View Full Version : Help Please: BJ won't sync with AS4.5

hotdram
04-24-2007, 12:02 AM
Just bought a new BJ and now I can not get it to sync to Outlook using AS4.5. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Also,
Does the data download speed default to Edge instead of 3G? How can I get it to change to 3G (at the store it said 3G, in my house where I should have coverage in a suburb of Dallas, it says "E").

Thanks,
Rob

hotdram
04-24-2007, 01:04 AM
When I plug the phone in to the PC, I don't see any USB connections under the device manager, just a "Windows Mobile Based Device" under the network adapters section.
(When I plug my SMT-5600 in, I see a "Windows CE USB Devices" catergory with a "Smartphone USB SYNC" device underneath it.

Thanks,
Rob

hotdram
04-24-2007, 01:59 AM
Samsung's tech support didn't help much. Waited on hold for about 10 minutes so a human could come on to tell me that they are under going a system update, please call back in an hour.

I am ready to return this thing.

Rob

Mike Temporale
04-24-2007, 02:09 AM
Just bought a new BJ and now I can not get it to sync to Outlook using AS4.5. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

There seems to be a number of people with Sync problems as of late. Have you disabled your firewall(s)?

Does the data download speed default to Edge instead of 3G? How can I get it to change to 3G (at the store it said 3G, in my house where I should have coverage in a suburb of Dallas, it says "E").

If you're getting 3G in some places and not in others, then it's just poor 3G coverage. It will automatically switch to 3G when available. Try different rooms in your house or walk around the outside. It might just be a weak signal in your home.

hotdram
04-24-2007, 02:13 AM
There seems to be a number of people with Sync problems as of late. Have you disabled your firewall(s)?

Yes, I have tried that. Then to the list of exclusions, I have added ports 990, 999 and 5679. I also included "CEAPPMGR.exe"

If you're getting 3G in some places and not in others, then it's just poor 3G coverage. It will automatically switch to 3G when available. Try different rooms in your house or walk around the outside. It might just be a weak signal in your home.

That's what I figured, however I haven't left the stupid PC in over 3 hours trying to get the thing to sync :(

Thank Mike :)

~stilltryin'Rob

hotdram
04-24-2007, 02:19 AM
This is very frustrating. I am fairly "tech savvy" and have been dorking with this for hours. I can't imagine how someone who is a neophyte to Smartphones/ActiveSync would feel. This is enough to scare people away big time.

~Rob

Mike Temporale
04-24-2007, 02:37 AM
:( I don't know what it is, but there seems to be a lot of problems with sync'ing the BlackJack. I've been lucky, but there are a lot of posts with people having problems. Odd.

I can't think of anything else to suggest. :?

hotdram
04-24-2007, 03:48 AM
2 PC's, 5 hours, Cingular Chat can't help me, referred me to Samsung (who I called earlier). Called them back (as it was well over an hour since I called them the first time. They are now closed :(

Totally ridiculous,
This thing is going back to Cingular tomorrow.
~Rob

Mike Temporale
04-24-2007, 04:08 AM
perhaps you should exchange it and see if it's just the device or if it is more than that. :?

hotdram
04-24-2007, 04:15 AM
perhaps you should exchange it and see if it's just the device or if it is more than that. :?

Exchange is the plan :)
I am going to try at work tomorrow with my PC there but it doesnt matter. If I can't sync at home, it is worthless.
After much searching on the web, many many people are having issues like this. Seems like there is no one common answer.

~Rob

hotdram
04-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Well,
I do not believe the device is the problem (can't be the user either :lol: )
I hooked it up to my PC at work (XP Pro SP2) and it works fine 8)

~Rob

Mike Temporale
04-24-2007, 12:38 PM
frustrating.

It has to be some software installed on your home machine. OneCare? ZoneAlarm? Perhaps it's a bad USB port? <grasping at straws />

hotdram
04-25-2007, 03:19 AM
frustrating.

It has to be some software installed on your home machine. OneCare? ZoneAlarm? Perhaps it's a bad USB port? <grasping at straws />

Very frustrating.
No other programs on the machine that should/could be causing it. USB port is good.

Spent 98 minutes on the phone (landline :) ) with Samsung Level 2 tech support and they couldn't figure it out :(
They told me to call back tomorrow and they will push it to Level 3.
I was just getting my phone set up the way I wanted, had a few installed programs on it from the earlier sync'ing with my work PC, had all my contacts and calender entries in it BUT the Level 2 support had me do a hard reset of the device with a fresh install of AS4.5 I told him I had already done that last night but we had to do it again so I could go to Level 3. :evil:
Now I sit here with a virgin phone again.

Tomorrow is another day,
~Rob

Mike Temporale
04-25-2007, 03:37 AM
:lol: at least they didn't have you hard reset your desktop. ;)

Keep us posted on how things go tomorrow. I'm still thinking it's something on your home machine - not sure what, but it's the only option given that it works at work.

hotdram
04-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Cisco VPN Client appears to be the issue.
I went into Start>Run>services.msc and changed the Cisco VPN client software startup type to "disabled" rebooted the machine (also changed the start up type of Windows Firewall and Symantec Corporate A/V to "disabled" before I rebooted). After the reboot, I plugged the phone in and it worked flawlessly :)
Now, I just enabled the Firewall (left VPN and A/V s/w disabled) and no joy. Seems as if I have to disable the Windows Firewall and VPN s/w to get it to work.
I have another PC at home with the VPN s/w on it, so I am going to remove it from the machine I use most. (Luckily, I don't have to log into work too often :) )
There is probably a way to get it to work without disabling the Firewall (and VPN for that matter), but I am tired of messing with it, so for now I am happy.
Someday, I will figure out what to put in the exceptions of the Firewall to allow it to work (probably a 900 or 990 port issue).

Thanks for the help and suggestions Mike,

~Rob

Mike Temporale
04-26-2007, 11:35 AM
argh.... VPNs seem to get in the way a lot of things. :( Glad you got things solved. :D