View Full Version : Sling Media Plans Support for Windows Mobile 6

Mike Temporale
02-19-2007, 03:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.slingcommunity.com/blog/137/18617/?src=103' target='_blank'>http://www.slingcommunity.com/blog/137/18617/?src=103</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Sling Media's Dave Zatz informed SlingCommunity today that SlingPlayer Mobile will indeed be coming to Microsoft's next generation mobile platform. Rest assured at some point in the future, Slingbox owners will enjoy their home television on the latest mobile devices running Windows Mobile 6. Other details, such as which versions of the new Mobile OS will be supported and a timeline for release, are unknown"</i> <br /><br />Well, it's not really much of a surprise with this news. Sling would be shooting themselves in the foot if they decided not to support the new OS. As for what devices will be supported, it's not hard to figure out. Sling Media has always focused on devices with greater than GPRS connections. So that would mean any device that offers WiFi, HSDPA, EDGE, 3G, etc... The only problem is that Sling Mobile is tied to the device. So you need to contact their support to move your serial number to a new device. For people like me that change devices almost as often as underwear, this is nothing short of a huge pain. :?

nutzareus
02-19-2007, 07:03 PM
I could not get a decent answer from them when I told them that I am a "power user" and use multiple Windows Mobile devices. Example, this is a partial list (I know, sick) of my current inventory of devices I use, and their advantage:

1. Cingular Blackjack (3G-capability at work and during 45-minute commute. While I don't condone watching TV while driving, this is cool when mounted to windshield!)
2. T-Mobile Dash (Wi-Fi at home, no 3G coverage yet at home.)
3. Dell Axim x51v (Best playback quality at work compared to previous devices, not to mention a DOCKING CRADLE. I am not allowed to install SlingPlayer on my work PC, but it works via ActiveSync!)

I had told them that since the Slingbox can only support ONE remote client at a time, why should I fork over $90 for three devices when the PC desktop version is free??? Am I not getting the picture here?