View Full Version : windows mobile 6 for blackjack

twangg
02-26-2007, 10:14 PM
I've been trying to find in the forum if WM6 is compatable with the blackjack. If so, can't we just download it from microsoft mobile center and then up load to our blackjack?

AdamaDBrown
02-27-2007, 12:01 AM
An OS needs to be customized for the specific hardware configuration of a given model, which is something the manufacturer has to do. There isn't any generic version of the OS, at least not one that would run on the Blackjack or any other consumer hardware.

Mike Temporale
02-27-2007, 12:03 AM
Well, it doesn't work like that. Is it compatible, most likely - yes. Can you just download it from MS and install it to your device - no. Microsoft does not sell the OS to the consumer and thus they don't make it available to the end user to download. The manufacturer and carrier need to get their hands on it and customize it for their hardware and network. So they add stuff like drivers for cellur radio, GPS, wifi, camera, etc..., graphics, and applications. Once all that's done, the carrier still has to test the OS on their network to make sure it doesn't cause any problems with their network.

All said and done, it can be a long and painful process. So far Samsung hasn't announced anything. But we're all holding out hope. 8)

twangg
02-27-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks...well as you said it's going to be a long wait...don't have too much faith in our providers....

living overseas for a while, I feel I've been spoiled and now need to adjust to reality.

zanther4
03-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Hi all-
I sent a request to Cingular about the possibility of getting a Blackjack WM6 upgrade and I received this:
===========================================
Dear Mr. [xxx]

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail Cingular Wireless regarding
your
Windows Mobile 6 software. We are happy to help you with your inquiry.

We are working with our handset manufacturers that currently supply
Windows Mobile 5 devices to possibly upgrade these devices to WM6. At
this time no decision has been made. Additional information will be
posted to
http://business.cingular.com/businesscenter/phones-devices/pocket-pc.jsp
once more information has been obtained.
==============================================

This is slightly better than a response Cingular sent to someone else a few weeks ago. They said something like 'at this time there are no plans to offer an upgrade...'

Johnny

dstrauss
03-13-2007, 08:07 PM
I just don't see the economic incentive to AT&T and Samsung to upgrade the Blackjack. My bet is on a shiny new i707 to replace the "poor old" i607 with fresh new WM6 installed - maybe even a touch screen (hope, hope). With some retailers paying you $25 to take an i607, how could they justify a WM6 upgrade?