View Full Version : Daylight Saving Time - Windows Mobile Fix

Kris Kumar
02-02-2007, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.edgeblog.net/2007/daylight-saving-time-windows-mobile-fix/' target='_blank'>http://www.edgeblog.net/2007/daylight-saving-time-windows-mobile-fix/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"As discussed <a href="http://www.edgeblog.net/2007/daylight-saving-time-the-year-2007-problem">here,</a> the Daylight Saving Time change for 2007 is going to cause problems for unpatched technologies. Most vendors, including Microsoft, have released patches. One big area that is lacking is Windows Mobile smartphones &amp; PDAs. Microsoft release a registry fix and instructed the carriers to push out a patch. Most of the carriers, in their infinite wisdom, have neglected to do so. If you rely on your Windows smartphone, you need this fix. Microsoft published the registry fix here. This fix requires you to build a CAB file and then install it. To save you the trouble, I have bundled the CAB file for you."</i><br /><br />I know that <a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12719">some of you</a> would love to see this DST madness go away, but unfortunately for you folks (and painfully for the rest of us) the time change will happen four weeks early. Microsoft has been kind enough to provide <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923953">a fix,</a> a fix that is supposed to improve your CAB file building skills. :? In case you are wondering what it takes to build a CAB file, stop, Bill over at <i>edgeblog</i> has done the necessary labour for us; thanks Bill.

Jerry Raia
02-02-2007, 05:10 PM
I'll take this opportunity to rant about it again! The best fix for this primitive pagan ritual is to eliminate it! :twisted:

chucky.egg
02-02-2007, 06:01 PM
No offence to the Americans, but how is changing the time that the gas-guzzling SUVs hit the Freeway going to help with energy consumption?

Maybe Bush thought that if they're on the road an hour earlier, only half awake and in the dark, they won't notice the temperature going up?

Jerry Raia
02-02-2007, 06:05 PM
No offence to the Americans, but how is changing the time that the gas-guzzling SUVs hit the Freeway going to help with energy consumption?

None taken, this is one of the dumbest things we do here.

Mark Kenepp
02-02-2007, 06:43 PM

Maybe Bush thought that if they're on the road an hour earlier, only half awake and in the dark, they won't notice the temperature going up?

Making more energy efficient vehicles would probably be a much better way to save energy.

A explanation of DST can be found here (http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/).

Cattle-Dog
02-02-2007, 07:55 PM
The theory is, that making better use of natural light helps reduce overall demand.

In addition, the Energy Policy Act of 2005 was not solely about time zone alterations in 2007. Here are the major highlights:

• Provides a Commercial Building Tax Deduction for energy efficient building improvements;
• Provides a tax credit of up to $3,400 for owners of hybrid vehicles;
• Provides for $1.65 billion in tax credits for clean coal projects;
• Authorizes loan guarantees for "innovative technologies" that avoid greenhouse gases;
• Increases the amount of biofuel (usually ethanol) that must be mixed with gasoline sold in the United States to triple the current requirement (7.5 billion gallons by 2012);
• Seeks to increase coal as an energy source while also reducing air pollution, through authorizing $200 million annually for clean coal initiatives, repealing the current 160-acre cap on coal leases, allowing the advanced payment of royalties from coal mines and requiring an assessment of coal resources on federal lands that are not national parks;
• Authorizes subsidies for wind energy, and other alternative energy producers;
• Adds ocean energy sources including wave power and tidal power for the first time as separately identified renewable technologies;
• Authorizes $50 million annually over the life of the bill for a biomass grant program;
• Contains several provisions aimed at making geothermal energy more competitive with fossil fuels in generating electricity;
• Requires the U.S. Department of Energy to study and report on existing natural energy resources including wind, solar, waves and tides;
• Requires the U.S. Department of Energy to study and report on national benefits of demand response and make a recommendation on achieving specific levels of benefits and encourages time-based pricing and other forms of demand response as a policy decision;
• Provides tax breaks for those making energy conservation improvements to their homes;
• Provides incentives to companies drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico
• Extends Daylight Saving Time by approximately four weeks;
• Requires that no drilling for gas or oil may be done in or underneath the Great Lakes;
• Requires that Federal Fleet vehicles capable of operating on alternative fuels be operated on these fuels exclusively;
• Sets federal reliability standards regulating the electrical grid;
• Extends the Price-Anderson Nuclear Industries Indemnity Act through 2025;
• Authorizes cost-overrun support of up to $2 billion total for up to six new nuclear power plants;
• Authorizes a production tax credit of up to $125 million total per year, estimated at 1.8 US¢/kWh during the first eight years of operation for the first 6.000 MW of capacity;
• Authorizes $1.25 billion for the Department of Energy to build a nuclear reactor to generate both electricity and hydrogen;
• Allows nuclear plant employees and certain contractors to carry firearms;
• Prohibits the sale, export or transfer of nuclear materials and "sensitive nuclear technology" to any state sponsor of terrorist activities;
• Updates tax treatment of decommissioning funds;
• A provision for the Department of Energy to report in one year on how to dispose of high-level nuclear waste;

Jerry Raia
02-02-2007, 08:00 PM
This is America, I doubt any of that actually ever happened or will happen. Just more government hot gas.

Mark Kenepp
02-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Just more government hot gas.

Now if someone could figure out how to run a car on that, our energy problems would be solved! :lol:

Mike Temporale
02-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Is anyone else kind of let down by the fact that it's so late in the game and the best Microsoft has been able to come out with is instructions on how to modify your device? Shouldn't they have had a CAB file available and passed around to everyone and their brother long before now?

Seems Microsoft is getting slower as time goes on. I'm disappointed myself.

Jerry Raia
02-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Is anyone else kind of let down by the fact that it's so late in the game and the best Microsoft has been able to come out with is instructions on how to modify your device? Shouldn't they have had a CAB file available and passed around to everyone and their brother long before now?

Seems Microsoft is getting slower as time goes on. I'm disappointed myself.

No question about that. Unless one reads this site (who doesn't?) one might not even know about this. Even then all that was offered was "make this into a cab file". :lol:

Kris Kumar
02-03-2007, 05:06 AM
Come on people; Microsoft decided that instead of making their products smarter, it is easier to make the users of their products smarter. :lol:

This whole make a CAB file thing is just a small challenge for us users.

I don't know why Microsoft wants the OEM builders to provide this DST fix as a CAB instead of putting out one themselves. Is there something that the OEMs are supposed to add. I don't think so. :?