View Full Version : Check Your Clock - It's Daylight Savings Time

Kris Kumar
03-11-2007, 05:05 PM
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/DST.jpg

It is that time of the year, and this year it has come early for folks in the United States and Canada; it is time to update our clocks and adjust it for Daylight Savings Time. My Dash and my wife's 3125 adjusted the clock automatically, and the best part was that they didn't require the Microsoft patch for DST. I believe all the Smartphones with the AKU 3.0 and above update have the DST fix. In case your Smartphone did not update the time then you need to install this patch (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13592) provided by Microsoft, and also manually move the clock ahead by one hour.

Our forum software doesn't handle Daylight Savings very nicely. You might want to manually change your time zone in your profile to allow the message board to correctly display the time where you live. For example, I live in GMT -5, so I have switched my timezone to be GMT -4 and that puts me 1 hour ahead. ;-)

Kris Kumar
03-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Test Post: This post was made at 12:09 PM EST (with DST in effect). The time above and in this line should be in sync, if you are in East coast and have updated the profile.

Jerry Raia
03-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Someday we will all come to our senses and stop this stupid twice a year clock ritual!

expediter
03-12-2007, 02:09 AM
I installed the DST patch on my Blackjack a couple of week ago. This morning it had advanced 2 hours! [sigh]

ctmagnus
03-12-2007, 02:10 AM
Someday we will all come to our senses and stop this stupid twice a year clock ritual!

Hear, hear!

There now is an advantage to living in Saskatchewan. ;)

As a side note, I believe today was officially the latest I have ever slept. But that's the governments fault, not mine.

Kris Kumar
03-12-2007, 02:23 AM
... As a side note, I believe today was officially the latest I have ever slept. But that's the governments fault, not mine.

I am worried about tomorrow. I have a meeting at 8AM and I have a feeling that I will be late for that.

ctmagnus
03-12-2007, 02:26 AM
I am worried about tomorrow. I have a meeting at 8AM and I have a feeling that I will be late for that.

Well, if you are late, you know who you can blame. ;)

Jerry Raia
03-12-2007, 02:40 AM
I installed the DST patch on my Blackjack a couple of week ago. This morning it had advanced 2 hours! [sigh]

Cingular? Because they said no patch was necessary for the BlackJack. My BlackJack did as it was supposed to.

Kris Kumar
03-12-2007, 02:45 AM
Cingular? Because they said no patch was necessary for the BlackJack. My BlackJack did as it was supposed to.

It is Microsoft's fault for not publishing the list of devices that don't need the update. And also for putting out a patch that does not check if the device needs the patch or not. :evil:

expediter
03-12-2007, 02:56 AM

It is Microsoft's fault for not publishing the list of devices that don't need the update. And also for putting out a patch that does not check if the device needs the patch or not. :evil:

Agreed! Didn't see where Cingular, er AT&T, said that it wasn't necessary. Should I remove it? It's listed in the installed programs.

amg212
03-12-2007, 03:14 AM
Applying the patch to devices that already had the correct DST rules shouldn't have made a difference. All the "patch" did was to update the registry with correct DST rules. If the device already had the right rules, the "patch" would've simply replaced certain registry keys with identical information.

If the BJ didn't need it, the only harm in installing it was the couple of minutes wasted.

expediter
03-12-2007, 03:24 AM
Applying the patch to devices that already had the correct DST rules shouldn't have made a difference. All the "patch" did was to update the registry with correct DST rules. If the device already had the right rules, the "patch" would've simply replaced certain registry keys with identical information.

If the BJ didn't need it, the only harm in installing it was the couple of minutes wasted.

In my case it did make a difference. My clock advanced by 2 hours this morning, not one :(

Jerry Raia
03-12-2007, 03:45 AM
Cingular sent me an SMS message about the upgrade with a link. The BlackJack was excluded.

