View Full Version : Are You There, Microsoft? It's Me, Rocco

Rocco Augusto
04-19-2007, 11:11 PM
I realized something when I woke up this morning. My Samsung Blackjack, as well as every single Windows Mobile Smartphone I have owned before it, happens to make some of the most god-awful noises I have ever heard. The ear piercing sound of the infamously horrible Trill ring tone that my alarm is set to was almost enough to make me smash my Smartphone with a hammer.<br /><br />After fully coming to my senses and realizing that my city was not under some kind of nuclear attack, I started wondering why Microsoft hates us so much. It is sort of like a cruel joke. Microsoft creates a beautiful operating system which gives it users' unlimited possibilities for use, yet they still cannot design a decent homescreen or include less offensive ringtones/tones. In fact, a majority of the tones that were included on our devices sound like they were created on an old MIDI keyboard back in the dark ages of the twentieth century, better known as the 1980's.<!><br /><br />Maybe I just don't get it. Maybe I'm asking for too much. All I do know is that Microsoft has spent a fair amount of money and time on creating the <a href="http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=287615">ultra pleasant sounding start-up music</a>, alerts, chimes and other little sound clips that are included Windows Vista. I also know that these files are relatively small and all Windows Mobile Smartphones have the ability to play mp3, WMA and WAV files. There is no excuse for Microsoft to continue to torture our eardrums on a daily basis with our current horrific monotone offerings.<br /><br />Please Microsoft, for the love of all things mobile and good, save us from your tone deaf offerings with the release of Window Mobile 6. If not, who knows, you might lose a few customers when Apple and Cingular release the greatest one trick pony of all time, the Apple iPhone. Think about it, while Steve Jobs and the majority of all Apple products are extremely pretentious and annoying... They have always been kind to the senses. Windows Mobile devices are no longer the toys of professionals and geeks. With the release of the Samsung Blackjack and the T-Mobile Dash, Microsoft has managed to step out of its niche market place and plant itself firmly into the hands and minds of every day consumers. No longer is the battle going to be about which operating system has the most business-like features but instead, which system has the coolest toys or which system looks the prettiest or which system will be the best for listening/watching to media on the go (<a href="http://smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13252">sorry Jerry!</a>)<br /><br />Trill, Ding, Dogbark, Fantasy, LaDiDaDi and Mystic are not going to cut it in this new battlefield. In fact, I recommend destroying them all together.<br /><br /><i>Rocco Augusto currently resides in the Portland, Oregon and owns and operates the online cellular accessory store <a href="http://www.roccstar.com">RoccStar Accessories</a>. He also works fulltime as a Web Developer for a local digital marketing agency, <a href="http://www.thenewgroup.com/">The New Group</a>. Rocco enjoys tinkering with all things technology related, but his real passion lies in Windows Mobile Smartphones and Home Theater PCs. When Rocco does not have his head bury in lines of code, you can usually find him listening to some of his favorite Netcasts on the <a href="http://www.twit.tv/">TWiT</a> network as well as spending quality time with his beautiful daughter and fiancée.</i>

Kris Kumar
04-19-2007, 11:27 PM
For me, those obnoxious sounds work well; that is the only way I can be woken up. :lol:

Anyway, I think it is the fault of the carriers and device manufacturers. Microsoft is supposed to deliver the core operating system with some sample sounds. Agreed that they sound terrible, but Microsoft is spending the dollars where only they can contribute. The home screens and ringtones are things that the carriers are supposed to personalize. Too bad they just take the base OS and slap it on a piece of hardware. At least that is what everyone seems to be doing. Only Orange has shown some customizations on the home screen front. And same is true for the recent Samsung carousel home screen.

But good rant. I agree Microsoft should atleast bring it to the 21st century level. I am sure their competitor Apple will do a good job. iPhone is a closed system. If they don't no one will for them.

Rocco Augusto
04-19-2007, 11:31 PM
I agree, it isn't just Microsoft's fault but Microsoft has known for a while that while they leave the ability to customize the OS before the hardware ships... the carriers just do not care to do it. This is the reason why we have those incredible silly contact photos!

That is like saying, "even though I know no one will eat this burnt pot roast I just made, it is still technically edible so I expect people to eat it!" :lol:

Jason Dunn
04-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Great rant Rocco! I agree, the default sounds, for the most part, suck. :? I do know though that the Windows Mobile team now has a guy who's entire job it is to work on the system sounds...hopefully come "next OS time" we'll see his fingerprints on the process. ;-)

Tim Williamson
04-19-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm enjoying the new more subtle sounds in WM6 Beta, but who knows what will be included in final. The great thing about Smartphones over Dumbphones is the ability to add unlimited sounds and ringtones. So it may take a little work, but it's relatively easy to go with a different sound scheme.

Rocco Augusto
04-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Great rant Rocco! I agree, the default sounds, for the most part, suck. :? I do know though that the Windows Mobile team now has a guy who's entire job it is to work on the system sounds...hopefully come "next OS time" we'll see his fingerprints on the process. ;-)

We better, or I'll be angry! We wouldn't like me when I'm angry! ;)

Mike Temporale
04-20-2007, 06:10 PM
I like the BlackJack and Samsung, because they actually added some new sounds - they aren't great, but they aren't too bad either.

On the other hand, I have recorded my own tones and I love 'em!

ctmagnus
04-20-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm with Mike. I tend to record my own sounds for my devices.

otoh, I quite enjoy some of the default sounds on the Treo lineup and am actually using some of them.

Jon Westfall
04-21-2007, 04:58 AM
I've never been cruel to animals in my life... but that dogbark sound has got to go. It makes me want to do mean things...

Of course I'd feel better if whoever at Microsoft decided to include that awful noise would step up and take responsibility. I'd use the following emoticrons in a comment to his post and all would be better:

:agrue: :snipersmile: :2gunfire:

:beer:

Rocco Augusto
04-21-2007, 10:50 PM
:agrue: :snipersmile: :2gunfire:

dont forget this one!

:splat: