View Full Version : Need advice on getting the Blackjack, unlock it, and use it on another carrier

subzerohf
12-12-2006, 04:59 PM
I really like to get my hands on a Samsung Blackjack. But where I live (Toronto), it is just not available for any amount of money. I am seriously thinking of getting one on eBay, unlock it, and use it with my Rogers plan. I have always been loyal to the carrier (still using my SMT5600 :o ), so I have no experience whatsoever dealing with a phone from another carrier. Is it a lot of hassle to get it going? Is the phone programmed to be loyal to its carrier? By that I mean, other than the SIM lock, are there other locks that may be lurking around? Any advice is appreciated! :)

Mike Temporale
12-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Nah, it's super easy. I got mine, unlocked it, dropped in my SIM and that's it. Oh, I had to enter the network info for data. But that's easy and quick.

Check out GSMPhoneSource (http://www.gsmphonesource.com) They sell unlocked versions as well as unlock codes. It took him about 24 hours to get me my unlock code. Aside from the wait, it was painless. Great phone too. The reception and speed is significantly better than the 5600.

subzerohf
12-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks Mike. I just got one off ebay last night. If it gets here by X'mas that will really make my day (or year). :turn-l:

edgar
12-16-2006, 08:31 PM
I called Cingular Cust service. Asked to have Intl allow serviice added (they do perform a credit check and try to sell te $3.99/mo package which I refused) then said I need it unlocked. The took my ESN and 2 days later an unlock code came in email for free.

Mike Temporale
12-17-2006, 04:31 AM
Wow Edgar, that's almost too easy. Who would have figured. Then again, you live in the US. I don't expect Cingular to be as forth coming as you found in unlocking my device. ;)

subzerohf, post back here when it arrives. I'll help you get everything up and running. :D

subzerohf
01-04-2007, 03:36 AM
It's finally here! :clap: Got it unlocked, set up GPRS for Rogers, guess what? "3G" shows up on the screen! I didn't know that Rogers had UMTS/HSDPA running. Pleasant surprise it is. Anyway, I set up OTA ActiveSync, downloaded all my contacts and inbox, and I am one happy customer.

I have one (hopefully) small problem though. I remember someone here (Mike?) mentioned that reminders kept poping up incorrectly. I have this problem now. Was there a solution to fix it?

Mike Temporale
01-04-2007, 03:57 AM
It's finally here! :clap: Got it unlocked, set up GPRS for Rogers, guess what? "3G" shows up on the screen! I didn't know that Rogers had UMTS/HSDPA running. Pleasant surprise it is. Anyway, I set up OTA ActiveSync, downloaded all my contacts and inbox, and I am one happy customer.

Yeah - the BJ is a pretty sweet device and it doesn't hurt that Rogers/Fido has better 3G than Edge!

I have one (hopefully) small problem though. I remember someone here (Mike?) mentioned that reminders kept poping up incorrectly. I have this problem now. Was there a solution to fix it?

That was me, and man it was a pain. However, it's easy to fix. Look under Settings / Date and Time and scroll down on the page and you'll see a field called Auto Update. Set this to false or no. You're problems will magically disappear. :D

subzerohf
01-04-2007, 11:42 PM
That was me, and man it was a pain. However, it's easy to fix. Look under Settings / Date and Time and scroll down on the page and you'll see a field called Auto Update. Set this to false or no. You're problems will magically disappear. :D

You're right. The problem has disappeared. It's magic... black magic... :black:

Mike Temporale
01-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Cool :!: Enjoy the phone - I know I am. :D