View Full Version : Why Windows Mobile 6 Standard Devices Still Need Documents to Go

Jerry Raia
02-15-2007, 03:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.jeffkirvin.net/2007/02/13/why-windows-mobile-6-standard-devices-still-need-documents-to-go/' target='_blank'>http://www.jeffkirvin.net/2007/02/13/why-windows-mobile-6-standard-devices-still-need-documents-to-go/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"...nearly seven years later, the tables have turned. Now Documents To Go 9.0 allows full document creation on Windows Mobile Standard/Smartphone devices, while Microsoft’s own Office Mobile requires the same lame template work around that Documents To Go used on the Palm back before the internet bubble burst. You heard me right. Despite all the trumpeting of how great it is that Office Mobile now exists across all Windows Mobile devices, Windows Mobile Standard devices still can’t create new documents."</i><br /><br />I had to read this a couple times and rub my eyes. Office Mobile in Standard (please help me) devices will not create new documents! Between Vista's less than smooth launch and WMDC pathetic lack of improvement over ActiveSync, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

aussienick
02-15-2007, 03:41 AM
Yep, it is a huge shame that WM6 Standard will not allow you to create Office documents, yet it will let you edit them (to some degree). It is at least a step in the right direction and hopefully we can create new documents from WM7 Standard. It would be interesting to see if WM6 Professional worked on Smartphone devices (without the touch screen functionality ofcourse)

Pete Paxton
02-15-2007, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the info Jerry. I just ordered Docs to go.

Jeff Kirvin
02-15-2007, 05:19 AM
Yep, it is a huge shame that WM6 Standard will not allow you to create Office documents, yet it will let you edit them (to some degree). It is at least a step in the right direction and hopefully we can create new documents from WM7 Standard. It would be interesting to see if WM6 Professional worked on Smartphone devices (without the touch screen functionality ofcourse)
The maddening bit is that this kind of lame "just sync blank documents and then save as..." crap was DTG's line seven gorram years ago on Palm OS! Isn't Windows Mobile supposed to be, well, more advanced than that?

I would dearly love to get an HTC Libra or Moto Q9 for my next device, but as a writer I have to be able to create new documents on the go. That means I'm stuck with larger, more expensive and more delicate Windows Mobile Professional devices. Feh!

bnycastro
02-15-2007, 06:41 AM
This is really odd... why enable viewing and editing only and but not full creation?

Mike Temporale
02-15-2007, 01:40 PM
I wish I could understand why Microsoft decided that creating a document was something that "standard" users would not want to do. I guess you need to be "professional" to create. :roll:

woa1
02-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Another issue I have had with Office Mobile since WinMobile 5 (even on PPCs) is that Mobile Excel can't open password protected xls files anymore. This is something DocsToGo states they can do.

Jerry Raia
02-15-2007, 04:33 PM
OK but what if one is a Professional Standard user? :P

Bittermormon
02-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Maybe it should be called windows mobile Sub-standard.

Its too bad, I love my Gash, and I was looking forward to upgrading if those rumors are true, but you guys kind of burst my bubble. :(

Janak Parekh
02-15-2007, 07:08 PM
I wish I could understand why Microsoft decided that creating a document was something that "standard" users would not want to do. I guess you need to be "professional" to create. :roll:
Probably because if you could, then users would demand file sync, and of course Microsoft has deemed we can't have that. :|

--janak

scottb
02-16-2007, 03:47 AM
OK but what if one is a Professional Standard user? :P

I would consider myself more of a Standard Professional user. :roll:

Jerry Raia
02-16-2007, 04:14 AM
A very important distinction there too! :lol:

ricksfiona
02-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Wow, that was one of my biggest reasons to go WM6. To create word docs... What a shame.

Mike Temporale
02-21-2007, 02:32 AM
I've posted details on a workaround for this. You can read about it over here. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,13611)

Jeff Kirvin
02-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Yup, the same workaround we used seven years ago for Docs To Go 3 on the Palm. The fact that we can work around around this doesn't make it any less inexcusable on Microsoft's part.

The reasoning for this is pretty obviously embedded in Microsoft's paradigm for Windows Mobile Standard devices. It simply doesn't occur to them that a significant portion of Smartphone users will use their device as a mobile computer in its own right. The typical user pattern for Smartphones, according to Microsoft, is "email triage." They expect Smartphone users to download documents from others, make minor changes, and send them back. Or keep things for reference. They don't expect people to dynamically create new content on the phone.

Which is why as much as the Q9 or the Dash might be droolworthy, as a professional writer I have to stick with a Windows Mobile Professional device. The HTC Libra would be perfect for me if only it could quickly and easily create new content, then sync it to my PC later. But this isn't possible because of Microsoft's own limitations.

Feh.

bvprod
04-15-2007, 11:46 PM
there is a work-around for creating new documents... by basically making a template .dot on your pc and then transfering it to your mobile... then open and edit and save as whenever you want to make a new one... i will try to find a link

best,

brett

Mike Temporale
04-19-2007, 02:11 AM
there is a work-around for creating new documents... by basically making a template .dot on your pc and then transfering it to your mobile... then open and edit and save as whenever you want to make a new one... i will try to find a link

best,

brett

No worries, here's the link http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,13611

And just to clarify, you don't want to create a .DOT file. You need to create a .DOC file and mark it as read only. The reason is that when you save the document on the Smartphone it will save it as the same file type as what you opened. Which means if you use a .DOT and then try to open it on your desktop, you will be opening a new template and not be able to resave.