View Full Version : The letter "m" became "n", on my Samsung i320!! Help me.

glaucobg
02-05-2007, 04:10 AM
Guys, i dont know why, but the letter "m" became "n", on my Samsung i320. Even the symbol " ' " (apostrophe) located in the same key of the letter "m" (activated by pressing the key "Fn" then the key "m"), turned the damn "n". AND EVEN the number "9" (above the letter "n"), when using the "ABC" or "T9" Text Mode, became "n". Everything was fine before. I've always used the letter "m" without problem.

This happens on EVERY program i try (even the original SMS editing prog.). Tested ALL the other letters and they are OK. This happens on both "T9" and "ABC" text modes. Tryed some other T9 languages, reseted the phone many times, and nothing happend.

I installed/uninstalled many trials during the afternoon, and i noticed this "error" by the night. Maybe some program did this. Is there a log file in MS ActiveSync or in the phone where i can see what programs i have installed today?

Does anybody know how can i solve this?

Meanwhile, i'll have to change words when writing my SMS messages, to avoid the letter "m". :?

Mike Temporale
02-05-2007, 05:28 AM
First thing to try is power down and restart the phone.

It sounds to me like it might be thinking it's using a different keyboard. A reboot might fix that. Otherwise you could look around the registry, but I'm not 100% on what the correct value should be for the i320 - and I don't have mine any more. :?

I found this in a registry dump that I ran on my old i320 - not sure if it will help any:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\KEYBD]
"DriverName"="pxa27x_keypad_Us.dll"

glaucobg
02-05-2007, 04:31 PM
First thing to try is power down and restart the phone.

I did this many times, and nothing happend.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\KEYBD]
"DriverName"="pxa27x_keypad_Us.dll"

This registry entry, on my phone, is exactly the same.

Now i'm going to follow your instructions and take an extra look around the registry.

Thanks.

Jerry Raia
02-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Maybe a hard reset is in order. :(

glaucobg
02-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Maybe a hard reset is in order. :(

Yeah, as i didnt find a way to solve this question i made a backup of my programs and did a hard reset. After that, everything was fine and the "m" key returned to be itself! :lol:

Then i tried to restore the backup to see if the "m" key would be ok. No way, the error was restored too.

So i had no other option, but to hard reset and reinstall all my stuff. Now i'm finishing to reinstall my progs and everything seems to be fine.

Anyway, Thank you guys.

Jerry Raia
02-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Glad you got it back to normal. I wonder what messed it up in the first place though. :?

anonymous99
02-13-2007, 04:39 AM
Only solution is get your files copied and then hard reset, reinstall your programs, and manually recover the contacts...

Best practice is always keep some healthy backups handy, incase something happens like this one. :twisted: