View Full Version : GPS without a reciever?

zx6guy
04-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Sprint released Telenav today to anyone who has a $20 data plan or higher. It does turn by turn, voice directions, 3D moving maps, ect all without a external GPS receiver (it uses the gpsone chipset that is already in most phones). The only problem is it doesn't work on any WM devices. The only other software I've come across that is even close to something like this is Mologogo but it lacks much of the features of telenav. In addition the only people I know that have gotten it to work is Mologogo themselves (they have pics on their site of it running on a Q which I can't seem to replicate).

So the question(s) is have you gotten mologogo to work or do you know if Sprint is planning on bringing telenav to the WM in the future?

Sven Johannsen
04-03-2007, 05:50 AM
(it uses the gpsone chipset that is already in most phones).
That true? Isn't GPSone a Qualcomm technology and therefore found in CDMA phones?

I wouldn't dispute that CDMA is a widespread technology, but my gut feel is that the majority of WM phones out there are GSM. Could be wrong.

zx6guy
04-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Your right, I should have said "CDMA phones" when I was talking about the chipset. I guess I thought it was implied since I was talking about Sprint.

Sven Johannsen
04-04-2007, 04:01 AM
The real news here is that Sprint is giving it away, (if you have a data plan, you get it). Cingular supports Telenav too, but indicate you need an external (BT) GPS. That's just because they don't offer a phone with GPS in it. There are GSM phones that do have GPS, though not the qualcom flavor. Cingular wants $6-$10/month subscription, and you have to have a data plan.

'Free' is better.

onlydarksets
04-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Looks like Verizon is coming out with something for WM5 phones:
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/04/03/verizon-to-bring-lbs-to-pdas/

azhu
04-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Does it support Cingular 2125?