View Full Version : Would You Pay More for a Device - If it Offered an OS Upgrade?

Mike Temporale
02-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Mauricio has posted a nice rant over at <a href="http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/2276">GeekZone</a> about the upgradability (is that even a word?) of our devices. He brings up a lot of good points, and as we are all aware, the operators don't seem to like to go down the upgrade path. This brings up an interesting thought that I've had tumbling around in my head while I was on vacation last week. I would gladly pay a premium for a device if I was assured that it would get at least 1 OS upgrade. Would you? Here’s a hypothetical situation for you. Think about it and vote Yes or No in the poll. Be sure to share your thoughts on it in the forums too.<br /><br />Let’s say you could buy a Windows Mobile Smartphone that had all the bells and whistles you could ask for. In fact it was more than the average device on the market. Let’s say it’s 128/256MB RAM/ROM, with Bluetooth 2.0, a 2 MP camera, WiFi, and Quad-Band radio with 3G. From a hardware view, it’s the best of the BlackJack and the Excalibur. In fact, it’s better than those devices. Let’s say that this device would sell for $599 – no contract, no carrier. That price is a little more than what you would expect, but then again, this is a bleeding edge device and along with that price comes at least 1 OS upgrade at a cost of $40 when it’s released. The real advantage here is that the user doesn’t have to part ways with their device every year or so, and the manufacturer can still make a little money off the upgrades so they don’t feel like they are forced into anything. If they can manage 2 or 3 OS upgrades, then everyone is happy. I would buy a device like this in an instant. What do you think?

dstrauss
02-15-2007, 08:11 PM
I voted Yes on the assumption it would be a real OS upgrade, and not just a .1 or .2 in the disguise of a new name.

freitasm
02-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Same here. I voted yes for a real thing, not an AKU.

kerrins
02-15-2007, 08:33 PM
I tend to think of my mobile device just like a computer. I expect to be able to upgrade to a new OS and I expect to be able to download third party applications. I know that my first PC was a whopping 33Mhz, and 64M of memory. Most Mobiles do better than that, and even back then I could upgrade the OS on my PC.

Rocco Augusto
02-15-2007, 09:50 PM
i understand things work a little bit different with Standard phones (I'll never get use to calling them that :() but if I could pay a little bit extra knowing that the carrier would program an upgrade for my brand spanking new device, I would happily do so.

if I would have known that WM6 would have been released this soon I would have passed up the Blackjack completely and would have waited for a WM6 device. That way I would have at least gotten 6 months out of it before the next latest and greatest thing came out :(

Mike Temporale
02-15-2007, 10:22 PM
i understand things work a little bit different with Standard phones (I'll never get use to calling them that :() but if I could pay a little bit extra knowing that the carrier would program an upgrade for my brand spanking new device, I would happily do so.

No, no, no. No carrier. Think i-mate type company. There's no tie to the operator, so there's no 4 - 6 months of testing.

And for the record, I was thinking of full version releases. Although, I would pay less - say $10, for an AKU update.

KiLLiN-TiMe
02-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Maybe I am stupid for thinking this way....

But I voted no.

Here's why.

A vender who continues to push his device to it's limitations (providing updates until his device will no longer support them) is going to sell more devices of that form factor than those who don't.

So, should I have to pay extra so that the manufacture can sell "X" number of units more? I think not.

I believe it is in the best interest of the manufacture to try and make his product viable for as long as possible. Now... it that helps me, as an early adopter, see a product that has a much longer life span. It helps them by reducing production cost and have more users on the same form factor.

Honestly I believe this is what the manufactures are after now. The problem is that the market is so cut throat that as soon as someone has an edge… they are sending it to market.

How do you make a device that will stand up to that?

IMHO
KT

Rocco Augusto
02-15-2007, 11:45 PM

No, no, no. No carrier. Think i-mate type company. There's no tie to the operator, so there's no 4 - 6 months of testing.

And for the record, I was thinking of full version releases. Although, I would pay less - say $10, for an AKU update.

id still pay for it. :)

Sven Johannsen
02-15-2007, 11:53 PM
Well, I'm surprised at the results so far, 4-1 for paying more. Guess that's why I'm an engineer instead of in marketing, I don't understand people. I voted no. At least the way it is worded. I see no reason to pay more for the privelege of buying an upgrade. Tell me I will get an upgrade when it comes out and I might pick that model over another that doesn't have that commitment, even for a little more money. I think though, if you are going to charge me extra for the promise of an upgrade, the upgrade should be a given, not an option for purchase.

