View Full Version : Microsoft Released Daylight Savings Patch for Windows Mobile

Mike Temporale
02-14-2007, 05:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/daylightsaving/default.mspx' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/daylightsaving/default.mspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Congress has changed the dates for Daylight Saving Time (DST) in the United States starting in 2007. Canada has adopted similar DST dates. These changes could cause clocks and Microsoft Outlook calendar appointments on Windows Mobile-powered devices to display incorrect times for March 11 – April 1, 2007 and October 28 – November 4, 2007 and again in subsequent years. You can find more information about the exact dates and potential impact in the Changes in DST section. You can prevent these problems by installing three Microsoft files on your device and/or PC"</i> <br /><br />Microsoft has just released an update for the changes coming to Daylight Savings Time. If you live in the US, Canada or Mexico, you'll need to head on over to this site and follow all the steps required to update your device, computer, and even Exchange. If you're running the latest and greatest then there is a chance that this won't affect you. Take the time and do this now before it's too late. You'll also want to test out the change when you have a chance. If you know of friends, family, or co-workers that use Windows Mobile and might not read this site (shocking, I know!), please pass this information along as soon as possible to avoid any problems.<br /><br />My thoughts on all of this - I'm very disappointed in the way Microsoft has handled this change. We’ve all known about this for a long time now. There’s no reason for taking so long to release a patch. There is under 1 month to go before Daylight Savings kicks in and they’ve just now released the patch. That doesn’t leave much time for enterprise to test and deploy this patch to their work force. Especially if the work force is mobile most of the time. :evil:

das451
02-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Other than calenders, how critical is this patch? Will not having it interfere with authentication or any other application patches?

scottb
02-21-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm interested in anyone's experience installing this patch on yourWM5 Smartphone. All my appointments between 3-11-07 and 4-1-07 were off by one hour after inatlling the patch. Some of these are recurring items, but only the ones in that window of time were off. Anyone else see this?

ctmagnus
02-21-2007, 11:15 PM
I have/had the same issue.

Oddly enough, appointments that occur after the 4/1 original time change date aren't affected.

And it looks like it's only on the desktop end that this is the case - appointments on my device are still the same as they were before.

scottb
02-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Mine were off on both my Smartphone device and on the Exchange server (I don't sync with a PC). I've since fixed them, but it doesn't seem to be a very extensively tested patch.

perfyct
02-26-2007, 05:35 AM
I tried installing the patch but got the "cannot install, unsigned application" error (samsung sch-i600, Verizon). However, after going to a Verizon store (where they didn't even know about the DST change) I was redirected to Verizon customer care who promptly redirected me back to the Verizon store. Umm... What gives? Anybody know the official word here?

scottb
02-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Mine were off on both my Smartphone device and on the Exchange server (I don't sync with a PC). I've since fixed them, but it doesn't seem to be a very extensively tested patch.

I installed the patch on my Wife's Q last night--appointments were not off by one hour. 8O
Go figure...

Kris Kumar
03-06-2007, 12:58 AM
Dash users should read this post on T-Mobile's site:
http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase/root/public/tm23412.htm#3

It seems like Dash is ready for the Daylight switch. I am planning to wait and see what happens.

yefm
03-06-2007, 02:12 AM
I have Cingular 2125 with WM5 (updated with DST patch) and Vista with Outlook 2007. Here is what I found when entering appts on PC and syncing...
Appts until 3/11 - OFF BY 1 HR on WM5
Appts after 3/11 - OK
Appts after DST goes off - OK

Apptms entered this week on phone are OK when synced to Outlook.

When I chg apmt on phone and resync - it stays OK on PC, now everything is fine.

So I guess I have to manually chg all apptmts on Phone till this weekend.

zx6guy
03-11-2007, 08:58 PM
I installed the patch and it did nothing. All my appts are still off an hour. I'm sorry to rant people but this has been handled so poorly by the carriers and especially M$. It looks like my only option is to manually change the times. So sad, so sad.

Kris Kumar
03-12-2007, 01:19 AM
I hope you followed the strict instructions provided under the label "For Windows Mobile users who connect to a PC."

Luckily for me, I sync to a corporate Exchange server and the Dash had the update so it was zero hassle for me; and unfortunately that means I am of zero help for anyone who has problem. :(

zeke009
03-12-2007, 07:53 PM
This patch and the Outlook patch worked perfectly!

Kris Kumar
03-12-2007, 11:25 PM
This patch and the Outlook patch worked perfectly!

Oh my gosh! This was not supposed to happen. :rotfl: Not according to folks in this thread. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13771)