View Full Version : Windows Vista Hardware from AMD & Microsoft: Here’s My Story

Jason Dunn
12-29-2006, 09:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.jasondunn.com/windows-vista-hardware-90' target='_blank'>http://www.jasondunn.com/windows-vista-hardware-90</a><br /><br /></div><i>"There’s a big blow-up about Microsoft “bribing” bloggers, so I figured I’d better get on the record now before someone accuses me of “hiding” something. On the 22nd of December I made a comment on my blog about receiving a new piece of hardware, but I mentioned that I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to talk about it yet - because the hardware wasn’t released yet and not up on the OEMs Web site for sale. Obviously now that this story has gone public, I can, so here’s the story."</i><br /><br />This isn't exactly on-topic for Smartphone Thoughts, but I felt that the issue was important enough (since it involves my personal integrity) that I should step up and make sure everyone knows the history of this issue and my stance on it. It's a very long post (I started working on it yesterday), but I think it covers everything about this issue. Comments here (or there) are welcome.

Rocco Augusto
12-29-2006, 10:17 PM
i really wouldn't call what Microsoft did as "bribing". If I was in Microsoft's position I would have done the same thing. On a side note, I have been running Vista RC2's Media Center on my new laptop and so far it has worked like a champ with my new Hybrid ASTC/NTSC TV Tuner.

If you are a user of MCE 2005, I would seriously look at upgrading to Vista when it gets released to the public. The new interface is so refreshing to look at and everything justs works beautifully. :)

Also, Jason, that new computer you got is HUGE, but I want one ;)

Jerry Raia
12-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Microsoft doesn't need to bribe anyone. Last time I looked they were doing just fine. This is all just sour grapes. I read through some of the blogs. I wasn't too impressed with the thinking and reasoning displayed. I suspect a good number of those blogs will join the 404 club eventually. :lol:

Pony99CA
12-30-2006, 01:07 AM
Hey, as long as you don't start posting tons of pro-Microsoft Vista pieces (especially on Pocket PC Thoughts and Smartphone Thoughts), this is much ado about nothing.

If Microsoft offered me a free PC, I'd happily take it -- as long as there were no strings attached. I'll take money from the tobacco and oil industries, too, but they shouldn't expect Christmas cards from me. :lol:

Steve

OSUKid7
12-30-2006, 01:39 AM
... this is much ado about nothing.

If Microsoft offered me a free PC, I'd happily take it -- as long as there were no strings attached. I'll take money from the tobacco and oil industries, too, but they shouldn't expect Christmas cards from me. :lol:
Nicely said.

I too don't see what the big deal about this is. :? Like you said, you get free stuff from companies all the time, and you're always open about it. It's unlucky for everyone involved that the hardware arrived damaged, but there's not much you can do about it.

If you are a user of MCE 2005, I would seriously look at upgrading to Vista when it gets released to the public. The new interface is so refreshing to look at and everything justs works beautifully. :)
I definitely agree. I've been running Vista Ultimate x64 for several weeks now, and Media Center is vastly improved. (Unfortunately, I've seen a few flickering/DirectX-like problems, and I haven't been able to consistently use my Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender... but that's for another discussion.)

bshpmark
12-30-2006, 03:23 AM
No big deal as far as I am concerned. Back in the 80's when Compaq was really going strong, we used to get free trips to their headquarters, free meals, hotel stays, etc. That's the way business is done. I can't recall how many St. Louis Cardinals baseball games I went to in the 80's and 90's as a perk from a vendor. Nice golf outings, etc.

By the way Jason, keep up the great work you do!