View Full Version : BlackJack as a data modem with Fido and Rogers

timkn
03-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Hi

I'm looking at picking up an BlackJack (replacement for my SMT5600) for use on the Fido network in Toronto (I also pay the $5/month to get access to the Rogers network).

I was happy to see on an earlier post that people were using 3G BlackJacks on Rogers. I was wondering if anyone has experience with using a data modem capability of the BlackJack with my blue tooth enabled laptop? I currently use the infrared capability with my SMT5600 to get internet access on my laptop but its only dialup speed.

As part of my Fido plan I have unlimited data access. Would I be able to switch SIMs and be able to get 3G speeds as a data modem if I picked up a BlackJack?

Tim

Mike Temporale
03-07-2007, 04:48 AM
Switch SIMs? I don't see why you would need to switch SIMs. I can use my Fido SIM in the Blackjack without any problems. I haven't used the phone as a modem for my laptop. I did that a lot a year ago with my 5600 and SP5, but I haven't had the need for a while. I can't see why it wouldn't work.

timkn
03-09-2007, 07:05 PM
I just wanted to make sure that if I switch my SIM to the BlackJack that I would get 3G access and my unlimited data plan would still work.

Mike Temporale
03-10-2007, 01:52 PM
No problems here and my SIM card is about 6 years old - long before 3G was in the area. ;)

jannjann
03-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Hello, I need anyone's expertise on settings with tethering Blackjack II to my laptop.
I don't know why it still doesn't work!

After reading a bunch of other users' tips, I've set my phone's USB connection to "modem", corrected the GPRS settings to:
Connect to: The Internet
AP: internet.fido.ca
Username: fido
Password: fido

I've installed the driver, I then went to create a new network connection on my laptop, using *99***2# as phone number, I get an error 777!
What else do I need to configure??

I've called Fido tech support 3 times and they're clueless!
Can someone please outline the procedures for me step by step?
Thanks a bunch!