OSUKid7
03-12-2007, 06:10 AM
My Cingular 2125 added two hours as well. Interestingly enough though, it seemed like they weren't both at 2am, as they should have been (well, that would make a little more sense, anyway). I was awake until after midnight, and as I changed a couple ancient clock devices manually, I noticed my Smartphone was already correctly set - and that was at around 12:30am. When I woke up in the morning, my Smartphone was then an hour ahead of the correct time. :roll:

I sure didn't hear from Cingular that I wasn't supposed to apply the patch... So now that I've corrected the time on my 2125 myself, should I keep the patch program installed for November, or uninstall it and hope Cingular "fixes" it for me?

Foxbat121
03-12-2007, 12:41 PM

In my case it did make a difference. My clock advanced by 2 hours this morning, not one :(

I applied patch as well and my BJ advanced clock correctly. Same can not be said for my 8125 and SMT5600. Even though I applied patches, they didn't advance the clock.

There are reports that ppl didn't apply patch for their BJ because Cingular listed it as not necessary and they phone didn't change the time correctly.

Lurk
03-12-2007, 02:47 PM
I have the QTek 8310 and the patch is botched here. My clock wasn't updated, so I advanced it. My appointments were adjusted an hour (recurring at 4:00 says it is 3:00). I went in to edit the appointment on the phone and it says 4:00, so I saved and went back to the Home Screen (Windows Default) and it says 3:00.

I have the latest ROM (2.0.9.0) upgrade and WM5 (OS 5.1.195 build 14847.2.0.0) with it.

It's kind of frustrating, but I guess I'll have to live with it for about 2 months every year.

It's possible that the Phone part didn't get there, but I get no errors running from the links on the MS site from their notification email.

LarryKeith
03-12-2007, 05:10 PM
I installed the patch on my Blackjack when MS first released the patch. I changed the Time zone on it and then changed it back. When I got up Sunday morning and turned on my phone, the time did not change. So I am curious to see what happens in a couple of weeks when the old DST date passes.

Under Settings > Date and Time I normally have Auto update set to Off. Maybe this is why it did not update. Once I had set it to on, it got an update from the cell tower and updated the time. I have turned it back off for now.

Rocco Augusto
03-12-2007, 05:23 PM
my clock didnt change and to make matters worse, its keeps changing itself back to the old time every few hours or so :(

ricoks
03-12-2007, 05:41 PM
My blackjack keeps resorting back to the 'old' time as well.
I've changed the time twice, and it changes itself back. I was wondering if it's because I sync with 1and1 for exchange. is it possible that they don't have their system set up right? or is it Cingular that doesn't have it set up right and IT keeps updating the clock back??? UUgghhh, Frustrating!!!

Ricoks

Kris Kumar
03-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Looks like the Blackjacks are having "The Groundhog Day" moment. :rotfl:

Smartphone Guy
03-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Once a device is patched, (if it needed one in the first place) and then the device is hard reset, my thought is that it will need to be patched again. Can anyone confirm this?

Jerry Raia
03-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Once a device is patched, (if it needed one in the first place) and then the device is hard reset, my thought is that it will need to be patched again. Can anyone confirm this?

That is correct. It only changes the registry which is volatile.

Smartphone Guy
03-13-2007, 04:02 PM
That is correct. It only changes the registry which is volatile.

That is what I was afraid of, this means this issue could be causing problems far into the future. Unless of course all of those WM6 upgrades come rolling out (wishful thinking).

Mike Temporale
03-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Regarding the 2 hour jump - here's my thoughts: You have auto update turned on for the time. So you are getting the new time from your local cell tower + you got the hour jump. Thus, 2 hours.

And for those that are seeing the time roll back every couple hours, you are being effected by the auto update as well. But the cell towers around you haven't been correctly updated.

I had a messy DST. I can't tell you what my phone did as I woke up and a couple hours later I was on a plane heading to Seattle. So I gained 1 hour, and then lost 3. :?

All in all, I'm very dissappointed in how this way handled by Microsoft.