View Full Version : Microsoft Releases Windows Mobile Device Center for Windows Vista

Mike Temporale
02-01-2007, 02:44 PM
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/Temporale-20070201-WMDC.jpg

Following closely on the release of Windows Vista, Microsoft has just released Windows Mobile Device Center. WMDC (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devicecenter.mspx) is a required component if you plan on syncing your Windows Mobile 2003 or Windows Mobile 5 device with Vista. There are 2 versions available (one for 32-bit (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=83d513ea-9df9-4920-af33-3a0e2e4e7beb&DisplayLang=en) and the other for 64-bit (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6eb8d0aa-bc6b-4864-8ffe-dc26e1d9f843&DisplayLang=en) systems) and it requires validation using the Windows Genuine Advantage system. If you’re running Vista, you’ll want this update. ;)

JohnJohn
02-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Excited...the beta did not work for me, my BlackJack never completely synched. Trying it with this release right now. <fingers crossed>

EDIT: Nope, still getting errors on a fully reset Blackjack

"Sync failed with WM BlackJack"

"There is not enough free memory on your device to synchronize information. Close programs that are run"

Brandonjg
02-01-2007, 05:12 PM
looks like its still Beta to me.

Your link takes me to
"Windows Mobile Device Center (Beta 3 Release) for Windows Vista RC1"
I've been running a Beta release of WMDC in Vista RTM since mid december. Don't remember if it was Beta 3 or not. The build number of my installed WMDC is 6526. I wonder if this one is any newer. My Moto Q seems to work well with it the majority of the time.

Foxbat121
02-01-2007, 05:51 PM
looks like its still Beta to me.

Your link takes me to
"Windows Mobile Device Center (Beta 3 Release) for Windows Vista RC1"
I've been running a Beta release of WMDC in Vista RTM since mid december. Don't remember if it was Beta 3 or not. The build number of my installed WMDC is 6526. I wonder if this one is any newer. My Moto Q seems to work well with it the majority of the time.

Use the link on 32-bit or 64-bit which will take you directly to the new downloads published 1/31/07.

Brandonjg
02-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Use the link on 32-bit or 64-bit which will take you directly to the new downloads published 1/31/07.

I used the 32 bit link. Looks like that link has since been updated. Now its taking me direct to the download page. This is the link that was there before:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devicecenter.mspx

Jerry Raia
02-01-2007, 06:08 PM
As far as I can tell this is just Active Stink in a new suit. I can't sync my BlackJack either.

Foxbat121
02-01-2007, 06:10 PM
EDIT: Nope, still getting errors on a fully reset Blackjack

"Sync failed with WM BlackJack"

"There is not enough free memory on your device to synchronize information. Close programs that are run"

Your issue is obvious: you need free up more memory on your phone. It has nothing to do with WMDC.

My BlackJack sync just fine. With old Beta WMDC, I need to plug/unplug multiple times before WMDC can successfully detect the phone to complete the sync.

Just applied the new WMDC and it sync right away successfully in the first try.

Foxbat121
02-01-2007, 06:19 PM
BTW, the new WMDC version is 6.0.6783. So far so good. Tried connect my BlackJack couple times and it syncs quickly without issues.

The installation of new WMDC will remove the old beta software first. After installation you need to setup new partnership again.

Although you can name your partnership in WMDC whatever you want, it still overwrites your device with a generic name (I got 'WINDOWSMOBILE54' this time). To check your device name on BlackJack, go to settings->connection->Bluetooth->My Information Setting.

Rocco Augusto
02-01-2007, 06:28 PM
As far as I can tell this is just Active Stink in a new suit. I can't sync my BlackJack either.

I was having problems syncing my phone for a while until I unblocked a slew of ports in my firewall. If you are using Live OneCare, the newer versions have an option to allow ActiveSync/WMDC connections through the firewall

Jerry Raia
02-01-2007, 06:34 PM
It is some kind of connection problem, but the only firewall is the builtin windows one. All the Windows Mobile exception boxes (allowing com) are checked. Thats not the only issue I'm having. It sees a dupicate of my device someplace but doesn't display it so I can't delete it.

