View Full Version : Ford and Microsoft Partner on Automotive OS

Rocco Augusto
12-31-2006, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobile-tech-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=49018' target='_blank'>http://www.mobile-tech-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=49018</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The Wall Street Journal reports that Ford and Microsoft have decided to sync. At the Detroit Auto Show and the Consumer Electronics Show in January, the two firms will jointly announce Sync, an in-car navigation and infotainment system built on Microsoft's platform. Sync is designed to let drivers navigate better, download and listen to music, talk by cell phone, and even get e-mail without using their hands, according to reports. Powered by Bluetooth -- the same technology that powers wireless cell phone headsets -- Sync will debut in two Ford models, the Focus and Five Hundred series, in 2007, then expand to all Ford models in the 2008 model year. "</i><br /><br />I was going to make a joke about our cars experiencing the dreaded <i>Blue Screen of Death</i>, but then I started giving the idea some serious thought. This is actually a pretty neat concept and I personally cannot wait until one of these models are released so I can give it a test drive. There is a downside though. As everyone knows, the editors here at Smartphone Thoughts go though new Windows Mobile devices like they're going out of style and I don't think I can afford to go through cars the same way. :lol:

Kris Kumar
12-31-2006, 03:56 PM
There is a downside though. As everyone knows, the editors here at Smartphone Thoughts go though new Windows Mobile devices like they're going out of style and I don't think I can afford to go through cars the same way. :lol:

:cry:

Rocco Augusto
12-31-2006, 11:41 PM
:cry:

:lol:

Mike Temporale
01-03-2007, 03:58 AM
When I was at Mobius in 2005, we had a presentation from the automotice group - and it's actually pretty cool stuff. Windows Mobile Automotive software doesn't control the engine or anything like that. It's all about embracing and extending. So it can read from the cars computer and get the current gas level, but it can't tell the car to increase acceleration or anything like that. So don't be worried about Blue Screen's or any of that. Besides, the Blue Screen is only common in an uncontrolled environment. If the hardware and software is locked down (as in a brand new Windows Mobile Device that doesn't have any 3rd party stuff installed) then it's actually very stable.

I would love to get a WinMo car, but as Rocco said, I can't afford to get a new vehicle every 8-16 months. At least not until my lotto numbers come up! ;)

kerrins
01-04-2007, 07:14 PM
What I'm waiting for is a docking station for a tablet PC. The tablet would need to have WiFi, BT, GPS and AM/FM at a minimum (Satellite radio would be optional) . I would be able to use it to select radio stations and make phone calls through the car speakers. I could un-dock it and still listen to radio or make calls (along with pedestrian GPS). It would be able to play videos, etc. Then I wouldn't need to replace the car every 18 months, but I could afford to replace a Tablet PC on a more regular basis. I think the Tablet GUI would be a whole lot better than what exists in autos today, plus it's skinable.

Kris Kumar
01-05-2007, 03:20 AM
I use my Pocket PC in a somewhat similar fashion, but am looking forward to the UMPC or that HTC separate-keyboard-thing-a-ma-jig.