View Full Version : Switching between WiFi and cellular data on Dash

stevenf
12-22-2006, 12:43 AM
So is the Dash smart enough to automatically use WiFi, if a previously configured access point is available, and downgrade to GPRS/EDGE otherwise?

I'm still a little confused as to how this works. I get that I can turn them on and off individually in the Conn Mgr. But is IE (for example) smart enough to prefer a WiFi connection over an EDGE connection, if both are available?

Sometimes I feel like I'm getting EDGE speeds, even when I have WiFi on, and it always makes me wonder if I'm not doing something right, or if I should be explicitly turning off EDGE when I want to use WiFi.

What do you do?

lynch
12-23-2006, 02:45 AM
I am glad I'm not the only one who is confused about this. I have found that when my data connection is left on while I am also connected to wi-fi, my speeds are VERY sluggish.

What I do now is, when I want to connect via wi-fi, I turn off my data connection. When I do that, I get blazing speed using wi-fi, otherwise, every things are slow - much slower than when I just use the data connection instead of wi-fi.

Gavino1212
12-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Wow, thanks guys, that's something I didn't know. I've noticed the wi-fi'd be fast at times, slow at other times. I attributed it to traffic.

Turning the data off does indeed speed up the wi-fi!

Neat as this phone is, it does not auto detect and switch between wi-fi and edge, but it's pretty cool all the same :-)