View Full Version : Safe to use RAZR car charger w Dash?

traveler
12-17-2006, 08:31 PM
they both say 5V out on the wall chargers but the Dash is sumpn like 1A and the RAZR is like 110 mA if i remember right. solid line on top of dashed line on both.

thoughts?

thanks!
- trav

Sven Johannsen
12-18-2006, 04:02 AM
Does it even fit? I know the Razr is a standard mini-USB. Thought the Dash was probably one of those new fangles extended ones.

The Razr charger I have says 400mA. Not that much lower than a USB port. I have had problems with Motorola chargers charging other things, and non-Motorola chargers charging Motorola device in the past. Might not even see it.

Kris Kumar
12-18-2006, 04:08 AM
Does it even fit? I know the Razr is a standard mini-USB. Thought the Dash was probably one of those new fangles extended ones.

Dash has what is known as ExtUSB, I believe stands for Extended USB because the connector accepts standard miniUSB plug. It also accepts a new ExtUSB plug which is normally used for those funky ExtUSB based headsets.

In short, any miniUSB connector or power adapter should work with the Dash. I am using iPod's USB charger with my Dash. Don't know about the RAZR though but I am sure it will work.

traveler
12-18-2006, 05:24 AM
Kris is right in describing the port that way.

but i just don't know if the right amount of juice is flowing through
the charger or whether i run any risk of damaging the Dash.

obv. i know nothing about amps, volts, ohms, joules, newtons, kilopascals, or isobars lol.

thanks,
trav

Kris Kumar
12-18-2006, 11:15 PM
I have an iPod charger that produces 100mA or .1A.
And I have the Dash charger that is rated for 1000mA or 1A.

Both work fine. The iPod charger being the low end in terms of current production and the regular charger on the high end.

The Volt is what I would be worried about, but since all are USB chargers it will be same. [It better be the same, as it is the standard for USB]

The current rating on the charger is usually the maximum the connected device in this case a Smartphone can draw. Usually higher the better. The higher number means that the Smartphone can draw more if the charger can provide it. If the charger cannot provide enough juice like in case of the iPod charger then the battery will charge slowly, take more time to charge. I can wait, I have all night.

Disclaimer: I am not an EE, so don't take my word for it. I am just stating the logic that I have used to charge my devices. :-)

traveler
12-19-2006, 04:58 AM
thanks! that's $25 saved.... now...on to fixing the alarm clock, getting an outlining tool, mp3's to wake up to etc etc :)

Sven Johannsen
12-19-2006, 05:30 AM
Disclaimer: I am not an EE :-)
I am, and you are correct, with one caveat. The amount of current the device will try to draw is dependent on it's circuitry. The amount of current the charger can safely deliver is dependent on it's construction. One of two things can happen when the device wants more than the charger is designed to deliver. 1) current limiting circuitry in the charger kicks in and the device just chargers slowly, or possibly, not at all. 2) the charger can overheat, trying to deliver more current than it was designed for, and could be damaged.

The second is more of an issue with the physically heavier chargers as they still tend to rely on a transformer, and those are more subject to heating with excessive current. The lighter weight ones tend to use electronic switching and it is easier to incorporate the current limiting.

The short caveat is if the charger gets more than a bit warm, reconsider using it.

Kris Kumar
12-19-2006, 01:48 PM
The short caveat is if the charger gets more than a bit warm, reconsider using it.

Thanks sven, that is a handy tip to keep in mind.

Luckily I guess most of the chargers do not use a transformer (judging from their weight and size as you suggested).