View Full Version : Internal sotrage problems

twangg
04-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Hello, I have a samsung BJ that has 54M of internal storage. It seems that I already am using 38M of storage.
1How do I know what to clean it up?
2For applications such as opera, handango can I install them to my external SD card to save my internal storage?
3I have .cab files such as zagat and opera in my doc on my device. Do, I need to keep them once I have installed the applications?
4 I also have some .tmp files about 4Megs? How do I know if I can delete them? How do I delete them?

Thanks

onlydarksets
04-12-2007, 03:20 PM
As a first step, open PIE, go to Options, and clear the cache. That can eat up to 10MB+, IIRC.

twangg
04-12-2007, 03:38 PM
HI Thanks..yep did that already..for both the PIE and also the opera browser. Still have like 38-40 megs used up in my internal storage? Have no idea where it is all from and what I can get rid of.

onlydarksets
04-12-2007, 03:43 PM
You don't need to store the cab files after you have installed them. I keep them backed up on my storage card, though.

You can install most applications to the SD card. Just beware of installing applications that operate at startup, as the SD card doesn't get mounted till relatively late in the bootup sequence. The impact of that is that the phone tries to launch an application on the SD card before it even knows that the SD card is there. I would imagine Opera would be safe to install on the SD card, but it's probably a trial-and-error process.

twangg
04-12-2007, 06:23 PM
I copied 2 cabs to my sd card. I still have around 35 megs of internal storage used up? How can I clean up the rest. ie. find out where these are and decide what to delete?

Is 35 megs of internal storage used normal? I only have 2 outside appications that I downloaded...zagat and opera?

Thanks

onlydarksets
04-12-2007, 06:29 PM
The biggest culprits are usually:
1. PIE cache
2. Email attachments (if you've downloaded a lot)
3. Programs installed to main memory.

However, I once found that my wife had (on her 3125) recorded a HUGE (~10MB) sound clip by accident. I couldn't figure out why she kept running out of memory, then I found this file. Check the "My Documents" directory to see if you have accidentally recorded a video (although those are limited to 30 seconds) or sound clip. Then, check all of the other directories (do it through Windows Explorer on your PC, though - much less of a headache) to see if you find anything unexpected.

onlydarksets
04-12-2007, 06:38 PM
I have a ton of stuff loaded on here, and I am using about 27MB with another 26MB free. That said, I have a Q, not the BJ. From what I can tell, the Q has more flash memory than the BJ?

twangg
04-12-2007, 07:06 PM
I have this:
_Mem_Temp_.tmp 4 megs. temp file? Can I delete? Also this PIM.VOL (vol file). These 2 are not located in any specific folder.

Other than this the only other area I do find significant Memory used in in my opera folder under the aplications folder. Even then it does not add up to the storage used?

That is all I can really find?

onlydarksets
04-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Don't delete the VOL files!!!! Those are database files. I don't know about the TMP file.

twangg
04-12-2007, 07:23 PM
THe TMP files wouldn't be my contacts or calander would they? Where are those usually sotred?

onlydarksets
04-12-2007, 07:27 PM
In VOL files. Actually, PIM.VOL contains your calendar, tasks, etc.

Also, I wouldn't "delete" anything at this point - just move it to your SD card or PC. If you have Sprite, you might want to backup first.

If you are in doubt about any file, post here - somebody is bound to know the answer!

Mike Temporale
04-13-2007, 02:09 AM
THe TMP files wouldn't be my contacts or calander would they? Where are those usually sotred?

Contacts and Calander are stored in the PIM.VOL. That temp file sounds pretty fishy - I would delete it. 4MB file just hanging around just doesn't sound right.