View Full Version : Cingular Expected To Release Windows Mobile 6 for Top Selling Phones

Mike Temporale
03-26-2007, 09:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=86360#86360' target='_blank'>http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=86360#86360</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Here is the latest information regarding windows mobile 6.0 and the BlackJack. Samsung and Microsoft are submitting 6.0 software version to Cingular on May 26th. At that time Cingular has 8 weeks to review the OS and give approval. Given the approval all BlackJack from late July time frame going forward will come from the factory with the new 6.0 OS. Also at that time there will be a download for existing BlackJack users who want to upgrade via an Cingular/AT&amp;T hosted website. So yes , given Cingular approval the BlackJack will support windows 6.0 OS."</i> <br /><br />Smartphone Thoughts reader, Foxbat121 has posted a copy of a letter sent from Samsungs National Accounts Manager that talks about the possibility of Cingular releasing a Windows Mobile 6 update for their 3 top selling phones. If you're questioning the validity of this post, then you might want to read a recent post over on <a href="http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/03/26/cingulars-treo-750-blackjack-and-8525-get-wm6-treatment/">Engadget Mobile</a> that has the exact same information. It's starting to look very promising. I hope I can wait until July. :mrgreen:

Rocco Augusto
03-26-2007, 09:44 PM
i cant wait until july :(

Jerry Raia
03-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Wow I didn't expect that! Great News! :D

rdecker
03-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Glad I didn't buy Documents to Go!!

bystander
03-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Your headline refers to CINGULAR releasing WM6 to Cingular top selling phoneS, when in fact the piece only speaks about Backjack or Samsung phoneS only.

Those of us who bought another popular WM5 phone (the 3125) remain hopeful and are certainly led to read this Blackjack article anticipating that other phoneS will be discussed as well.

Patience is painful...
:(

gvaldivia
03-26-2007, 11:43 PM
wow! best news ive seen in awhile! cant wait to upgrade my balckjack!!

Jet Yi
03-27-2007, 12:23 AM
Question is exactly what flavor of WM6 will Samsung/Microsoft send to Cingular. Will it include Mobile Office or will it be a WM6 Lite similar to the WM5 Lite which BlackJack Cingular users have today.

Foxbat121
03-27-2007, 12:48 AM
Question is exactly what flavor of WM6 will Samsung/Microsoft send to Cingular. Will it include Mobile Office or will it be a WM6 Lite similar to the WM5 Lite which BlackJack Cingular users have today.

This has been beaten to death on this forums. It will be WM6 Standard of course.

sigmamason
03-27-2007, 12:57 AM
will this apply to the treo 750 also?

Kris Kumar
03-27-2007, 02:43 AM

It will get the Windows Mobile 6 Standard edition. It will have Mobile Office, you will be able to edit documents on your smart phone (BlackJack) post upgrade.

Mike Temporale
03-27-2007, 04:41 AM
Your headline refers to HTC releasing WM6 to Cingular top selling phoneS, when in fact the piece only speaks about Backjack or Samsung phoneS only.

There's no mention of HTC in my headline.

Cingular Expected To Release Windows Mobile 6 for Top Selling Phones

If you read the Engadget post and the quote from Foxbait you'll see there is no mention of HTC. This news is really just focused on the BlackJack. The other top Cingular devices are not Smartphone (Standard) based devices. Sorry for any confusion.

From what we reported in the past, HTC is only looking at doing devices with a keyboard. And from what I've heard, the 3125 didn't sell as well as expected. So that might limit it's chance of getting an upgrade.

aussienick
03-28-2007, 02:06 AM
will this apply to the treo 750 also?

YES :D

See this thread from www.pocketpcthoughts.com :D :D :D

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=433325&amp;sid=d9fd57dde0a3e1226f56364e57351a9d

alecs
06-15-2007, 01:43 PM
The WM6 update for the Blackjack is carrier branded.

Is there the possibility that there will be a WM6 ROM update for those of us who purchased unlocked standard Blackjacks?

Would be great if the answer was yes for us also :-)

Mike Temporale
06-15-2007, 02:30 PM

Is there the possibility that there will be a WM6 ROM update for those of us who purchased unlocked standard Blackjacks?

There is a chance, but only Cingular and Samsung know for sure. If it happens, we'll be posting about it. So keep watching the front page. ;)

alecs
06-16-2007, 05:08 AM

There is a chance, but only Cingular and Samsung know for sure. If it happens, we'll be posting about it. So keep watching the front page. ;)

Thanks for the answer Mike.
But wouldn't that sort of information be known by Microsoft and Samsung rather than the carrier?

I'll be watching this forum like a hawk from now on - just came across it and think it is a gold mine :-)

Mike Temporale
06-19-2007, 01:49 AM
But wouldn't that sort of information be known by Microsoft and Samsung rather than the carrier?

Microsoft has nothing to do with it. Basically it works like this, the carrier enquires with the device manufacturer as to the cost of releasing an upgarde. The carrier goes away and does some test and calculates a number. They then share that with the carrier who decides if that's something they wish to do. Microsoft never comes into the equation. They just sell the OS to Samsung. I would imagine that there are a number of different devices in the works right now at any one manufacturer. So the question becomes, at what point does the device manufacturer have to pay microsoft for the liceneses?

hotdram
06-19-2007, 12:25 PM
There is a chance, but only Cingular and Samsung know for sure.

What about AT&amp;T? :lol:

~Rob

Mike Temporale
06-20-2007, 02:36 AM
What about AT&amp;T? :lol:

I'm holding out. I think they'll be changing their name back to Cingular once they realize how stupid that move was. ;)

hotdram
06-20-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm holding out. I think they'll be changing their name back to Cingular once they realize how stupid that move was. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hear ya,
~Rob