear to be things i know about ("rkey" and "SphNSetup"). I've eliminated this problem for myself by removing the t-mo default homescreens from /application data/home/ but i wouldn't mind killing myFavs too :)

Kris Kumar
05-09-2007, 03:13 AM
is the app in startup we need to remove "cttmengine"?

I don't remember ever seeing that in my \Windows\Startup folder.

I have My5MsgCenter.lnk which I renamed to .ln2. I kept the name the same but changed extension. And rebooted the phone and MyFav was no longer running. WooHoo!

zilla31
05-09-2007, 04:47 AM
Interesting... My windows startup folder only has the 3 files i listed above... i guess all 3 might be legitimate from some program or another i have installed. never saw any sign of any myfavs one :?:

ghostppc
05-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Does anyone know where you can get the upgrade if you don't have a t-mobile number?

hotelier
05-12-2007, 02:22 AM
The T-mobile Web/Email still work after the upgrade, you just have to set it up manually. Go to your T-zones settings for your email account and copy the settings that are in there for "pop3" settings and it should work fine. However, T-mobile will keep telling you that you can't access your email any more without buying the Data plan for an additional $29/mo.

Any way is any one experiencing memory shortages when running various apps. It seems that WM6 doesn't seem to release memory as efficinently and I have to keep going to Task Manager to terminate applications in order to get back my memory. I even have an extra 2Ggs Micro SD Card.

Along those lines my PC only seems to recognize 1.8Ggs, and wondering what happened to the other 0.2Ggs. Is it being reserved for apps or formating etc.

Kris Kumar
05-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Any way is any one experiencing memory shortages when running various apps. It seems that WM6 doesn't seem to release memory as efficinently and I have to keep going to Task Manager to terminate applications in order to get back my memory. I even have an extra 2Ggs Micro SD Card.

Do you have Voice Command enabled? (Start Menu -> Voice Command) If it is then that eats up a lot of memory. Also there is the MyFav client that is running in the background. I don't know for sure which is the worst of the two. But I have both disabled. Now I see close to 18MB at power on. Otherwise it was only 6-10MB at power on.

hotelier
05-12-2007, 08:22 PM
That's too bad because I liked the Voice Command feature. Will try that and see what happens.

Don't see MyFav any where in the apps, so I may not have that feature running.

Kris Kumar
05-12-2007, 09:34 PM
MyFav runs as a background process so is not visible in the list of running applications that the WinMo Task Manager shows. You will have to run the freebie task viewer program like CeleTask to view the background processes.