What if I don't want the upgrade guarantee. I plan to get a new device when the new OS comes out. Do I get a discount on the current one?

For phone systems, I've always wondered why Carriers dodn't consider offerring an OS upgrade with a service commitment. It's obvious service is what they are selling, they subsidize the heck out of hardware to entice us. I would think they could retain customers, with less outlay.

Jerry Raia
02-16-2007, 12:55 AM
I voted no. I've gotten to the point where the new devices are always so compelling, I'd rather just get a new device.

Kris Kumar
02-16-2007, 03:37 AM
I voted No. Here are my reasons:

- at $599 or the full retail price and buying the unit directly from the manufacturer, I expect to get a FREE upgrade IF the new OS comes within 6 months (or maybe even 12 months) of my purchase. Similar to what some software vendors do with updates.

- I wouldn't mind paying $30-$40 to the carrier when I buy a subsidized phone and want to upgrade, but only at the time of upgrade, not as an insurance. If I am going to pay it upfront for a possible future upgrade, it has to be $20.

dcharti
02-16-2007, 06:05 AM
Excuse me, but this very question is BS. I'd vote NO a million times if I could. The carriers have already screwed the market into paying exorbiant prices just to get new devices that they themselves are rendering obsolete every other week, and now people are *willing* to pay *extra* just for new software on a phone?

I can upgrade the software on a Windows box. I can upgrade the OS on my Macs. I can upgrade the software on my iPod and any other digital music player out there. Open hardware and closed systems alike are software upgradeable - any arguments on this front are a joke.

Microsoft and *every carrier* can upgrade the software on their phones - period. Please, stop blindly walking into their pockets and *inviting* them to stick it to us even more.

Mike Temporale
02-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Interesting comments on this from both sides.

Every device sold today is technically upgradable. It's always been that way. That doesn't mean that the device can actually handle the new OS when it ships, or that the carrier will release it. So the idea behind this, is that you are buying hardware that's designed to handle more than the current specs so that it will handle what comes down the pipe.

The carriers are not about to give the upgrade out for free - that's a very rare situation because it costs them time and money to customize the builds and support everyone who attempts this and has problems.

The object of this is not to put more money into the carriers pocket. In fact the carrier gets nothing out of this setup at all - other than your ongoing monthly service plan.

at $599 or the full retail price and buying the unit directly from the manufacturer, I expect to get a FREE upgrade IF the new OS comes within 6 months (or maybe even 12 months) of my purchase. Similar to what some software vendors do with updates.

Fair enough, and that could be something that would be worked into the business model. The same way some software vendors will offer a free upgrade inside of x months of release.

Sven Johannsen
02-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Every device sold today is technically upgradable. It's always been that way. Just a historical note. The original Jornada, did not have a flashable ROM and was not upgradeable, something that helped establish the original iPAQ as the device to own.
The carriers are not about to give the upgrade out for free - that's a very rare situation because it costs them time and money to customize the builds and support everyone who attempts this and has problems. Another interesting note. I think there is only one device that has ever been sold with two OSs. Their Dell X5 came out with PPC2002 on it, and later models of the same unit sold with PPC2003. They did offer an upgrade. The point is that this was the only time the developement costs could actually be spread across new unit sales, not just over existing user upgrades.
the carrier gets nothing out of this setup at all - other than your ongoing monthly service plan. But that is what they are actually after.

Mike Temporale
02-18-2007, 04:41 AM
Just a historical note. The original Jornada, did not have a flashable ROM and was not upgradeable, something that helped establish the original iPAQ as the device to own.

Ah, sorry. I was only really thinking of Smartphones. I didn't get into Pocket PC's until the iPAQ 3160 was released. Not counting my Casio organizer, it was my first real PDA.

Another interesting note. I think there is only one device that has ever been sold with two OSs. Their Dell X5 came out with PPC2002 on it, and later models of the same unit sold with PPC2003. They did offer an upgrade. The point is that this was the only time the developement costs could actually be spread across new unit sales, not just over existing user upgrades.