So far I am not impressed. :?

Mike Temporale
02-01-2007, 07:16 PM
I've never had a problem sync'ing my BlackJack with WMDC. I'm not sure why you guys are having so many problems. The only thing special about my setup is that my laptop is only USB 1.1. Perhaps you should try connecting on a slower port? I hope that's not the case. :?

Doug Raeburn
02-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Now that I've installed this new version, I'm synching my Blackjack on my desktop with USB 2.0 ports without any problems. Prior to that, Vista kept treating the Blackjack as an MP3 player, even though it listed it as a Windows Mobile device.

Foxbat121
02-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Thats not the only issue I'm having. It sees a dupicate of my device someplace but doesn't display it so I can't delete it.

That duplicated device is the left over from beta version. I have to give mine a new device name as well.

Foxbat121
02-01-2007, 07:38 PM
I've never had a problem sync'ing my BlackJack with WMDC. I'm not sure why you guys are having so many problems. The only thing special about my setup is that my laptop is only USB 1.1. Perhaps you should try connecting on a slower port? I hope that's not the case. :?

That could be the issue with the beta WMDC. But if your PC/Laptop already have a USB 2.0 port, chances to find a USB 1.1 port is close to zero. Anyway, the official release seems solved issue for me so far.

Jerry Raia
02-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Thats not the only issue I'm having. It sees a dupicate of my device someplace but doesn't display it so I can't delete it.

That duplicated device is the left over from beta version. I have to give mine a new device name as well.

Yeah I kind of figured that. Probably buried in the registry someplace. Pretty sloppy work on MS part if you ask me. It uninstalled the beta when the release was installed. Couldn't it clean up or know to carry over? Sheesh. :roll:

Kris Kumar
02-02-2007, 01:07 AM
I will join this madness once I get my copy of Vista. I placed the order today, so sometime next week. I hope by then you guys will have answers to all the possible problems and hints & tips. :-)

Jerry Raia
02-02-2007, 01:17 AM
Well I found the leftover registry entries that MS forgot to deal with. The device name problem is solved. I can sync my 8525. My BlackJack gives a "connection not available" sync error. I'm telling you, AS in a new suit, same old smell.

JohnJohn
02-02-2007, 05:43 AM
Your issue is obvious: you need free up more memory on your phone. It has nothing to do with WMDC.

My BlackJack sync just fine. With old Beta WMDC, I need to plug/unplug multiple times before WMDC can successfully detect the phone to complete the sync.

Just applied the new WMDC and it sync right away successfully in the first try.

I doubt I am having memory issues with a fully reset Blackjack. <see previous post>

However I did cure my sync issues, turns out WMDC did not like one of my reoccurring events, deleted that and it's syncing fine now.

Guess, new Vista, Office 2007, WMDC installs and a clean Blackjack...something was bound to un-sync me. :)

onlydarksets
02-02-2007, 10:06 AM
If you get stuck on the Sync process (i.e., after the partnership is established), try unblocking the following ports:

port990: open inbound TCP
port999: open inbound TCP
port5678: open inbound TCP
port5679: open outbound UDP
port5721: open inbound TCP
port26675: open inbound TCP

The "automatic" profile in OneCare only unblocked 990, so I had to do the rest by hand. Also, wmdhost.exe should be added to the list of allowed programs. This should happen automatically as well, but it's a good place to check if you are having problems syncing.

stevew
02-04-2007, 01:56 AM
I just upgraded to Vista. I can connect but when I choose set up device WMDC stops responding.

Jerry Raia
02-04-2007, 02:00 AM
Nice they took the time to polish it up isn't it?

peterawest
02-04-2007, 03:15 PM
After following the instructions to uninstall the previous version, I installed the latest release without incident. Since I have Vista running on an older IBM ThinkPad, I decided to try syncing using the IR port, and it worked beautifully.

First it found my device, an older iPAQ 1940, then it began the sync and worked great. No problems to report.