View Full Version : 7.2Mbps HSDPA Service To Hit Cingular Next Year

Rocco Augusto
12-08-2006, 10:35 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/12/08/7-2mbps-hsdpa-service-to-hit-cingular-next-year/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/12/08/7-2mbps-hsdpa-service-to-hit-cingular-next-year/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"A Qualcomm official has stated that USA's own Cingular Wireless "is set to launch" a 7.2Mbps HSDPA service this coming January (at the earliest). While we're not sure if that figure is theoretical or otherwise, nor do we know its complimentary upload speed, we've found that the service will hit speed-hungry laptops equipped with PCMCIA slots real soon. While upping the speeds of HSDPA services seems to be all the rage these days, we're glad to see such a substantial jump happening right here. Notably, Cingular probably won't be alone in such launches come 2007, as Australian service provider Telstra is already planning to hit its customers up with the same luxury, while a spokesperson from SK Telecom boasted that its networks were "already designed" to support the blazing speeds, insinuating that a boost in service could be just around the bend."</i><br /><br />Here is hoping that you will not be required to purchase new equipment to benefit from the speed boost! With my current HSDPA connection I reach speeds which clock in at around 800-850kbps, almost double the speeds of EVDO users in my area. I can't even begin to imagine what my connection speeds will be after the upgrade. Hopefully this speed increase doesn't melt my brand new Blackjack! :lol:

saru7755
12-09-2006, 02:27 AM
7.2mbps!! 8O thats pretty fast.. but with 3.6mpbs u avg at 800 :roll: i thought it would be more like 1.5mbps or so !!

Rocco Augusto
12-09-2006, 04:02 AM
7.2mbps!! 8O thats pretty fast.. but with 3.6mpbs u avg at 800 :roll: i thought it would be more like 1.5mbps or so !!

same here. but the up side is, about a month ago i only had edge speeds, so im not complaining ;)

Jerry Raia
12-09-2006, 04:57 AM
Can we at least get 3G working in Los Angeles first! :roll:

Rocco Augusto
12-09-2006, 06:06 AM
LA is a pretty big market, im surprised there isn't 3G there already :(

Jerry Raia
12-09-2006, 06:11 AM
Tell me about it! I have two devices I bought here that are 3G and there is no 3G in LA!

mbranscum
12-09-2006, 06:14 AM
LA is a pretty big market, im surprised there isn't 3G there already :(

Really. Although it's not showing on the map yet, Memphis, TN is blanketed with 3G and so is Little Rock, which surprises me. Little Rock is a small market.

mbranscum
12-09-2006, 06:17 AM
Tell me about it! I have two devices I bought here that are 3G and there is no 3G in LA!

It's my understanding that Cingular told SonyEricsson to bring out some 3G devices before Cingular picks up any more of their handsets. I think Cingular is gearing up to cover many areas with 3G sooner than later.

sojourner753
12-10-2006, 02:26 PM
I was in LA in September for the Smartphone summit and expressed my surprise at the lack of 3G. He said its all about when they can get their hands on the spectrum.

Jerry Raia
12-10-2006, 02:56 PM
I was in LA in September for the Smartphone summit and expressed my surprise at the lack of 3G. He said its all about when they can get their hands on the spectrum.

Alright, that makes me feel a little better.