Actually, the Samsung i600 (on Sprint and Verizon) also falls into this category. It was released with 2002, and then upgrade to 2003 and then released by the other carrier. It is also the only Smartphone that has ever seen a version upgrade.

Sven Johannsen
02-19-2007, 06:12 AM
Actually, the Samsung i600 (on Sprint and Verizon) also falls into this category. It was released with 2002, and then upgrade to 2003 and then released by the other carrier. It is also the only Smartphone that has ever seen a version upgrade.
Hmm, interesting. I've always been more of a PPC guy and didn't know that.

Mike Temporale
02-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Hmm, interesting. I've always been more of a PPC guy and didn't know that.

Well then we'll have to change that. ;)

You know, I can let you borrow one of my devices while we're at the summit next month and you can see what you're missing. These ain't like your MPx220. :lol:

Jerry Raia
02-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Seems us Standard guys have it over the Professional guys. 8)

Sven Johannsen
02-20-2007, 12:46 AM
You know, I can let you borrow one of my devices while we're at the summit next month and you can see what you're missing. These ain't like your MPx220. :lol:
I have a SMT5600, and SP5, as well as the MPX220 I'll have you know. Currently been using a Smartflip, even have some music on a 2G microSD in it and BT headphones. I'm just more comfortable viewing and navigating with a bigger touch screen.

Mike Temporale
02-20-2007, 02:20 AM
Fair enough. The SmartFlip is a nice phone. I wish they would make a flip phone with a landscape screen. It considerable changes the feel of a device. :)

promano
02-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Pay a PREMIUM for a device if promised an OS Upgrade ? NO, NO, NO.
I'd rather pay for the upgrade.

Sorry but I look at it like this.
A Smartphone is an appliance just like a PDA, a PC, or an MP3 Player.
They are all individual and they are all combined.
You can get an OS upgrade for the PC and the PDA just by PURCHASING the upgrade and installing it.
You can upgrade the OS (firmware) on an MP3 player usually for FREE.

The price of these appliances is NOT dependant on whether you will
or won't take advantage of an OS upgrade.
Those who choose to upgrade will upgrade, while those that are
happy with the way their appliance is working will use it just the way it is.

If I want to upgrade my OS, I should be able to do it.
I don't need anyone's permission to do it either, in ANY of these cases.

PantherShade
02-21-2007, 05:29 PM
My answer wasn't really on your list, but the closest was: "Yes."

I would pay more for a mobile that was UPGRADEABLE.

There's a key difference there. I don't want a company to promise to upgrade me once. I want to be able to consistently upgrade my mobile to whatever new OS or patch is out there, on demand.

For that, I'd pay a little more, but I'm actually disappointed that I don't already have that capability now with the price I've already paid.

Patches should be free and routine, but I can understand charging for a new version.

Succinctly put, it should be like a tiny PC. 8O

Sven Johannsen
02-22-2007, 07:23 AM
I would pay more for a mobile that was UPGRADEABLE.
Dude, you already got that. Every device that save a few of the earliest ones is technically upgradeable. It requires only that the ROM be flashable, the new OS fit, and the OEM update the drivers. I don't think we have seen one where the new OS wouldn't fit, at least once, though some have been tight. The problem was the OEM incentive to do the work.

You have the same issue on desktops, IMHO. If you bought a pretty standard PC 2-3 years ago, it is probably technically upgradeable to Vista, but you might not be pleased with the performance or supported features. But that is your business. If you bought the PC from Dell, and an upgrade from MS, who guarantees they work together well. Neither company.

MS doesn't sell you a new SP OS, you have to get it from the OEM, and if you do, you will expect it to work right. Part of it is they don't want to guarantee that without sinking some effort into developement and testing, and the support channel. They want a return on that investment. Hard to say if they'd realize that.

PantherShade
02-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Dude, you already got that. Every device that save a few of the earliest ones is technically upgradeable. It requires only....

I think that you missed my point. The phones themselves can handle the upgrades, yes. However, the manufacturers won't be upgrading anything.

For example, I have a Cingular 3125 that I'd be happy to upgrade to the newer versions of Windows Mobile as they were released. But, that just isn't happening, nor is it going to happen. So, it's not really upgradeable, and I'm stuck with WM5.