View Full Version : Blackjack on Fido

porpackage
12-17-2006, 08:34 PM
I have a Samsung Blackjack unlocked on Fido. I saw the review on the Samsung I320.

1. Have you run into any issues with Internet Explorer connecting and timing out??

2. Does SPB GPRS monitor work on the I320? Internet Explorer and GPRS Monitor doesnt seem to work on the blackjack. However Opera and Pocket MSN works great.. just curious if you had similiar issues with the I320.

3. Also, what fido GPRS settings did you enter? Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike Temporale
12-18-2006, 05:24 AM
Hey Porpackage, welcome to the site. That was my i320 review and I've since moved to the BlackJack - since it offers better coverage. :D

1. Have you run into any issues with Internet Explorer connecting and timing out??

No I haven't. In IE, hit menu / Options / connections - I think, and turn on Automatically detect. Then, go over to Start / Settings / Connections / GPRS and remove the MediaNet entry. That's my setup, and I haven't had any problems.

2. Does SPB GPRS monitor work on the I320? Internet Explorer and GPRS Monitor doesnt seem to work on the blackjack. However Opera and Pocket MSN works great.. just curious if you had similiar issues with the I320.

SPB GPRS monitor was built for WinMo2003 devices and I don't think it's been updated since. I stopped using it a while ago when I noticed it stopped logging traffic. :? SPB has been ignoring the Smartphone market for a long time now. It's very frustrating.

3. Also, what fido GPRS settings did you enter? Any help would be much appreciated.

Under Start / Settings / Connections / GPRS / GPRS - I created a new entry called Fido with the following settings:

Connects to - The Internet
Access point - internet.fido.ca
Username - fido
Password - fido

Leave the rest of the fields blank or with the existing default settings. Delete the other GPRS settings listed under that menu, since they're for Cingular and you won't be using those.

Let us know how that works out for you. :D

porpackage
12-18-2006, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the reply, Mike! glad to see you joined the Blackjack bandwagon! Well This phone is great.. I just didnt know that Windows Smartphone lacks a data and SMS counter like most regular phones... do you have any suggestions?

Mike Temporale
12-18-2006, 05:50 AM
It is a great phone. I like some things on the i320 better, but the BlackJack kills when it comes to reception.

As for GRPS counters, I stopped using them all together when SPB's started acting up. I have unlimited data, so I was only using one for the fun on knowing. There are some others out there, but I don't know how good they are or if they even work on WinMo5. I can't think of any of the other names off hand.

porpackage
12-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Samsung makes great phones. I just didnt know that Smartphone software was so dumb... the txt msgs I gotten from people have the wrong time stamps... and there are NO data or SMS counters in the OS!!?? Does Microsoft think that everyone has unlimited data and SMS plans! Even a basic $50 regular phone has a data and SMS counter.. as great as this phone is, I am not sure about the software.. might have to switch to a Nokia E61. The GPRS data counters I tried to download seem to have been made for Smartphone 2002 and 2003 and do not record the data the BJ has sent/received.

Mike Temporale
12-19-2006, 02:40 AM
Samsung makes great phones. I just didnt know that Smartphone software was so dumb

Actually, you would be surprised to find out how much of the OS is modified and added to by Samsung.

the txt msgs I gotten from people have the wrong time stamps...

Have you read my post on the front page about time zone issues with the BlackJack? I'm certian that you would be experiencing this too as we're both in the same region. Just because something isn't the way you want it, doesn't mean it's a Microsoft problem.

Read my time zone post and see what you find. http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13145&start=0

and there are NO data or SMS counters in the OS!!?? Does Microsoft think that everyone has unlimited data and SMS plans!

People complain when Microsoft loads everything possible feature into something - complaining that it's bloat-ware and monoploistic. When they don't put everything in, it's shortsighted and stupid. Gee they can't catch a break, eh? Microsoft typically leaves some of these "extras" out of the OS and to third party developers. There's no data counter built-in to the Pocket PC but nobody is up in arms over that because the developer community has stepped up and filled the gap. If you're upset about this missing on the Smartphone, seems to me that you should be upset WinMo developers who don't support Smartphones.

porpackage
12-19-2006, 02:48 AM
Well when you pay $500+ for a phone you expect it to have basic phone features.... but I love the phone.. just not having a counter for data and SMS worries me.. but yes I did notice the Samsung homescreens and the little programs they added.

porpackage
12-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Did you happen to delete the Cingular MediaNet settings under Proxy as well?? Maybe thats whats giving Internet explorer trouble...?

saru7755
12-20-2006, 12:59 AM
Hey Mike, some questions about the BJ, currently i'm using the i320 but really like the BJ.

*what did u like more about the i320?
*what do u like more abou the BJ?
*how did u unlock it? (i found a guy providing that service on ebay)
*does all the services work, as it was previously locked?
*is it slower than the i320?
*did u try skype on it, if yes how was it?

i would really appreciate u helping me out decide if its better for me than the i320!!

