View Full Version : Skype Adds Windows Mobile Smartphone Support

Mike Temporale
12-14-2006, 11:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.skype.com/download/skype/mobile/download_beta.html' target='_blank'>http://www.skype.com/download/skype/mobile/download_beta.html</a><br /><br /></div>Skype has just released version 2.2 Beta which adds support for Windows Mobile Smartphones. The mobile version of Skype is no longer limited to the world of touch screen devices. If you're a Skype user and interested in using it from your phone, then you'll want to check this out. On the down side, the install requires 12MB free on your phone, or 6MB if you install to the storage card. Don't ask me what the difference is, because I have no idea. It goes without saying, but... A high speed wireless connection is recommended. It may work without one, but I wouldn't expect to hear a pin drop. ;) If you're not using a WiFi connection, then you'll want to have an unlimited data plan or lots of cash to blow.<br /><br />I have zero contacts on Skype. So I would be interested to hear how you guys make out with this on the Smartphone platform.

edgar
12-15-2006, 01:25 AM
I live on Skype. I have staff in Europe so its indispensable to me for both Chat and Voice.

However, even though my BlackJack is now SIM and App unlocked this will not load. It copies it down, launches and looks like breaks out the CAB file. Then when it gets to the "load to device/load to storage" (and they suggest storage since its 6M) it stops and says can not install.

I'm using the download for the I600. I have to assume its close to the same. perhaps my devie isnt fully app unlocked - how do I tell? the MS Security Config Mgr shows "security off"

bshpmark
12-15-2006, 03:15 AM
I've downloaded this to my Dash and it loaded and installed fine. It picked up my contacts from my Skype account just fine. I hope to try it out sometime this weekend to see how it actually works.

toby
12-15-2006, 03:39 AM
anyone know if this will work on an SDA?

edgar
12-15-2006, 04:19 AM
So I noticed the SGH-I600 CAb says pocketPC.... so I downloaded SkypeForSmartphone_Beta.CAB to my blackjack and it works!

Works nicely in 3G, chat is fast too with full animated emoticons even (mooning) :)

for SDA just try this http://www.skype.com/download/skype/mobile/downloading_smart_beta.html

but heads up, on Edge the voice is dodgy. You dont want to do voice moving around :) But with 3g you can still chat while talking with someone else! Data and voice at once rocks.

OSUKid7
12-15-2006, 04:33 AM
but heads up, on Edge the voice is dodgy.
I can definitely confirm that. I installed this yesterday, and while the setup process went fairly smoothly, a quick call to echo123 didn't work so well. I have yet to have it echo back what I said correctly.

courtwshr1
12-15-2006, 04:37 AM
I downloaded the new version for the SDA and it works perfectly (over WiFi). The call got a little choppy about 3 minutes into the conversation, but then corrected itself. The only problem is actually getting the phone to work like a normal phone instead of only in speakerphone mode. Does anyone else have this problem? --Orrin

saru7755
12-17-2006, 01:33 AM
The only problem is actually getting the phone to work like a normal phone instead of only in speakerphone mode. Does anyone else have this problem? --Orrin

Following is a quote from www.skype.com

"At the moment, Skype calls only come through the loudspeaker or a headset. We’re working on this, but in the meantime, please use a headset for the best audio quality."

:wink:

Kris Kumar
12-17-2006, 09:39 PM
Finally got around to trying it out:

In short it is a great first version. :-) Lots of features.
Not designed for landscape screen. :-(

Tried only the WiFi - the quality rocks. Used the Dash for my testing.

saru7755
12-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Finally got around to trying it out:

In short it is a great first version. :-) Lots of features.
Not designed for landscape screen. :-(

worked fine with my landscape phone, "i320" :?

Kris Kumar
12-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Certain screens like for example the caller id screen gets chopped off in landscape mode. The usability of this application is much better on the non-landscape screen devices. You can see more information without scrolling up and down. ;-) Otherwise the functionality is not hampered it is just the ease of use, and overall look and feel.

rogik
12-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Did anyone get this program work with bluetooth headset?

Kirkaiya
12-20-2006, 02:49 AM
I have downloaded the Smartphone_beta version onto my Dopod S300 (aka HTC StrTrk), which required me getting the cab file out of the Microsoft ActiveSync\Skype folder, and manually copying it over to my storage card (I have only 3.2 MB of space left in main memory, and so the installation would fail - it wouldn't even get to the part where it asks me where to install before running out of room), then using the WM5 File Explorer to find the .CAB and running it from the phone.

But when I finally did get it installed, it started up fine (if a bit slow..) and ran, BUT, I had to "trick" my phone into turning on the EDGE connection in order to get Skype to connect.

Maybe I'm using the wrong version (there was not one posted for the iMate SmartFlip/Qtek 8500/Dopod S300, so I used another one), and the Skype SmartPhone beta doesn't (on my phone) automatically activate EDGE.

So I would have to click my phones "home" button, start OTA ActiveSync or launch PIE and go to Google, which would start the EDGE connection, then "back button" back to skype (or use the nifty "today-screen" plug-in, which is quite nice) and use chat and listen to the nice british-accented echo-contact user, for all of 20 - 25 seconds, before my EDGE auto-dropped.

Does anyone know whether this is simply the wrong version, or if there is a way to force EDGE to persist in the on state? Otherwise, while a neat trick, I'll have to wait for the next beta...