View Full Version : Windows Mobile Outlook and Multiple POP3 accounts

03-01-2007, 01:44 PM
I am considering purchasing an HTC type phone. On my laptop outlook I run five POP3 accounts. Different e-mail addresses, different inbound POP3 mailservers with the same outbound SMTP mail server.Can I setup multiple POP3 accounts on Windows Mobile 5 outlook on the smartphone ? And then keep the laptop and smartphone versions of outlook synchronised through Activesync - Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike Temporale
03-02-2007, 03:42 AM
Yes and no.

You can have multiple accounts without any problems. But only 1 account will sync over ActiveSync. The rest are over the air accounts. So they would use your data or wifi access to download email directly from the server and not from your machine. Does that make sense?

03-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks for input. Still a bit confused. I have one Outlook profile on my laptop with multiple POP3 email addresses. I assume Active Sync will synch this single profile with the outlook mobile profile. Practically what want I want to do is: when on the road, use Outlook mobile to receive/send mails for all the POP3 mail addresses (in a single profile) and synchronise this profile with my laptop outlook (single) profile when back at the office. Your input is appreciated.

Mike Temporale
03-02-2007, 02:07 PM
No, you're outlook profile has nothing to do with your mobile device. In ActiveSync you can turn on email sync and that will copy email from your DEFAULT inbox account only, to the device. When you view / reply to a message on the device it isn't actually sent until the next time you sync with the computer. It just sits on the mobile device until then. When you setup your accounts directly on the device you can send and receive directly off the device, but this will use data and could lead to an extra charge from your phone provider.

Mike Temporale
03-02-2007, 02:08 PM
The best way to do what you're looking for is to setup the accounts directly on the phone and use data to send/recieve and if possible use IMAP instead of POP3. Then turn off inbox sync on ActiveSync.