:wink:

Mike Temporale
12-20-2006, 03:11 AM
*what did u like more about the i320?

Easy - the keyboard/numberpad. Onthe i320, the number keys are black text on white keys and the alpha keys are white text on black keys. Doesn't seem like much, but when the lights are dim, and you're quickly looking at the keypad, it's much easier to pick out the number keys on the i320. I also like the little square around the 2 keys for each number on the i320 keyboard. While it works the same on the BJ, it doesn't have that little square and I find it's a little more effort/thought.

The other cool thing about the i320, is the shiny black finish. It was a pain to keep fingerprint free, but it looked way cooler.

*what do u like more abou the BJ?

Easy - Quad-band. The improved reception is a huge difference. It also has a better battery life - not by much, but enough.

*how did u unlock it? (i found a guy providing that service on ebay)

I used a site called GSMPhoneSource.com It was pretty good - I think it was about 24 hours to get my code. Which was fine since I had to charge the phone anyway. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of communication from the guy. Once you send payment there's no confirmation or anything until you get the code. It would have been nice to get an email saying - payment recieved your code will arrive within the next 24-36 hours or something.

*does all the services work, as it was previously locked?

As far as I can tell - yes. There's no connection to the Cingular MediaNet stuff, but I don't want or care about that.

*is it slower than the i320?

Nah, these two devices are about the same speed - easily the fastest device I've played with.

*did u try skype on it, if yes how was it?

I haven't. I don't use Skype, so I don't have anyone to communicate with. There was a thread around here on Skype and I'm sure some one has loaded it on the BJ and could comment.

i would really appreciate u helping me out decide if its better for me than the i320!!

If you're in North America, then the BJ is a much better phone. The i320 lacks the required frequency to be truely effective device over here. If you like your i320, then you'll love the BJ.

saru7755
12-20-2006, 07:51 AM
If you like your i320, then you'll love the BJ.

Thanks for the info bro :) , one last things; where did u get it from? i found some on ebay.. is there somewhere else to get a better deal?

Mike Temporale
12-20-2006, 07:07 PM
I've bought phones off ebay in the past. This time, I had a friend in the US buy one and ship it to me.

That unlocking website - GSMPhoneSource.com also sells unlocked units. I don't know how the price compares to ebay, might it would be worth checking it out.

johnblaze
03-21-2007, 01:24 AM
Hi Mike Temporale and porpackage I've noticed that you two have been exchanging information regarding the Samsung i320 internet setups. I recently purchased an unlocked i320N a couple of days ago. Im also on the Fido network but it seems that no one can help me setup the internet connections for this phone GPRS, WAP, Pocket MSN and so on. Fido gave me all the information but told me to call Samsung to help me input it into the phone but Sam. Canada doesn't even have specs on this phone. :x

This is my first PDA style phone so Im quite dumb when it comes to setting these things up. I've tried entering the information in myself but with no luck. I was wondering if one of you can place a step by step tutorial on what to do for these setups. I dont mind giving you guys a couple of buck$ for your time, I already spent a bundle on the phone whats a couple more to get it to work properly. By the way what is WAP anyway?

I can tell you this though, I excepted much more ease of use with this PDA phone.

much thanks :o

you can email me at [email protected]

Mike Temporale
03-21-2007, 04:36 AM
Hey John,

It can be a little confusing at first. But you'll find it's not that bad once oyu get working with it.

First thing to do is hard reset that phone. I can't recall the exact steps for hard reseting it, but you should find something in the start menu that would kick it off for you. This will wipe out the last owners detials and settings.

To enter all the correct settings, just press Start / Settings / Connections / GPRS - If there is anything in this menu, delete it. Then press Menu / Add

The settings should be as follows:

Connects To: The Internet
Access Point: internet.fido.ca
User Name: fido
Password: fido

Leave Primary and Secondary DNS along with IP address blank.

Let us know how things turn out.

johnblaze
03-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi Mike Temporale thanks for the info. I now have my Internet Explorer working but when I go to the WAP browser it still doesn't work. What is this WAP browser anyway. It seems to be important because I here everyone talking about it. Is there some other information that I should set as my wap setup. I know fido sent me some info for wap setting such as:

WAP setting:
APN: wap.fido.ca
IP address: 205.151.011.011
Home Page: fttp://wap.fido.ca
user: fido
pass: fido

but I tried to enter this and it still doesnt work.

Also how do I setup the Pocket MSN aswell to receive hotmail email, I cant seem to get this right either. I think I should of just stuck with a basic phone :?

any new info will help. thanks again.

John

Mike Temporale
03-21-2007, 03:13 PM
I don't use WAP. I think most people use the term WAP to mean surfing from a mobile phone. Did you buy a data plan? If so, that's all I use. WAP sites tend to be a scaled down expereince.

If you really want to use WAP, I would try removing the fttp:// from the Home page you have listed. Also try it without an IP.

But to be honest, I wouldn't waste me time with WAP. You've get a much richer expereince with real data and real sites. 8)