View Full Version : Non-Talk Internet Capable Smartphones?

mjayg
12-16-2006, 12:42 PM
I have Verizon but don't like the smartphone selection. I find the network is very reliable for voice and my gf and friends are "IN" so I want to keep VZN for my voice line.

However, I want a smartphone for email, surfing, writing MS Word docs and media player (music, movies) for when I don't want to lug my laptop around.

What options are there from other carriers for an internet capable smartphone with such capabilities? Don't care if it has voice capabilities, especially if it adds to the cost.

I guess there are wi-fi options out there I should look at as well though I'd like something I could use all the time. Not just at Starbucks. ;)

Thanks!

GSmith
12-16-2006, 06:03 PM
About a year (possibly more) ago, T-Mobile offered unlimited GPRS data connection for $30 without a voice plan. It was $20 with a voice plan. This suggests you might be able to get a T-Mobile MDA or SDA with the $30 unlimited data plan and without a voice plan.

This would allow you to be talking on the Verizon phone at the same time as surfing the internet on your T-Mobile data connection.

Verizon is pretty restrictive about allowing tethered devices and their data plans are more expensive, but you might figure out how to use a Pocket PC and connect (over bluetooth for example) to your Verizon data-capable phone.

Things to watch out for: Charges and plans may be changing as high-speed data connections become more widely available, and the rebates may be different than normal if you don't get a voice plan.

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Windows Mobile news, blogs, audio, video, podcasts downloaded direct to your Smartphone or Pocket PC
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

mjayg
12-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Looks like they have the MDA with a $50 unlimited internet plan. Going to look around some more but definitely an option.

THANKS!