View Full Version : Microsoft Unveils Windows Mobile 6

Jason Dunn
02-08-2007, 01:30 AM
Breaking all-new ground in the realm of worst-kept secret ever, Windows Mobile 6 (a.k.a. "Crossbow") has been officially announced by Microsoft. It's a bit earlier than 3GSM, which is where they were going to announce it originally. As such, there's nothing official to link to yet, nor do I have a swanky article all about Windows Mobile 6 because I'm waiting to get a device running the beta back from Microsoft (it's a long story).Some of the highlights include:• Full support for HTML email (within the limitations of IE Mobile's rendering engine of course)• Office Mobile now included, with support for reading and editing Office documents on the Smartphone• New streamlined functioning of email client: one click delete, reply, etc. Set email flags for follow-up.• Set "Out of Office" function directly on the device (with an Exchange server of course)• Windows Vista synchronization with Windows Mobile Device Center• Calendar ribbon in the calendar application gives you the ability to see your free/busy time easier• Windows Live client• Call History is now a part of the contact itself, so you can see when you last phoned that person, etc.• Internet sharing: there's a new built-in application to make using your device as a modem much easierAs per usual, this latest version of Windows Mobile is about more than just bullet points: there's a lot of background ("plumbing" work) to enable new and better devices. I've had some limited experience with Windows Mobile 6, and it's a solid step forward for the platform. There's nothing particularly amazing about it, but just like Windows Mobile 5 the total number improvements make for a better overall device. I know they've spent a lot of time improving the performance and stability of the operating system in general (which was already quite good in my opinion), but the real test will be the devices.Everyone is wondering about upgrades I'm sure, but just like last time, it's too early to say what each of the OEMs are going to be doing - but stay tuned here for the official information as we get it!

Rocco Augusto
02-08-2007, 02:01 AM
I thought I saw a few images floating around that showed a "Windows Update" option in the start menu. Personally, out of all the updates, I hope that makes it in to WM6 Standard :)

Tim Williamson
02-08-2007, 02:10 AM
So does Office Mobile = File sync for Smartphone?

Jason Dunn
02-08-2007, 04:30 AM

Don't quote me on this, but no, I don't think it does. :?

Pete Paxton
02-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Sounds like Windows Mobile 6 will be a T-mobile exclusive for a while. Wonder if my Dash will be upgradable? Here's the story:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/02/08/microsoft-says-wm6-coming-to-t-mobile-in-q2/

Jason Dunn
02-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Sounds like Windows Mobile 6 will be a T-mobile exclusive for a while. Wonder if my Dash will be upgradable?

Don't hold me to this, but I'm pretty sure the Dash will be getting an upgrade from T-Mobile...

Tim Williamson
02-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Don't hold me to this, but I'm pretty sure the Dash will be getting an upgrade from T-Mobile...

QFT ;)

Even if T-Mobile began selling WM6 Dash's doesn't mean they would offer an upgrade to existing customers, but it could mean that some l33t h4x0rs could possibly figure out a way to get it onto current Dash's. :)

Pete Paxton
02-09-2007, 03:08 AM
Wouldn't that be awesome? Does the Dash have the hardware to run WM6?

Jerry Raia
02-09-2007, 03:48 AM
Other than a few, I doubt many handsets will see an upgrade.

Jason Dunn
02-09-2007, 03:50 AM

Yup, it should run it no problem. Not that I have one yet or anything...but I've heard... ;-)

Foxbat121
02-09-2007, 04:03 AM
Maybe we should start a law suit against Cingular for mis-representing BlackJack as having Office Mobile included. Then, maybe Cingular will be forced to offer us WM6 upgrade as settlement. :)

Jerry Raia
02-09-2007, 04:04 AM

Yup, it should run it no problem. Not that I have one yet or anything...but I've heard... ;-)

Yeah so have I. :lol:

Tim Williamson
02-09-2007, 08:40 AM
Let's pretend there is a version of the Dash with WM6...would that be a good indicator that WM5 Dash's are upgradeable to WM6?

Foxbat121
02-09-2007, 01:35 PM
There should not be any changes in hardware requirement in WM6 vs WM5. Unlike changes from WM2003 to Wm5, WM6 is more a increamental and service pack to WM5.

I'd expect all current WM5 devices will have no problem running WM6. The problem is the will of device makers.

Jerry Raia
02-09-2007, 01:46 PM
The problem is the will of device makers.

and the carriers. :(

ghostppc
02-11-2007, 04:50 AM
Maybe we should start a law suit against Cingular for mis-representing BlackJack as having Office Mobile included. Then, maybe Cingular will be forced to offer us WM6 upgrade as settlement. :)

LOL! Well since they're AT&T wireless now, they'll probably claim the offending company no longer exists, and they aren't taking the blame. Hmm, no wonder they've had so many name changes! :wink:

Mike Temporale
02-12-2007, 07:31 AM

Sadly, no. There is still no file sync on the "Standard" version. :evil: