View Full Version : Cell phones safe to use in hospitals

Pete Paxton
03-10-2007, 06:51 PM
"Most hospitals forbid the use of cell phones. Dr. David Hayes and colleagues said their tests suggest the ban is unmerited. They tested cell phones using two different technologies from different carriers, switching them on near 192 different medical devices. During 300 tests run over five months, they reported no trouble with the equipment."

I wonder if hospitals will begin to allow patients to use cells in their rooms to talk or surf?

You can read more here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070309/tc_nm/usa_cellphones_hospitals_dc_1

Mike Temporale
03-11-2007, 04:37 AM
Interesting. So it's just like phones on a plance - there's not effect on the aircraft. I imagine that they won't start to allow use of phones. It's just not the right environment when you have people trying to rest and get better sitting next to some chatty cathy who won't give it a rest.

Jerry Raia
03-11-2007, 03:33 PM
It's just not the right environment when you have people trying to rest and get better sitting next to some chatty cathy who won't give it a rest.

True but every bed still has a land line next to it.

Pete Paxton
03-12-2007, 01:06 AM
I was thinking it'd be kind of nice to be able to surf and check emails during recovery time (depending on what you're recovering from of course!)

Jerry Raia
03-12-2007, 01:10 AM
Absolutely, who wants to watch the lousy TV they always have there?

Pete Paxton
03-12-2007, 06:16 AM
Kinda ironic that you say that because I just happen to be in bed now - my wife is watching TV and I'm surfing on my Dash!

Mike Temporale
03-20-2007, 12:54 PM
It's just not the right environment when you have people trying to rest and get better sitting next to some chatty cathy who won't give it a rest.

True but every bed still has a land line next to it.

True, but doesn't the hospital charge for each call like a hotel does? Just asking because I don't really know.

Jerry Raia
03-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Hmmmm, I don't think so.

billcalle
03-20-2007, 11:53 PM
My wife had a baby last Monday via c-section. The post-operative recovery was a lot more grueling than anticipated and as a result she was in the hospital for a week. Being the supportive husband that I am, I was right by her bedside the whole time. Despite the fact that our hospital has "cellphone usage not allowed" signs posted all over the place, the nurses indicated that the policy had recently been changed and that the signage just hadn't been updated yet. I must say, I don't know how I would have survived the week without my trusty Blackjack by my side. People (mostly non-technical) were amazed that I was able to send out an email with pictures of the new baby within minutes of her delivery, but most importantly, the phone allowed me to run my life, tend to work, handle my other children, etc. If cellphones had not been allowed, it would have been an even more difficult week. Thank goodness at least this hospital decided to join the 21st century.

P.S. The hopsital does provide a phone by each bedside, and at least this hopsital does not charge for local phone calls.

Mike Temporale
03-21-2007, 04:29 AM
Congrats :!: On both the new baby and the amazing use of your Blackjack. ;)