View Full Version : World compatible smartphone?

Philip Colmer
04-27-2007, 09:49 AM
We are seriously considering moving to Windows Mobile and away from BlackBerry. Then Verizon announces it is going to introduce the BlackBerry 8830 which supports both CDMA and GSM.

Are there any Windows Mobile devices that can perform the same network compatability tricks as the 8830?

--Philip

hunter054321
04-27-2007, 04:57 PM
We are seriously considering moving to Windows Mobile and away from BlackBerry. Then Verizon announces it is going to introduce the BlackBerry 8830 which supports both CDMA and GSM.

Are there any Windows Mobile devices that can perform the same network compatibility tricks as the 8830?

--Philip

I have used the Blackberry phone and was very unsatisfied with its performance. The BlackBerry has limited options compared to a Windows Mobile phone. BlackBerry uses EDGE which limits you to a subscription. Where a Windows mobile device you have WIFI, Bluetooth, USB, and GSM-CDMA on some networks. As far as i have seen and studied a Windows mobile device will do everything a blackberry phone will do. Plus with windows mobile you get more options.

Clayton

Philip Colmer
04-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Clayton

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate that Windows Mobile has more connectivity options than a BlackBerry. What I'm trying to find out, though, is whether there are any WM devices that either have quad GSM radios, or support for both GSM and CDMA.

Regards

Philip

Kris Kumar
04-29-2007, 05:35 AM
Philip

Most of the recent Windows Mobile Smartphones launched on Cingular and T-Mobile are Quad band GSM.

Examples: Samsung BlackJack, T-Mobile Dash, Cingular 3125.

Couple of the upcoming models the HTC Vox and Moto Q 9h are also Quad band devices. We dont know the carrier or the launch date yet.

Kris Kumar
04-29-2007, 05:37 AM
There aren't any Windows Mobile devices that are dual-network: CDMA and GSM. There are good Quad-band GSM devices.

Sven Johannsen
04-30-2007, 03:25 AM
Kind of a neat trick, GSM and CDMA, but I don't think it makes it any more universal than a Quad band GSM phone. Sure you get the option of using Sprint or Verizon in the US, but you will have to go with some other, likely GSM carrier, overseas. The GSM only phones will work with T-Mobile or the "New ATT" aka Cingular here , and with GSM overseas. None of the carriers in the states cover every nook and cranny, and you do have to be a bit careful to pick the right carrier based on all the places you go. I have a T-Mobile account (and Cing) but without doing anything it connected to T-Mobile in the Netherlands and Germany.

It is likely the phone was built for Verizon/Sprint which couldn't claim a world phone withourt supporting GSM. Cingular and T-Mobile GSM phones have always been world phones (assuming the bands were there, which is true of the Blackberry too.)

Kris Kumar
04-30-2007, 03:38 AM
You are right Sven, this 8830 is definitely designed for US Verizon and Sprint customers. The reason: the 8830 is crippled. It is only two-band GSM (900/1800), no US GSM bands. :-(