View Full Version : PDA Connect vs SmartPhone Connect vs MediaNet

samw5
03-27-2007, 10:39 PM
Ok I've been looking at this for a while and still can't figure this out.

From what I understand the PDA Connect uses Cingular's isp proxy.
The MediaNet and SmartPhone connect use their wap proxy.

The wap proxy connection doesn't allow for VPN access.

I am a current Tmobile customer. I have a HTC TyTN and would like to migrate it to Cingular (since I'm in a UMTS market).

I am considering purchasing the Cingular 3125 with their unlimited SP connect plan.

The questions are:
1) could i access any website by using the wap proxy?
2) are there any speed performance degradation from using the SP data plan instead of their PDA plans.
3) what are the differences between the MediaNet and SmartPhone Connect plans.
4) do any of these plan work with push mail?

My monthly data usage runs around 200/300MB. I realize that PDAs are supposed to get their PDA data plans but since I'm going to use both devices I figured I might get away with the $19.99/month plan.
I'm trying to figure out what I would get away with...

Rocco Augusto
03-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Here is the quick and dirty truth. They all do the same thing! There is very little difference between the data packages. The only real difference that I can think of off the top of my head is that Smartphone Connect cannot access Cingular/Cellular Video (at least it couldn't when I got my Blackjack ;).)

When I was working for Cingular they broke it down like this. Depending on how data centric your handset was is what determined your data plan. I personally use the Media Max 200 data plan which gives me unlimited data and 200 SMS a month. Since my Blackjack has a keyboard on it and push email, Cingular figures I would use a lot more data then someone with a Motorola RAZR or Cingular 2125 therefor the stores try and stick you on the $39.99 PDA Connect plan.

Now I know what you're thinking, "Cingular is trying to rip me off!"

The truth is, the people who determine what features go to what phone are so out of touch with the products they sell that they do not know the difference between Windows Mobile Standard (Smartphone) and Windows Mobile professional (Pocket PC). They just see the device has a keyboard so it must be one of the devices that require the higher up data plan. You have no idea how many friendly, yet heated, arguments I have been in with a few friends of mine in the Cingular corporate offices here in Cingular on the same subject. :(

samw5
03-28-2007, 06:37 PM
I see... I guess ideally the Media Max 200 package would be great as I do use text messages from time to time but I don't see it available for the Cingular 3125 and definitely won't be available for the 8525 unless purchased additionally.

Regardless of which plan I may go with I was wondering if 200-300MB/month of usage may be deemed excessive with any of those plans but for the PDA connect.

Rocco Augusto
03-28-2007, 06:56 PM
looking at my phone bill, last month I used 472MB worth of data. Go team me! ;)

samw5
03-28-2007, 08:37 PM
perfect... i'm gonna try signing up for the Media Max 200.

Just gotta figure out how to get the phone I want.

Ideally the Blackjack would be nice but I may have to get one of those that allow for the Media plans like the LG... I probably won't use it much but I figured if I'm getting a 2 year contract I might as well get a nice replacement phone.