View Full Version : Problem connecting to a secure server for mail with my Dash

bshpmark
12-17-2006, 12:14 PM
I am having a problem connecting to my work mail server with my Dash. The URL is something like this:

https://mail.cityofxxxxxxx.org/exchange/

Now when I type that URL in on my PC in Internet Explorer, I get a logon page that I can enter my user name and password into and voila up comes my work email in Microsoft Outlook.

However, when I type that same URL into my Dash using PIE, I get a message saying that the info I exchange with this site cannot be viewed by others, etc etc and then it asks, "Do you want to proceed?" When I select yes I get the following error message on a new screen:

404 Not Found
The requested URL '/exchange/' was not found on this server.

Any clues as to why I am getting this message? I am not that up on Exchange Server and using it with a mobile device.

Mike Temporale
12-17-2006, 02:09 PM
Hrm, not sure. My first thought would be that you need a copy of the certificate on your device. I don't think that would be required, but it might be.

My other thought, is that the URL is somehow getting changed with the message you are prompted with.

Does the /Exchange folder link to your Outlook Web Access? OWA should work on your device. If you're company already supports Exchange, why not Sync with it instead of just using IE to login and check email?

Outside of those things, I don't have any thoughts. I haven't really played with Exchange in that fashion.

bshpmark
12-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Actually, I made a mistake in my first post. I had only tried that link from my desktop at work and it did work fine. I just got home and tried it from my home PC and got the same message I was getting on my phone.

So, I tried setting up an Outlook Mail account on the Dash and connecting to the exchange server at work that way. Well, it seems to connect but then gives me an ERROR SYNCHRONIZING message.

Mike Temporale
12-17-2006, 02:51 PM
on the device, launch Active Sync and in the menu you can add an exchange connection. The add account in Outlook Mail is meant for syncing with your desktop or POP/IMAP connections. Do it under Active Sync and you should be fine. 8)

Kris Kumar
12-18-2006, 04:42 AM
Actually, I made a mistake in my first post. I had only tried that link from my desktop at work and it did work fine. I just got home and tried it from my home PC and got the same message I was getting on my phone.

Is the site publicly accessible on the Internet? I mean some sites are restricted to the work sites or work computers. So that could be the reason why you couldn't access it from the home or phone's browser. Just a thought. Maybe you should check with the network admin.

bshpmark
12-20-2006, 04:34 AM
Yep, I will have to ocheck with the network administrator. The person who sets up exchange is an outside consultant. I have tried every possible combination I can think of with server addresses, caching, SSL, domain names, and still get the "Error Synchronizing" message.